Improved grab question

Meatpuppet

Explorer
I have a question for all you "grappling" experts ou there

Here it goes: My friend the Kraken uses its improve grab special ability to start a grapple with a smaller opponent. If the big squid takes the -20 penalty (see below), can it use its improved grab ability on other smaller opponents?

To be more precise: by taking the -20 penalty, could a Kraken "hold" several foes? Would it have to take an additional -20 penalty for each additional opponent it attempts to grab?
IMPROVED GRAB EXCERPT (SRD)
The creature has the option to conduct the grapple normally, or simply use the part of its body it used in the improved grab to hold the opponent. If it chooses to do the latter, it takes a -20 penalty on grapple checks, but is not considered grappled itself; the creature does not lose its Dexterity bonus to AC, still threatens an area, and can use its remaining attacks against other opponents.

Thanks in advance

kreynolds

First Post
Meatpuppet said:
If the big squid takes the -20 penalty (see below), can it use its improved grab ability on other smaller opponents?

To be more precise: by taking the -20 penalty, could a Kraken "hold" several foes?

I read it as such. Not 100% sure if I am correct though. :)

Meatpuppet said:
Would it have to take an additional -20 penalty for each additional opponent it attempts to grab?

They would not stack, if that's what you're asking. So the second opponenet would not be at -40, and the third would not be at -60.

frankthedm

First Post
I'd agree with Kreynolds on that.

Also, a monster with improved grab can move after grabbing a foe regardless if it took the -20 to hit. A kraken's tentacles are kinda fragile, so it should be moving away from those who could chop its limbs too badly.

Meatpuppet

Explorer
While reading the stuff on grappling in the 3.5 FAQ, another question came to mind

From the 3.5 FAQ
... A creature that chooses to make grapple checks in place of attacks—that is, to damage its opponent, escape from the grapple, move, pin its opponent, or use its opponent’s weapon—is allowed one grapple check for every attack that its base attack bonus would allow (even if it doesn’t normally make multiple attacks in this manner). These attacks deal damage as an unarmed strike made...
How does this apply to creatures with improved grab?

Does that mean that a monster with a high BAB and improved grab could make multiple grapple checks and inflict lethal damage on each succesful one instead? (even if creatures with natural attacks never gain subsequent attacks because of a high BAB)

IMPROVED GRAB DEFINITION EXCERPT
... If the creature does not constrict, each successful grapple check it makes during successive rounds automatically deals the damage indicated for the attack that established the hold. Otherwise, it deals constriction damage as well...

Last edited:

Remove ads