• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In the Works: February and Beyond

Scribble

First Post
So we are going to see Ravenloft after all, and sooner. Plus, you can now play Strahd.

In a more annoying note, did they always have so many novels in the previews? Thanks for that :-S .

I guess in the absence of anything else they need to preview something? :p

moxcamel

Explorer
At-will: Sparkle
Effect: Drive your DM into a real-life murderous range. Game ends. Life ends. Thanks for playing.

:]

Ok, I can actually see this working in a dark "Ravenlofty" horror campaign with players who could roleplay it properly. And if I decided to run/play this type of campaign, I'd be open to at least entertaining the idea. But vampire characters in a typical fantasty campaign...no, not so much.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
My complaint was mostly about the art, which I didn't particularly like. The booze goggles actually made it look worse.

Back to the topic at hand, I might find a use for a vampire class, but like most "fringe" options - as a DM, a player would have to "sell" me on it before I'd allow it in a "normal" campaign. If it was a campaign with a dark flavour, I'd probably allow it.

In any case, more options can't really hurt. Like I've found with almost everything in 4e that made me go "ugh," once I find a way to reflavour it to suit my world, I come around to liking it.

moxcamel

Explorer
In any case, more options can't really hurt.
Absolutely. And although in general something like a Vampire class just wouldn't interest me (it's been ages since I ran a campaign it would be appropriate for), it shows they're still thinking creatively. I'd rather see something like this than yet another book with yet more re-packaged fighters and mages.

Scribble

First Post
I'm interested to see how it works at least. It could be fun.

In my olden days when I used to be All Tolkien all the time- I would have been annoyed... (At a playable Vampire in general actually...)

Lately I've been world modeling more like a mixed up D&D Cartoon, Thundar the Barbarian, Goltar And the Golden Lance, Conan, Greek Mythology, and other types of ideas... So things not fitting the Tolkien ideal don't bother me in the least.

Camelot

Adventurer
Vampires as a class? HOW?!?!

I'm not one to be annoyed by things WotC does. I'm not bothered by the flood of races and classes. I'm not bothered by Essentials. I'm not bothered by the seeming lack of material this year. I'm not bothered by Fortune Cards. But a vampire CLASS is actually something I DO NOT WANT. Thank goodness for reflavoring. Maybe a necromancer, or a blood mage or something.

I'm just bothered because it seems like it would be so out of place as a class. A theme, sure. A race, definitely. But...I don't know.

Almacov

First Post
I'm a little wary of how this changes what a class is, but only a little. Why can't I be a "vampire sorcerer" or a "vampire warlord"?

Ideally the Vampire class will come with Hybrid rules and a Multiclass feat.

For things like vampirism, or lycanthropy, or... well, other conditions, classes seem like a pretty logical solution to me, so long as Hybrid and Multiclass options are there.

(By the by, I'd heard somewhere that Heroes of the Feywild will include the first dual-role class, but that the class will only be capable of filling one role at a given time. My suspicion is that that book is where the previously announced werewolf class that was to be in the Ravenloft RPG too, has gone.)

Anyway, one interesting trend that's becoming rather visible is how many concepts are being re-treaded in different ways.
Will I be able to play a Vryloka Dhampyr Vampire?
Should I be Shadar-Kai, a Shade, or use the Haunting Shade feat, to get my shady-shade darkgrim on? Some combination there of?

Don't get me wrong, I like having the options. I just think it's kindof cute how far one idea can stretch.
Similar to how I could drink Coca-Cola, but I could also have a Pepsi, or RC cola, or tuKola (Which is a cuban brand, and actually my preference, generally. [Though one I seldom get to have...]).
I could also use a glass, or a bottle, or a mug... straw or strawless...

Options. :)

I am looking forward to Heroes of Shadow - because, honestly, I could actually use more distinctly shadowy options. It will be comforting to have a decent amount of Shadowfell (Or Shadowdark, or Shadow...) material in case my players decide to head there. (Which is looking very possible in my current game. The Human Ranger has already taken Haunting Shade. :) )

Last edited:

moxcamel

Explorer
I'm just bothered because it seems like it would be so out of place as a class. A theme, sure. A race, definitely. But...I don't know.
Race would be the wrong approach. If your elven warlord becomes a vampire, he's still an elf, just a vampire elf. His race doesn't change.

With regards to theme, however, that was my initial thought as well: it sounds better suited as a theme than a class. But I'll withhold judgment until I see the build.

Barastrondo

First Post
Vampires as a class? HOW?!?!

Admittedly I'm somewhat biased, since "vampire as a class" is arguably the foundation of White Wolf's biggest hit, but I can see why you'd put it in that headspace. It's not about choosing "vampire" as a profession, it's about providing the greatest amount of variety in vampiric powers, as well as the widest range of power between lowly neonates and terrible ancients. The vast gulf in power difference between a 1st-level vampire and a 20th-level vampire is not that the elder has 19 more levels of fighter powers, or arcane spells, or psionic abilities or whatever, but that the elder has 19 more levels of vampire powers. The class mechanic fits the design goal of providing the most vampire powers. Something like a paragon path + epic destiny could work instead of a full class, but you would by necessity get much fewer powers.

Since we've already got the dhampyr as a "vampire-as-race" approach, I'm definitely glad to see the class approach. It allows for vampirism as something that develops as a character does, which is a tack I'd be interested to see explored.

(I do wish it weren't in Essentials format, because I think that the PH approach of more choices for dailies and encounter powers could really allow for further customization of vampire bloodlines, if you will, but so it goes.)

Remove ads