• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

implement expertise

hipnotode

First Post
i was playing about with some character consents, and got to wondering if there was a way for non arcane classes to change the implements they use without houseruling. Multiclassing, as i understand, only lets you use that classes implements on there powers (for example a wizard multiclassing as a swordmage could only use his longsword for swordmage powers, unless he took the "arcane implement expertise" feat). And the arcane implement expertise feat only aplies to arcane powers, so a paladin/warlock couldn't take it to use, say, a staff for divine powers. Hybridizing DOES say you can use weapons and implements from both classes, but hybridizing a character is often going to far into another class, and ends up loosing too much of what each. Don't get me wrong, some hybrids turn out awesome, its just some builds suit it more than others, and hybridizing your paladin/warlock to a paladin|warlock would be a little far if your concept is a tank that just dabbles in arcana to increase damage once in a while (although at least paladin hybrids can mark at-will, unlike some other defender hybrids...). There is of corse a selection of items that say in there descriptions, something like "divine classes can use this as an implement im place of a symbol", but you need to be proficient with an item to gain access to its properties, even with the specific>general rule, i think they are aimed at multiclassed characters. Also, they deny you access to other implements properties/powers, and are not available at low levels.
it just seams a little unfair that you can take one feat to gain proficiency with any one weapon you like in the game, but you want to play an atheist cleric who worships nature itself, you cant use a totem if you want, or a shaman who channels the powers of his spirit companion through his staff, nope.
is there any way, (maybe have WotC released liek a divine implement expertise feat or something i have missed) or will this kind of thing have to be houserulled with a general implement expertise feat?

-hip

Hellzon

First Post
Look at Essentials. Someone else will have to quote rules, but the rule changed so that you can use any implement you're proficient in with any of your implement powers (weapon/implement users still have to perform shenanigans).
By that rule, your atheist cleric is just one Shaman/Druid multiclass feat away from casting all his cleric powers thorugh a totem (or a staff in the Druid case, duh).

Remove ads