Imperial Zoo - Oh what a bestiary!

TheSword

Legend
It looks interesting, and I've enjoyed collecting a lot of the Cubicle 7 books so far. But it sort of feels like the Cthulhu bestiary - you can't fight any of them anyway, so why does it matter when you're just going to die?
Why can’t you fight them. It seemed to be a book aimed at providing a range of threats, but definitely filling out the foes for tier 2 and 3 careers. Even Caledair, while a mighty foe could be an option for a level 4 party, with the right magic items, equipment and tactics. Though I wouldn’t expect her to be easy. 344
Wounds… ouch.

Retreater

Legend
Why can’t you fight them.
To me, it just doesn't seem to matter if the thing that killed you had 90 Wounds or 300. Both are equally impossible to kill. And how often does anybody actually fight in WFRP? My group has had basically two fights in our campaign so far, against human opponents who nearly killed them.
Imagine throwing a dragon against someone?

TheSword

Legend
To me, it just doesn't seem to matter if the thing that killed you had 90 Wounds or 300. Both are equally impossible to kill. And how often does anybody actually fight in WFRP? My group has had basically two fights in our campaign so far, against human opponents who nearly killed them.
Imagine throwing a dragon against someone?
Enemy within is pretty special in that regard. Other larger campaigns I’ve seen have more monsters. Particularly Doomstones and some of the Ubersreik Adventures.

For a single monster 90 wounds really isn’t very much. Don’t forget ranged are probably getting +20 to +40 bonus to hit and more for close range. Outnumbering means melee are getting similar. Those wounds soon get stripped when people are fire pistols etc.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
This is more off-topic, but I just learned that cubicle 7 has been planning a new, entirely fresh campaign that would have taken players to Albion, Lustria, and Ulthuan. But it seemed like it got shelved.

Very disappointing. I'm really hoping that WFRP will be able to expand beyond the reprints they've done so far, but it seems very Empire-focused. I get that's the biggest appeal for a lot of folks, but it would be nice to get some content for at least Kislev!

Retreater

Legend
This is more off-topic, but I just learned that cubicle 7 has been planning a new, entirely fresh campaign that would have taken players to Albion, Lustria, and Ulthuan. But it seemed like it got shelved.

Very disappointing. I'm really hoping that WFRP will be able to expand beyond the reprints they've done so far, but it seems very Empire-focused. I get that's the biggest appeal for a lot of folks, but it would be nice to get some content for at least Kislev!
Wonder if they're shelving it to focus on Soulbound? (I hope not.)

TheSword

Legend

My pet hate is when people say Cubicle 7 is just reprinting. Surely you’re not discount UA 1 & 2, Archives of the Empire 1 & 2, Altdorf, Imperial Zoo, Horned Rat and a half dozen other original pdf only stuff. That 7 original hard covers on top of the reprinted stuff. Come on!

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Wonder if they're shelving it to focus on Soulbound? (I hope not.)

It wasn't clear why, but the closest explanation seemed to be (of course) GW didn't want it.

My pet hate is when people say Cubicle 7 is just reprinting. Surely you’re not discount UA 1 & 2, Archives of the Empire 1 & 2, Altdorf, Imperial Zoo, Horned Rat and a half dozen other original pdf only stuff. That 7 original hard covers on top of the reprinted stuff. Come on!

Sorry, I wasn't trying to say that it's just reprints. But there is a very big focus on recreating and creating homages to the original materials. Even the Horned Rat, which is original, is developed from the 1st Editions first plan for part 4 of the Enemy Within (that was replaced quickly with Rotten in Kislev for some business reasons).

I was just trying to say that sometimes it feels that the new edition's writers feel trapped within the Empire, and the scrapping of the Albion/Ulthuan campaign seemed like a lost opportunity to expand.

Remove ads