D&D General In the Beginning ...

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Chaos and Law created the stars and the planets and the moons and the other cosmic objects and bodies.

Sol (a star god) marries Gaia (a planet goddess) and become the Sun and Earth. They create life on Earth with Sol's angels and Gaia's fey.

The 3 moons of Gaia have big moods about this wedding. Chandra is fine with it. Luna is envious of Gaia. Monday is jealous of Sol and creates demons to strain the marriage hoping for a divorce. Chandra doesn't care aout this wedding and wants her own man now.

Various religions are blatant shipping wars between stars, planets, and moons by the mortals.

Sunist Religions
  • True Sunism. Sol and Gaia created life and protect the lives they created.
  • Lunarism. Sol may have knocked up Gaia and married her but Luna is the one who raised the baby. Luna deserves to be Sol's wife. Gaia is a bad mom who volcanoes people. (popular with people who live near volcanos or near fault lines)
  • Sunday-Monday Church. Something drow BL fangirls thought up.
Moonist Religions
  • True Earthism. Sunism but with more focus on Gaia.
  • True Moonism. People who think Gaia should leave Sol for Monday. Big fans of demons.
  • Second Moonism. People who think Monday should give up on Gaia and get with Chandra. Only with 2 divine pairs can everyone reach harmony. Big fans of fiery demons.
  • Third Moonism. Second Moonism but Monday marries Luna instead.
  • Fourth Moonism. Why should Monday make just one goddess unhappy if he can make all the goddesses unhappy?

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Islands World: the world rests upon sleeping dragons/turtles. Someday they will wake, and the world will end, though new children will be born, live, and eventually slumber, allowing a new world to grow on and around them.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Typically not. Or, more specifically, I expect each culture in the world to have its own, and I don't specify all of them. They don't really matter, unless they are relevant to the plot.

Now that's a cool idea!
Thanks! It all started with thinking about an apocalypse game without zombies. And then how do you do a nuclear winter in fantasy? And spiralled out of control. There's a setting book for Savage Worlds that I lifted some ideas from/stole from called Winter Eternal, plus I took things from Monte Cook's Requiem for a God which deals with issues about a god's 'corpse'.

Shiroiken

Legend
I'm interested in creation myths, but in general they seldom matter in an RPG. Greyhawk, my favorite setting no has creation myth because records from more than a 1000 years ago are lost after the Twin Cataclysms. The gods don't care enough to tell the priesthood, because everyone's far more interested in the present.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I'm interested in creation myths, but in general they seldom matter in an RPG. Greyhawk, my favorite setting no has creation myth because records from more than a 1000 years ago are lost after the Twin Cataclysms. The gods don't care enough to tell the priesthood, because everyone's far more interested in the present.

The creation myths in official setting don't matter by design. D&D clerics don't really do much religious stuff by default. They are warriors sent by churches to crush enemies, protect flock, and bring back riches.

But it is easy to make a creation myth matter.

What is created can be destroyed or altered. And the processes can affect both immortal and mortal.

Remove ads