• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

IN REMEMBRANCE--2024 AD

aco175

Legend
I just saw this reading about Bob, the Red Mill Founder and not sure how I feel about it.

Former Dutch prime minister and his wife die hand-in-hand in double euthanasia​

James Jackson
Sun, February 11, 2024 at 11:20 AM EST·2 min read

Dries and Eugenie van Agt, both 93, died together as the number of couples in Netherlands choosing joint end to life grows

Dries and Eugenie van Agt, both 93, died together as the number of couples in Netherlands choosing joint end to life grows

A former Dutch prime minister and his wife have died hand-in-hand in a rare “double euthanasia”.
Dries van Agt and his wife, Eugenie, were both 93. They were buried together on Thursday.
“He died hand in hand with his beloved wife Eugenie van Agt-Krekelberg, the support and anchor with whom he was together for more than 70 years and whom he always continued to refer to as ‘my girl’,” The Rights Forum, a human rights charity he founded, said on Friday. The couple met as students at Nijmegen.
The Rights Forum described him as “idiosyncratic” and said that Van Agt and his wife were very ill, but “couldn’t live without each other”.
A Dutchman of Catholic stock, van Agt served as prime minister between 1977 and 1982. He was popular for his humour and for riding with Tour de France cyclists. He was branded a “Jesuit” and a “mystic” by political rivals.

“Double euthanasia” is rare but has been on the rise in the Low Countries, which have some of the most liberal euthanasia laws in the world. There were 26 there in 2020 and 58 in 2022, out of a total of 9000 cases of euthanasia.
Euthanasia and assisted suicide have been legal in the Netherlands since 2002 under specific conditions.
Jozef van der Heijden, a former MP from van Agt’s party, and his wife Gonnie died in a double euthanasia in 2016.
Constance de Vries of the Euthanasia Expertise Center told De Volkskraant, a broadsheet newspaper: “Many people dread the prospect of having to continue on their own, especially when they are 80 and no longer so flexible.”

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Seiji Ozawa died earlier this week at 88. He was the conductor of the Boston Symphony for 30 years and conducted the opening ceremony for the 98 Olympics in Nagano. I mostly remember him from when I was a kid for his muppet hair that would bob along with him and kind of became his trademark.

View attachment 345800

My mom, Japanese, loved classical music, and we lived in Boston for most of his time at the BSO. Saw him conduct several times, and was always amazed at his hair - but never appreciated his artistry until later in life. Youth, as they say, is wasted on the young

MarkB

Legend
Steve Wright, presenter on BBC Radio 2, has passed away.

Was announced as breaking news at 5pm. Hit me harder than expected - his voice on the radio has woken me up every Sunday for years, and before then I'd listened to his afternoon shows on Radio 1 and Radio 2 since my late teens.

General_Tangent

Adventurer
Steve Wright, presenter on BBC Radio 2, has passed away.

Was announced as breaking news at 5pm. Hit me harder than expected - his voice on the radio has woken me up every Sunday for years, and before then I'd listened to his afternoon shows on Radio 1 and Radio 2 since my late teens.
I remember listening to his afternoon show, such a great voice and a wonderful cast of characters.

The captain with the fishy fingers :)

Remove ads