• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In case you missed it: WotC 2010 Spring Catalog

It's interesting to see support for the Nentir Vale (Hammerfast) in a sourcebook. Thus far they only did that with some of the adventures. Does anyone want to bet on the PoL setting getting more of an "official" campaign setting treatment? ;)

Also, pirates in (astral) space? Count me in, I love spelljamming ships.

morgul97

First Post
I've generally been a big fan of the 4e release structure that WotC has been using. However, I'm not getting this racial book thing at all. It strikes me as a way to overcharge for something that should be more compact and a lot less expensive overall. My vote would be for them to follow the same sort of format they've been doing and do like a 120 page book called PHB1 Races and charge $30 for it. The next year, they could do PHB2 Races. The schedule they have allows them to charge $10 for each racial book, which would be about 3 or 4 times what it should cost. I'm not a fan and unless those books are really great, I see no reason to buy each one individually, whereas I probably would buy it if it were a $30 hardcover.

Last edited:

morgul97

First Post
I've generally been a big fan of the 4e release structure that WotC has been using. However, I'm not getting this racial book thing at all. It strikes me as a way to overcharge for something that should be more compact and a lot less expensive overall. My vote would be for them to follow the same sort of format they've been doing and do like a 120 page book called PHB1 Races and charge $30 for it. The next year, they could do PHB2 Races. The schedule they have allows them to charge $10 for each racial book, which would be about 3 or 4 times what it should cost. I'm not a fan and unless those books are really great, I see no reason to buy each one individually, whereas I probably would buy it if it were a $30 hardcover.

amysrevenge

First Post
My vote would be for them to follow the same sort of format they've been doing and do like a 120 page book called PHB1 Races and charge $30 for it. The next year, they could do PHB2 Races. The schedule they have allows them to charge $10 for each racial book, which would be about 3 or 4 times what it should cost. I'm not a fan and unless those books are really great, I see no reason to buy each one individually, whereas I probably would buy it if it were a $30 hardcover.

I feel more or less the same way.

ggroy

First Post
I was hoping they weren't going to get into the racial books. But I guess they are inevitable. Interesting that they're only $10.

I wonder if this is WotC's response to Goodman releasing several 4E racial books.

- Dragonborn
Goodman Games

- Eladrin
Goodman Games

- Tiefling
Goodman Games

- Orc
Goodman Games

On a tangential topic, I wonder if PHB4 will consist of similar classes to Goodman's "Scythe and Shroud" book of 4E "death" power source classes (ie. shadow power classes).

Goodman Games

Last edited:

LightPhoenix

First Post
Man, they really have a thing for Dragonborn at WotC. Looking through MP and AP, Dragonborn get a blurb for almost every class. I'm not surprised it would be the first book.

Rechan

Adventurer
Man, they really have a thing for Dragonborn at WotC. Looking through MP and AP, Dragonborn get a blurb for almost every class. I'm not surprised it would be the first book.
Probably because every other core race has existed in D&D in some fashion. Dragonborn are basically "new", in terms of D&D.

Jack99

Adventurer
I wonder if this is WotC's response to Goodman releasing several 4E racial books.

I am a big fan of Goodman Games' products, but if you think the above for even a second, I will go out on a limb and state, in the nicest possible way, that you clearly do not understand D&D and the 3PP market/relations.

Seriously, you might as well claim that WotC decided to release the psion a year early because they heard I was working on the Mentalist... Which would be fun, of course, and wacky ideas like that really only have a place in Utopia.

ggroy

First Post
I am a big fan of Goodman Games' products, but if you think the above for even a second, I will go out on a limb and state, in the nicest possible way, that you clearly do not understand D&D and the 3PP market/relations.

You probably have a more optimistic view of life than me.

Remove ads