D&D 5E Targeting Their Attunement

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Here's another, a passive ability for some of the constructs lurking around.

Ancient Interference
The construct has resistance to damage from magic items and weapons that require attunement.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I guess I'm not seeing how this is different from giving opponents the Hellish Rebuke spell.

NPCs/Monsters don't necessarily work like PCs, so I have to ask - when you give Hellish Rebuke as a "spell", do you limit number of uses? Because for PCs that burns a spell slot, and usually only Warlocks get it, so those spell slots are precious. And you at least get a saving throw.

This power as written can be used round after round, no save. Taking (avg) 18 points of damage, no save, for each time you take a shot at the critter would make most wizards I know question further spellcasting at them.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
NPCs/Monsters don't necessarily work like PCs, so I have to ask - when you give Hellish Rebuke as a "spell", do you limit number of uses? Because for PCs that burns a spell slot, and usually only Warlocks get it, so those spell slots are precious. And you at least get a saving throw.

This power as written can be used round after round, no save. Taking (avg) 18 points of damage, no save, for each time you take a shot at the critter would make most wizards I know question further spellcasting at them.
See, this is why I post my ideas to EN World. This is good feedback.

All of these "spell-like abilities" should have a Recharge, usually 5-6.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Okay, only being usable one round in three (on average) is a significant limitation.
Reworking the Reverberate ability. I decided to pull it back even more, and lean into the "attuned item" theme a little more. I'm pretty happy with it.

Reverberate (Recharge 5-6)
If the construct takes damage from a magic item or weapon that requires attunement, it may use its Reaction to deal 2d10 points of psychic damage to the creature that dealt the damage, plus 1d10 for each magic item the creature has attuned.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I friggin' love these! Consider them yoinked! With some tweaking they could also be used to function against certain schools or types of magic, if the old/modern magic divide does not work for someone's setting. For example built around 2E's "opposed schools" conceit.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I like the design space you are opening up, but I would have to play with it some. It might be too subtle for some players to pick up on, so maybe have the character's attuned items flare in reaction to the attack, and bolts of energy leap from them to the character's brow. Though, what if the creature is attuned to an item that is not nearby (like back at home base)?

Reverberate (Recharge 5-6)
If the construct takes damage from a magic item or weapon that requires attunement, it may use its Reaction to deal 2d10 points of psychic damage to the creature that dealt the damage, plus 1d10 for each magic item the creature has attuned.
Does the 1d10 additional include or exclude the first attuned item? So attacking with 1 of 3 attuned items would be 2d10+2d10 or would it be 2d10+3d10? I assume it should be "plus 1d10 for each additional magic item the creature has attuned."

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
If you really want to get really powerful, have a monster ability that can break attunement. :eek:
I considered it, but it felt better as a trap. (And even then, it only breaks attunement to one item...and the player chooses which one. I don't want my players following me home after the game with a baseball bat.)

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
Some of those seem... powerful.

A level 10 wizard has, what, 42ish hit points? Reverberate from a CR 4 creature in response to a cantrip can one shot that.
I don't disagree, but by level 10 the characters have a lot of powerful tools at their disposal.

But strictly for accuracy's sake a level 10 wizard, with even 12Con would have more than 50hp unless they were rolling (poorly). Most players aren't going to dump CON on any character- I've seen wizards dump Dex first. More often by that level I've seen 14Con on casters.

Remove ads