In the Valus - The Heroes of Marchford (Chapter 14 Continues - 12/24/08)

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
Yes Magnus was and still is taller than Funeris.

Yes many of us did not see that coming at all. Magnus was the most distressed about it. Something about having a LG Paladin in the party kept a CN Wizard from slipping to often into the Dark Side of things.

Yes we will meet the hulking fighter Funeris next brings in quite soon.
So much more to go with......

Yeti

Funeris said:
:)

You know, when I fired off that email, I instantly received a response along the lines of: Do you know what the hell you're doing?

OOC: I did not leave the game. I bring in another character. Did I want to switch PCs? I liked Tobias but I was getting tired with Yeti always boasting about Magnus being larger than the fighter. So, I brought in a character that was 7'2" tall and 400 pounds of solid muscle. :p

But, my OOC reasons weren't important. Tobias would not let Minetown fall as Marchford had. They needed protection. And...well, that's one of the descriptions for paladin, in my head. So, Tobias stayed...

(to Magnus' later dismay....mwa ha ha ha haaaaaa)

~Fune

Sounds like good reasons, both IC and OOC. ;)

Funeris

First Post
Well, the IC reasons are always the most important for me. Even with chaotically-aligned characters...there has to always be some reason. Now, maybe with the chaotically-aligned characters it is harder to know the exact reason (I'm chaotic in real life, too) but its still there.

That's enough of the mini- alignment/reasoning sermon, for now...

:)

~Fune

Funeris

First Post
Chapter 13: Family, Responsibility, and Voyage

“Mage,” Dougal grunted with a stern look on his face, “Write a report of what you've done here, and what you've seen, if you want. I'll take it to my superiors. May even be some money in it for you, may be just more questions. Your call. I'll leave in the morning, regardless."

The captain shifted his stern gaze to Tobias, letting his frown deepen in the silence. “Men up north say you earn what you spill, and all stories point to the fact that you and your companions have spilled plenty blood hereabouts. I'll not gainsay your offer to be placed in charge. In fact, if the majority of townsfolk agree, you'll have my blessing.

"But, know this: The post is temporary. You won't be paid. My sergeant follows your orders unless he feels lives are at stake, in which case he has my leave to countermand whatever orders you may offer.

“Also, the townsfolk may vote you out of your position, if they so choose, in which case my sergeant will hold the fort until a replacement arrives. If the Baronet returns in the meantime, you be polite, but you do not return his castle to him. And, obviously, if someone bearing the King's writ comes here with different orders, you follow 'em.

“No preaching your paladin sh*t, either.” The Captain scowled and sighed as he waved an older soldier over. “This is Sergeant Suth. He's ugly, but he's good during a fight and better after one. I'm not in the practice of putting my men's lives at stake under some unknown youth, so don't be thinking Suth will follow you blindly wherever you be pointing.” Captain Dougal stood and grabbed Suth by both shoulders.

“Help the lad out, do what you can. If he blows it, you take control. No whoring for a while, eh? We'll send someone down this way soon to straighten things out. Be careful who you open those gates for, but be just as quick to get out of there if the sh*t explodes again.”

Dougal glanced around. "Complaints? Speak 'em if you got 'em. Otherwise I'm heading around to see if the townsfolk are fine with this situation.” Dougal paused a moment to digest the stunned silence. He shook his head and added, “Send a group to start mopping up the guts,” as he moved off toward the town.

Silence.

The Heroes exchanged quiet glances. Ebbem moved away from the group, along with Suth, to aid in cleansing of the courtyard.

Motega spoke first. “I respect your decision. You are an honorable man, my brother. The most honorable man I have met since I left my homeland. I shall miss you.” The Rorn clapped his hands against the paladin’s shoulders and stepped away. He glanced toward his fellows.

“You don’t have to do this,” Magnus uttered. His eyes were red-rimmed.

“I do,” Tobias replied. “I cannot abide another massacre. We rescued them. At least one of us has to remain to make sure everything is order. It will not be forever.”

“I can only mirror Motega’s sentiments,” Fitz stated. The cleric handed the empty flask back to the Rorn. “You are a good man despite your deviant faith.” They exchanged a grin.

“I’ll miss your occasional bouts of wisdom, too, priest.” Tobias sighed. “I will need whatever equipment you cannot take to train the men of the town. And I would like to keep the jeweled dagger.”

“That dagger?” Magnus asked. “It’s just a simple dagger with a few gems!”

“Yes,” Tobias confirmed. “I will pass it on to the new ruler whenever he arrives. It is a symbol of the battle and our hand in it. Whoever holds the dagger will know of our hand in the freeing of this town. Whoever holds the dagger will be held accountable for any ills that befall. Whoever holds the dagger will answer to me.” The paladin relaxed his suddenly tense face and smiled sadly. “I will miss traveling with all of you.”

“I still say you need not do this,” Magnus sighed as he handed the dagger over.

Tobias stepped in close to the mage. He whispered, “Let some sense of right and wrong guide you in your travels, mage. I know you quest for power, but never forget your responsibilities. I will not be there to guide you.” The paladin stepped away.

“Until our travels bring us together again,” Tobias said. With a brief nod, he turned to join the soldiers in the keep.

The remaining three Heroes stood for an extra moment, taking in the scene, before moving toward the Inn.

------------------------------------

Apologies for the short update. Couldn't really bring myself to write today...had to work late...and I'm pretty much braindead now. Originally, I had thought about calling this chapter "The Breaking of the Fellowship" ;) but then decided it was just too dorky.

A couple more posts and I'll be finished up with the chapter. Thanks for reading.

~Fune

Funeris said:
I'm pretty sure those days of non-braindeadedness just don't occur much any more :(

~Fune

Don't worry, a few more years and it'll be so much the norm that you won't be able to remember not being brain-dead. That's my excuse, anyway. I can't always have been like this ... can I? :\

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
Talk about brain-dead, d@mn network apes around here replaced the motherboard on the work laptop and set a bios password. So now this is my only communications to the outside world sitting on someone else's machine. Lucky me.
Valus take me away.......

Remove ads