In need of advice: laptop vs ipad for tabletop gaming!

Arravis

First Post
Apple products are inferior.

A couple of questions for you Lex.
1) Have you used a OSX macintosh for more than a few hours?
2) Do you drive a race-car? Perhaps a vehicle stripped of AC, Radio, etc?
3) Have you ever used the Microsoft Suite on a OSX?

I'm going to guess no.
Some data about myself Lex. I build my own PCs for PC gaming (lots of Team Fortress, DayZ, Crusader Kings, etc), I've only ever owned PCs at home, I build a new one every few years. As you can imagine, I game quite a bit (and use my home PC to build my campaigns as well) and PCs are great for getting pure horsepower to do gaming, nice stuff. I also have only every used a Mac at my job, I've been in my industry for 20 years and I've only ever used macs for work in that time. So, I suspect, unlike you, I regularly (ie hours and hours every single day of my life) use both Macs and PCs. Your points, are completely off at their very essence, but I will assume your attitude is based on lack of exposure (self-imposed, I'm sure). I can't make any claims for Apple's products beyond Macs and OSX (no iphone, ipad, etc), but I can definitively tell you, for example, that the Microsoft suite of programs (word, excel, etc) crash WAY more often on the PC then on the Mac. Again, I'm using these programs for hours and hours on both PC and Mac (and on many different PCs and Macs).

Lastly, I can also tell you that I don't drive a race car to work, that I enjoy my AC and my radio. My PC at home is a race-car, no niceties, no extras, a pure workhorse. If I want to rip video, if I want to make my own custom videos, if I want to do all kinds of things (and do them well that is), I have to go out and buy the programs. My Mac comes with all that stuff pre-installed, free to use. And overall, mac OSX has a general ease of use that Windows still lacks, unfortunately Yes, its more expensive to have the car with AC, radio, heated seats, gps built in, etc... yes, more expensive, but a lot nicer to drive.

I love my PC and I love my Mac. It's all about the right tool for the right job. Perhaps the people at your work have chosen the wrong tool for the wrong job. If you try to repair your computer with a giant pipe wrench and it doesn't work; complaining about how pipe wrenches suck isn't a very smart thing to do.

Anyway, to everyone else... thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it. My general feeling is as well that a Windows 8 tablet would be the way to go, but the cost are quite high on those, so I'll have to wait a bit. Unfortunately there seems to be no D&D 4E "killer apps" out there for any system that is a must-have to help me lean the decision one way or another. Again, thanks for all the help!

-Arravis

Last edited:

Mallus

Legend
I'm not currently running 4e, but I am running my AD&D & Pathfinder campaigns off my 3rd gen iPad and I find it's a terrific tool at the table. I wouldn't use a tablet for serious document creation, but note-taking with Evernote and light editing Word docs via CloudOn is a breeze.

I've stopped taking my laptop to my games. I see no reason to start again (it's heavy!). There's nothing I need to do at the table that isn't done faster/better on a tablet. Frankly, my iPad is my favorite computing device (and I work in IT).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Another example is Apple's notorious inability to run any Microsoft programs, such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. Though they claim they run them, they invariably crash.

While you are entitled to your own opinion, you are not entitled to your own facts.

I've been using Apple products since the Apple IIe* and running Microsoft programs since they became available on my preferred platform.

Of those 3 you mentioned? I. Have. Never. Had. A. Program. Crash. Stable as bedrock. And I run them in the Mac OS, not a Windows simulator**

As to why your lab's Apple can't use a flash drive, consider me mystified, since I use them all the time.

* and some occasional Windows machines

** Which I own and run to use certain products of smaller companies.

LexStarwalker

First Post
Arravis, you've proved the rule about making assumptions. Of the assumptions you made, only one is correct. I do not drive race cars.

I too build PCs. I've built high end gaming PCs, medium end gaming PCs, and PCs for users who don't game (what I would call low end).

I have also used Apples extensively. I've been using Apples AND PCs since the pre-Windows days (DOS). If I remember correctly, the first Apple computer I used was the IIe (or was it 2e...can't remember). In all those years, Apple has never compared with PC.

Apple had a nice niche for a while with the iPod Touch, then iPhone, and then iPad. However, that is no longer the case as there are now other devices by other manufacturers that do the same thing, only they do it better.

Apple is obviously brilliant at marketing, as it has been able to sell so many people on over-priced, inferior products. But at the end of the day, I choose my devices based on performance, not how well they're marketed.

You of course, are free to spend your money how you wish.

The OP asked for opinions, and I gave mine. I find it interesting that you feel the need to argue with it. You're not going to change my opinion, and I doubt I'll change yours. Hopefully, this discussion is enlightening for the OP and helps them make an informed decision.

Arravis

First Post
People tend to forget that Word was out for the Mac as long as there have been Macs (the first Macintosh in 1984 came with Word). And yes, it's typically more stable on a mac than it is on the PC.

Mallus

Legend
But at the end of the day, I choose my devices based on performance, not how well they're marketed.
Psst... it's this needless accusation that anyone satisfied with their Apple products is some sort of marketing-bedazzled tool that tends to start arguments. Note that plenty of IT professionals use Apple.

You know, it's possible to state your preferences without *also* claiming everyone with a different opinion either a) didn't do their homework or b) is a mindless follower of fashion.

Just sayin'...

Last edited:

Arravis

First Post
In all those years, Apple has never compared with PC.

This is the crux of the issue... compared in what way? For my work (graphic designer) the PC has NEVER compared to the Mac; a mac blows it away no problem. I'm sure you have your own point of reference for which the Mac "fails" but perhaps not everyone uses a mac the way you do. Perhaps we are using it in ways that is vastly superior to a PC (looking at you font management, color correction, and OS general stability). I understand that my view of the Mac is biased by the way I use it (ie graphic design and illustration) and in the same way my view is biased for PCs for gaming (I remember having to run a script to shut down the Finder just to get Marathon to run); but you have to realize that not everyone uses these tools the same way you do. If you take a Rolls Royce to the Grand Prix, its going to suck. I stand by the simple statement "You're using it wrong." It's all about the right tool for the right job.

As far as my reasons to use a Mac as a professional, it has nothing to do with marketing (I've never bought an apple product myself), but with it's actual every freakin day usefulness. When I do graphic design work on my home PC, it's a pain in the ass to deal with; when I do it on a Mac, its smooth as silk. That's not marketing, that's called direct experience.

As far as changing opinions... I don't expect you to like Macs or anything else for that matter, but when you make blanket statements like "Apple products are inferior." it just proves ignorance rather than knowledge and I'd rather there be less ignorance and more knowledge in the world.

Btw, I'm the OP.

-Arravis

Last edited:

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
There are a fair number of iPAD graphic design apps, if you have iTunes you can at least check them out for review and to see if it is useful to you. It may help make up your mind.

Remove ads