"Impossible" D&D Quiz

Henry

Autoexreginated
The one about the first campaign setting would have been more interesting if it had been the first PUBLISHED campaign setting, which, if I'm getting my facts right, was Actually Barker's Empire of the Petal Throne. Arneson was publishing snippets in a fanzine as early as 1972 or 73, but the first actual book about Blackmoor as a campaign was in 1975, I think, and Greyhawk came even later, whereas Barker even self-published in 1974, with a re-publish for D&D rules in 1975.

A heck of a lot of things for RPGs happened and overlapped between 1971 and 1975, and a lot of them unpublished or fanzine-published, it's hard to establish chronology at times, which is why I'm thankful for people like Shannon Appelcline. :)

guachi

Hero
Calling a quiz "impossible" is a cheap way of generating traffic. It piques people's interest, and they see it as a challenge. For the record, I only got 90%: I assumed that Greyhawk was the first published setting.

This was probably the hardest question. Being a huge Mystara fan, I knew the answer. But it's the one I thought might trip someone up.

Same and same. Though I kinda feel like the answer maybe should be Greyhawk. I mean, if I recall correctly, the original Blackmoor volume didn’t actually have setting details. And Blackmoor itself, when it was created, was still in the proto-D&D stage. So even though it might or might not predate Greyhawk, was it really a D&D setting? Better minds than mine have pondered the question.

Also, when can I play the D&D Christmas Edition? That Sweet Christmas Edition...

For the record, I only got 90%: I assumed that Greyhawk was the first published setting.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Calling a quiz "impossible" is a cheap way of generating traffic. It piques people's interest, and they see it as a challenge. For the record, I only got 90%: I assumed that Greyhawk was the first published setting.

I think that is common assumption. But I would be chased out of the Twin Cities if I made that mistake.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
The one about the first campaign setting would have been more interesting if it had been the first PUBLISHED campaign setting, which, if I'm getting my facts right, was Actually Barker's Empire of the Petal Throne. Arneson was publishing snippets in a fanzine as early as 1972 or 73, but the first actual book about Blackmoor as a campaign was in 1975, I think, and Greyhawk came even later, whereas Barker even self-published in 1974, with a re-publish for D&D rules in 1975.

A heck of a lot of things for RPGs happened and overlapped between 1971 and 1975, and a lot of them unpublished or fanzine-published, it's hard to establish chronology at times, which is why I'm thankful for people like Shannon Appelcline. :)

Even more than Arneson, Barker is a sadly overlooked forefather of our hobby and a world builder on par with JRR Tolkien (though I don't think his actual fiction writing compares to Tolkien).

It's really just clickbait. With every new question, a new page is loaded, heavy with advertisements.

I guess this forum is on a slippery slope. If you allow advertisements for products, then this is what you get.

Remove ads