• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 In 3.5 All Monsters Are Square?

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I just picked up the latest Dragon at my FLGS and took a look at the dragon counters provided on the poster insert, where it stated that in 3.5 all monsters have a square base rather than some being square and others being long.

This is the first rule that I've encountered for the new edition where I decided instantly to toss it out. Among other things it makes maseed cavalry charges sort of pointless. Not to mention having to rebase a lot of figures.

Just wanted to see what others thought about the new sizes...

jaldaen

First Post
Well... since 3rd edition does not assume front/back facing it makes sense (as the facing is meant to represent an approximation of where a creature *could* be during the combat round), but if you do use front/back facing then it makes no sense and the old facing should be rules...

This is just a case where the 3rd edition rules for facing i.e. no "front, back, left, or right" were not actually implimented by the facings presented in the core books... which with their "long" facings essentially ignored the above rule by presenting the creature with a definate front, back, and side.

My 2 cents,
Joseph

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Using less than your square?

The poster also mentioned something about including rules to cover instances where you don't use your full area.

A welcome addition in my book.

That purple worm coming down the 10' hallway,
2 warriors fighting back to back in the same square,
A line of tightly packed spearmen,
Mounted knights charging in a tight formation...

"The 3.5 revision will include rules for creatures moving and fighting in spaces smaller than their normal fighting space."
Dragon 308, D&D 3.5 Dragon sizes poster.

thundershot

Adventurer
Yeah, I'm still not comfortable with the square facings. It seems like it'll make it even harder to judge who can step where. Also, it still doesn't help that we don't have actual dimensions for creatures... I hope they explain it thoroughly in the 3.5 PHB...

Chris

dcollins

Explorer
I agree that this seems like a not-thoroughly-considered idea (a 2nd-Edition-kind-of-change, if you will). I bet it will create more problems than it solves, likely to be retracted in the next edition. Cavalry charges are certainly the first to come to mind; the fact that the facing contradicts the actual size of quadruped miniatures is another.

dcollins

Explorer
Anubis said:
Why would squares mess up anything? Cavalry charges still work perfectly, the charges just get a bit bigger.

Half as many attackers against a particular target force = half the damage.

Remove ads