In the Mead-Hall of Hrothgar

Maerdwyn

First Post
Two score and more have gathered before King Hygelac of the Göts in his hall, to hear Beowulf’s challenge. Today, all will know their king’s metel, and whether the Scyld-Danes would still, in years to come, be troubled. For although Hrothgar, the Danes' king, had implored the great Ring-Giver Hygelac for aid, but none had yet been given, to this day.

The Name of the fiend that troubled the Danes was known in Götaland, but never spoken, lest it turn its evil face toward Halland. Now when Hrothgar had first begged his cousin, Beowulf had been Hygelac’s thegn for but one year. Yet still, the young hero asked to go to the Scyld-Danes. In that year, though, the Göts and the Sveon still warred: Hygelac would not spare Beowulf, and no others dared to go. In one more year, Beowulf again begged to be sent Daneland, to rid King Hrothgar of his troubles, but the Göts and the Sveon still warred: Hygelac would not spare Beowulf, and no others dared to go. And so it was for ten years more, until at last the backs of the Sveon were broken over Beowulf’s knee.

Today, then, Beowulf stands before his king, with the best of the Göts behind him, for a twelfth time. He speaks with a loud voice that shakes the air and stirs hearts as thunder: “A generous Ring-Giver is my king. He has broken the Sveon, and their shields adorn his hall – but their helmets and rings adorn his own men. So many treasures has he given me that I cannot carry them all. And yet today I ask him for one more boon: Oh King Hygelac, let me go to your cousin – let me lift the clouds that darken the fires of Heorot. Let me slay the Grendel, and bring you the glory and the bright silver of the grateful Danes!"

At this, King Hygelac frowns for a moment, for his thegn has trapped him by use of the beast’s Name: the old king knows the beast must now fall or he himself surely will. But the Hygelac’s frown vanishes from his face, and is replaced by calm. He speaks in a quiet voice, one rasping with age and old wounds, but all men hear him. “Very well, Beowulf, son of Ecgtheow: As your neck is so stiff, I shall grant your boon--” The men behind Beowulf cheer at this pronouncement, but the ancient king’s hand silences them. “But see that failure is as strange to you as good sense, Beowulf, or Götaland will soon become as desolate as Daneland!”

Beowulf pauses for a moment and speaks proudly, “My king is wise, and his thegn is strong. I shall slay the Grendel, and bring you a trophy for your high hall, or die.”

Hygelac nods then, and looks down from his throne to the gathered men. Then, his eyes clear, he says “Who will go with this man to slay the beast that troubles my cousin? Who shall add to the glory of this hall with deeds of renown? Declare yourselves, so that I will know your hearts!"

Last edited:

Bobitron

Explorer
A massive warrior who has stood silent until this point steps forward, raising a large axe above his head. "I, Areld, son of Ultaer, will heed the call of my king! I will join you in your quest, Beowulf! The Grendel will fall to the blades of the Göts, or I will die trying!"

All present know Areld. He is a popular man of good spirits, a jovial veteran of dozens of raids. His father Ultaer is head craftsman of Hygelac's fleet of long boats, and well-loved by the king. Many of the gathered Göts nod as Areld steps forward, he had made his desire to go with Beowulf known long before. Even now in a time when peace holds sway over the camp, he wears a coat of mail, a prize earned in a raid where he personally slew six of the Sveon. His face is buried in a wiry black mane, but his eyes shine through the forest of hair with intelligence and dedication.

Fenris

Adventurer
From the side of the hall comes the sound of a sword striking a shield thrice. A young man steps forward. "I, Olaf Ravensblight, son of Oljar Ravensblight wise councilor to our king, do declare myself for Beowulf. It will be my honor to be present on this quest to fight along side thegn Beowulf and sing of the glory of this journey for all who return and all who go to fight with Tyz."

