• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Important! Interview opportunity - what do you want to know about the GSL?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Oldtimer said:
I think you are misinformed, Mike. The last communication from WotC directly to third party publishers was March 19.

I would be very careful before correcting a WotC staff member about private emails to which you are not party. Not that I would confirm or deny anything, but I imagine Mike rolled his eyes at seeing that post.

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
Morrus said:
I would be very careful before correcting a WotC staff member about private emails to which you are not party. Not that I would confirm or deny anything, but I imagine Mike rolled his eyes at seeing that post.
I'm sorry, Morrus. I should have said "general communications". If WotC chooses to email single parties privately, I obviously would know nothing about it.

But there has been no general communications with the NDA signatories since March 19.

smetzger

Explorer
Mike_Lescault said:
In this case, while this topic is certainly important to the community, it's really aimed at the third party publishers. Those folks get their information and updates from the WotC staff managing those relationships (Linae, Scott et al). And while I want to make sure the community has as much information as possible, the information is less time sensitive than it would be for someone deciding...oh, whether to keep banging on the "connect to server" button or to go outside and brave that sun thing. =)

-Mike

WOTC may be in contact with some of the larger 3PP. However, there are many smaller 3PP that WOTC has not contacted. Me including.
All we have is rumors, speculation, and no updates or timetables from WOTC.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
JohnRTroy said:
...quite frankly, how WoTC runs their company is not really any of our darn business.

But it IS our business. As customers, we ultimately pay their salaries, and we vote with our dollars. If they don't run their business the way we like, they don't get paid. Now they can fire us, but they better have replacement bosses handy first.

Last edited:

Seanchai

First Post
JRRNeiklot said:
But it IS our business. As customers, we ultimately pay their salaries, and we vote with our dollars. If they don't run their business the way we like, they don't get paid.

Walk into a retail establish - say McDonalds, Blockbuster, or your FLGS - and tell them that because you ultimately pay their salary, you're entitled to see their financial statements. Tell them you want to go in back and inspect operations, and, when you're done, you'll go over their books.

Sure, you can vote with your dollars - and I highly recommend that you do - but the idea that it gives you the right to know how businesses operate is silly.

But that aside, I doubt the vast majority of WotC's customers care or know about the OGL, the GSL, how open the latter is, whether or not WotC met the initial deadline they laid out, et al..

Seanchai

Delta

First Post
Seanchai said:
Walk into a retail establish - say McDonalds, Blockbuster, or your FLGS - and tell them that because you ultimately pay their salary, you're entitled to see their financial statements. Tell them you want to go in back and inspect operations, and, when you're done, you'll go over their books.

Sure, you can vote with your dollars - and I highly recommend that you do - but the idea that it gives you the right to know how businesses operate is silly.

This is entirely a political question. For example, we absolutely can access McDonald's and Blockbuster's financial statements, because as publicly-traded companies they're required to openly file them.

McDonald's -- http://finance.yahoo.com/q/sec?s=MCD
Blockbuster's -- http://finance.yahoo.com/q/sec?s=BBI

Voting with one's individual dollars is probably the weakest thing anyone can do. The right to speak, persuade, organize, and petition as a group is always far more powerful, if people think the issue is sufficiently important.

Seanchai

First Post
Delta said:
For example, we absolutely can access McDonald's and Blockbuster's financial statements, because as publicly-traded companies they're required to openly file them.

I'll assume you got that asking about financials was just an example used to illustrate the point. (But an individual store's financial information isn't available on Yahoo...)

Delta said:
Voting with one's individual dollars is probably the weakest thing anyone can do.

And yet the least annoying for the bystander...

Delta said:
The right to speak, persuade, organize, and petition as a group is always far more powerful, if people think the issue is sufficiently important.

What's the point of all that unless you're then going to vote with your dollars? I mean, WotC already knows that there are people out there who think they're not so nice. Unless the movement it going to actually affect WotC, what's the point?

Remove ads