Implements, Arcane and Divine

TheLordWinter

First Post
My apologies if this has already been asked, but I checked the Player's Handbook and couldn't quite find a satisfactory answer to my question: If a player has multiclassed or is a Half-Elf (and thus benefits from Dilettante) can an Implement of one type (Symbol or Rod,Staff,Wand,Orb) work with powers from another power source?

By way of example, my current party has a Half-Elf Paladin who selected "Thunderwave" for his Dilettante power. Will his Holy Symbol benefit his "Thunderwave" the same as his "On Pain of Death", since both powers have the Implement keyword?

Tale

First Post
Not by RAW. And also by RAW, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be able to use a wizard implement for it anyway. So, he's out of luck on implements to use for it.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
RIght - the Arcane Initiate feat specifies that the character can use wizard implements with wizard powers, while Half-Elf Dilettante does not.

-Hyp.

Unferth

First Post
The ability to use an implement is a class feature; each class lists the exact rules in the text block that tells you which implements the class uses. As I recall, each class says it can use the appropriate implements on "paladin powers" or "wizard powers" or so forth. So your half-elf paladin can't use his holy symbol on non-paladin powers, including Thunderwave. The various multiclassing feats generally grant the ability to use that class's implements with powers from the class you multiclass into. If the half-elf took the wizard multiclassing feat, he'd gain the ability to use wands, orbs or staves on wizard powers - including his racially granted Thunderwave. This isn't likely to be a good choice for the paladin, even if he has the intelligence to qualify for the feat, since he will probably have neither a level-appropriate wizard implement nor a spare hand to hold it in. But it can be good for classes that overlap implements, such as a paladin/cleric mix or a wizard/warlock mix using wands.

Paul Strack

First Post
As other's pointed out, to use the implement for your dilettante power, you should either multi-class into the class having that power or should take a power from a class that shares an implement with your class (paladin with a cleric power or warlock with a wizard power).

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
... or should take a power from a class that shares an implement with your class (paladin with a cleric power or warlock with a wizard power).

Doesn't help.

A paladin doesn't get to use a holy symbol for just any divine power.

"A paladin wearing or holding a magic holy symbol can add its enhancement bonus to the attack rolls and damage rolls of paladin powers, as well as paladin paragon path powers, that have the implement keyword."

A half-elf paladin who takes Lance of Faith as his Dilettante power cannot add his magic holy symbol's enhancement bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls with Lance of Faith, because Lance of Faith is neither a paladin power nor a paladin paragon path power.

-Hyp.

Remove ads