Bobitron

Explorer
Areld raises his arms high in a salute to the brave young skald, a broad smile on his face.

ooc: Can I get more of a physical desrciption of Olaf, Fenris?

Maerdwyn

First Post
Beowulf nods solemnly as Areld rises, the two men having discussed this earlier. There were a dozen men in the hall that Beowulf thought suitable for the journey to Daneland, seven he objected to, and others he would take only if too many of his chosen warriors disappointed him.

That Oljar's son is willing to come gladdens him. Though he knows little of the young man's skill in battle, his value in other aspects is unquestioned, especially if they are ultimately successful in the quest.

One by one, more men rise, and pledge themselves to destroying the Grendel. It goes well, almost as well as Beowulf could have hoped, until near the end, when Acwulf stands.

All present know Acwulf - the man craves glory, but lacks the courage to earn it. Last season a boy of only one raid accused him of hiding on the boats while others battled the Frisians and then taking treasure form the battle field. Though Acwulf killed his accuser, the question still lingers of whether he would have been similarly vindicated if one such as Ealdstan or Areld had seen his womanly behavior.

Beowulf attempts to keep the frown from his face, and he is therefore credited (for the purpose of avoiding giving insult to Acwulf) with having done so - but those who know him know the frown was there. Having asked for men, Beowulf cannot tactfully refuse Acwulf, and yet Acwulf cannot come with them, whether he is Beowulf's cousin or not.

taitzu52

First Post
Stepping from behind the larger men, comes as smaller, wiry young man. His beard is blond and full, but his blue eyes and fair skin still hold the promises of youth. Whether he was late coming, or unseen, he steps forward now, and in a clears voice rising above the din, says, "I am Briet Ilsunga. I come form no landed house nor do I have a ship to call my own. But I will swear to you now that my blood will flow onto the battlefield before I break from this errand."

He stands proud, aware of the giants that surround him, yet unwavered by their stature. He holds his chin high, and places his hand on the pommel of what could only be a looted Roman sword, and awaits his call.

Maerdwyn

First Post
Beowulf regards the youth with deliberate coolness, but it is Ealdstan who speaks. Ealdstan had once been a slave (having been taken from the Frisians as a child), but had been free ever since Beowulf had killed his master, and he is the hero's man, through and through. He is also a veteran of many battles alongside Beowulf against the Sveon. His voice rings angrily across the hall at Briet: "Bah - The places of honor are all taken, Stripling! Do you insult us? Do you call one of us unworthy of your place in this band?" More than a few eyes in the hall dart to Acwulf before all of them turn to Briet.

Maerdwyn

First Post
Areld [sblock]
Young Briet was one of the men that was acceptable to Beowulf, if not one of those target by him. Either way, he is preferable to Acwulf. Ealdstan's purpose here is clear to you: either bait Briet into challenging Acwulf or he will soon call on Acwulf to challenge Briet. Based on the youth's reputation, you would expect Acwulf to fall in that challenge.
[/sblock]

taitzu52

First Post
"You think me a coward? I would dash the brains from any mans skull for the mere honor of fighting by Beowulf's side." he looks around the room at all the larger men, seeing them size him up, "Or spill my entrails to the floor trying. Yet I know not your band well enough to say which one would be better replaced by me. Though the wise grumblings of the elders say much even to my uninitiated ears." He stands defiant, surrounded by a large brood of anger and muscle. Still, the height of his countrymen does not daunt Briet Ilsunga.

Maerdwyn

First Post
Ealdstan spits, and says derisively, "If you are so eager to have your guts spilled, you should have said so. "Acwulf, give the man what he wants! Show him how unready he is to take his place in Beowulf's warband!"

Acwulf blanches briefly, then manages to say in a strong voice, "There is no need. The stripling knows he is outmatched - not ready for this quest. He could be a strong warrior for Hygelac someday, when the Sveon rise again - It would be a waste to kill him now! He will withdraw," Acwulf finishes firmly, staring Briet down.

Remove ads