D&D General In Search of "the" Ideal Monster Presentation

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I might interpret that entry as "amongst many there is a naive superstition that..."
I've always interpreted alignment like that - it's the propaganda that their enemies use against them and the ignorant believe it.

Which isn't to say that there aren't individuals who are horrible people. Of course there are.

Retros_x

Explorer
That's fair; though new monsters could always be introduced in setting and-or adventure books, with full write-ups and stats given there.

Particiuarly if I'm writing an adventure out, I'm more "I want to put a sphinx in this room - where do I look to find its stats to I can wirte a short-form stat block into the module?"

I'm really hoping to get away from having to have multiple books for this.
I don't understand how want having new monsters only in adventures and settings but don't want to have multiple books. These wishes doesn't make too much sense to me side by side. But to be a little bit mean, I am not too much worried that your wish will ever be fullfilled ;)

Retros_x

Explorer
@Sacrosanct Nice! Something slim like that for a simple monster makes sense and I like how you’re paying attention to accessibility / readability. While I’m accustomed to reading those condensed AD&D in-line style stat blocks, I don’t think they’re intuitive for newer players & definitely not great if you have dyslexia or other challenges with “grokking” condensed technical writing.

I actually did a similar take on a faerie goblin… using a five line model:
1-NAME
2-Immediately necessary stats roughly in order of appearance during play
3-Combat action
4-Exploration trait/note
5-Roleplay trait/note

GOBLIN
Perception 9; Initiative +2; AC 13; HP 6; Spd 30’; Save -1
Combat: Shortsword/bow (60’) Hit +4, Dmg 5 (1d6+2), and it Disengages or Hides (+4)
Exploration: Tracks obfuscated to seem like 1/4 or 4x number
Interaction: When PC fails Wis or Cha roll vs goblin, it learns their heart’s desire

I know this sort of thing isn’t “nuts & bolts” enough for 5e which favors tiny adjustments to the odds, and it’s not “cool moves” enough for those enjoying a very tactical 4e play style. And it requires all kinds of GM interpretation too, which goes against the grain for players enjoying more rules codification like Pathfinder. So I’m not sure who would really enjoy that style besides the odd duck like me with a foot in the 5e and OSR worlds.
I love that approach! My statblocks in my own notes already look kinda like the first three lines, but I really like these other lines which provide actionable points for exploration and social (?) context too. I think will steal this and adapt to my own needs, I really dig it so thanks for that!

Remove ads