D&D 5E In FR, where do you plug in Blackmoor and Greyhawk?

Yaarel

He Mage
I want to post a map of the First Nations in Canada, US, and Mexico. But the maps are inconsistent, depending on organizing the tribes by language, material culture, region, and date. Maps today are after the disruption (collapse or displacement) of many tribal cultures by European immigration. Maps for before 1500 seem conjectural in places. Also maps mention only a sampling of some tribal names, and leave out many. There is a good map of 1500 organized by language with some detail for tribal names, but it only covers the US. I am unsure which map to use, for accuracy and utility.

As far as I can tell, the City of Greyhawk just south of Lake Superior is in Ojibwa tribal territories, while the City of Blackmoor on Hudson Bay is in Cree tribal territories.

Yaarel

He Mage
Here is an early map of what will become Flanaess, relating to the shared setting of the Castles and Crusades Society (C&C), around 1970.

Greyhawk (Castle and Crusades Society c 1970).jpg

You can see how C&C used North America for the geography of their shared map. In its southeast corner is a stylized Florida.

Arneson chose an area on Hudson Bay ("Great Bay") for his Blackmoor campaign, and Gygax chose an area on Lake Superior ("Nir Dyv") for his Greyhawk campaign.

The differences between the earlier map above and the later map of 1e Flanaess, remind me of reallife medieval maps that normally include spacial distortions and speculative locations for places.

Weiley31

Legend
Some corner parts of the world with Eberron being all the way on the other side of the globe and not in a sperate plane of its own.

see

Pedantic Grognard
Back when we had the Old Gray Box and its promise that "The details of Sembia, its armed forces, cities, and personalities are left for DM development for their own campaigns," I found it convenient to drop the City of Greyhawk in for Saerloon and the City of Lankhmar in for Selgaunt. They were, of course, heated rivals, and the infighting between the two thieves' guilds was particularly vicious.

bulletmeat

Adventurer
Back in the 'ole 1e/2e time frame we did this w/a large ocean and HUGE rock mountain wall between:
R.jpg

For us the avatar of magic was Zagyg for 300-400 years and then Eleminster for another 300-400 years.

Remove ads