D&D 5E In an adventure called Dragon Heist I want only two things...

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Why is called 'Heist' if there's no heist?!

Someone stole a bunch of gold pieces. IE someone heisted dragons.

We're going through the adventure now and my goal is to plan a heist of a neighboring building to the tavern. Because dammit, I want a heist!

Undrave

Legend
Someone stole a bunch of gold pieces. IE someone heisted dragons.

We're going through the adventure now and my goal is to plan a heist of a neighboring building to the tavern. Because dammit, I want a heist!

Ah so the players are investigating a heist of dragons?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I've run it three times. You never quite get the "heist", because D&D doesn't do that sort of structure well. (Planning an operation first? Have you seen what players are like?)

It's an adventure with a lot of cool ideas that don't mesh together that well. You're best to expand the ideas that entertain you and your players and let the others fade into the background. In my recent play-though (more on which on my blog), I spent a LOT of time building up faction missions and less on the heist - and the tavern was ignored entirely.

Cheers!

jgsugden

Legend
There was a heist. The PCs did not perform the heist referenced. While the story does not lay out a single path for the PCs to conduct a heist, it is certainly possible for them to do.

To perform a hesit here, they'd need to figure out a way to a.) Locate the dragons, b.) Take the dragons, and c.) Not be caught taking them. That requires the PCs to plan and be inventive - not something they can lay down in a pre-stock adventure. They may have been able to have an NPC mastermind that created a plan and assigned the PCs roles to fill in the heist, but that would remove their agency and feel really streamrollered. I would not have been a fan.

Regardles - while it was not my favorite adventure, we did complete it and we did have fun.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases