• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In the Works: February and Beyond

GreyLord

Legend
This could work, on a rare basis. Say an evil PC wants to become a Vampire, (or a Lich for that matter). Previously the way to handle this in other editions was rather messy. Now, they can be a person who sought out being a Vampire from the very start...or perhaps even become one later one.

Of course don't forget you can houserule all you want...for example my first requirement is that they would have to be evil.

I only hope that they make it so that if one becomes a vampire, they burn up if they go outside in the sun...and crossing that river is going to be a major pain...

lyon812

First Post
I'm taking a wait-and-see approach, but I'm a little nervous about making a monster a class, rather than a race. If they wanted to pursue that route, why not have a Werewolf class instead of the Shifter? Or a Specter/Zombie instead of Revenant? After all, there's no ostensible difference between "being a revenant elf" and "being a vampire elf". It seems terribly inconsistent. I don't know why shifters and revenants will have their supernatural quality relegated to a handful of special abilities, while vampires will receive an entire set of class skills and powers.

Barastrondo

First Post
I only hope that they make it so that if one becomes a vampire, they burn up if they go outside in the sun...and crossing that river is going to be a major pain...

WotC hasn't really demonstrated that level of passive-aggressiveness. They don't seem interested in punishing the entire party for one player making a choice that they're told is just fine, and therefore encouraging the rest of the party to say "You don't get to play a vampire, because it's too inconvenient to ask the rest of us to only adventure at night." It's in their best interests to build something not only that people will want to play, but that their friends are happy to have in the party.

I'm taking a wait-and-see approach, but I'm a little nervous about making a monster a class, rather than a race. If they wanted to pursue that route, why not have a Werewolf class instead of the Shifter? Or a Specter/Zombie instead of Revenant? After all, there's no ostensible difference between "being a revenant elf" and "being a vampire elf". It seems terribly inconsistent. I don't know why shifters and revenants will have their supernatural quality relegated to a handful of special abilities, while vampires will receive an entire set of class skills and powers.

Should it be an either/or situation? With both approaches available, each group can decide whether playable werewolves are weak (shifter rules), or strong (werewolf class rules), or even that there's a marked difference between a shifter and a werewolf. I see it as more of the half-orc/barbarian split, really: do you want your character's barbaric nature to be a minor aspect (half-orc race), or the source of most of their power (a full class with rages), or even both?

Last edited:

Mercurius

Legend
As a general question/comment/rant to those complaining about the vampire, what is wrong with WotC releasing rules options that you don't like? You simply don't have to use them. Don't like = don't use. It is just that simple. If you want Heroes of Shadow but the idea of a vampire offends your eyes so much, just skip over the pages or, if you have to, tear them out. Buh-bye, vampire. But what I don't get is why people get in such a tither every time WotC comes out with something that they don't like, especially something as relatively insignificant as a character class.

Don't get me wrong: My preferred thematic atmosphere of D&D is a hybrid of sword & sorcery and Tolkien, perhaps a bit more towards the former than the latter. I personally am not all that fond of Dragonborn, Shardminds, Tieflings, Wilden, and the other "Mos Eisley-esque" D&D races (although I do like Deva because they are aptly suited for the "Accursed Wanderer" archetype, but I digress) - or rather, I don't mind Mos Eisley, I just haven't been impressed with WotC's attempt at it (for a much better one, check out Talislanta).

To me it is quite simple: If I am a player, I won't play something I don't like; if I am the DM then I create parameters for my campaign world, which gives players a set of options that they can choose from. If I say "There are no Dragonborn in my world" and a player desperately wants to play a Dragonborn, I may say something like "OK, you can play a Dragonborn but you're virtually one of a kind as your people are from another continent or world" (A twenty dollar bill handed over under the table might increase their chances. jk). Or I might just say, "Tough luck, play something else." It would depend upon how much they wanted to play it and how much I didn't want to DM it.

Options are good. I can understand being annoyed if WotC doesn't produce any or very few options that you personally like, but if they produce an option, or some options, that you don't like, all I can say is: Deal with it. One cannot possibly love every single idea or concept that WotC churns out - I'm sure there are differences within the design team itself, whether spoken or not! D&D has always been, in the end, a toolbox game. Even if you play the RAW, you still are likely to place parameters on the game depending upon what races and classes are available, what your campaign setting is like, and even simply what foes the characters encounter.

To put all of this another way, and much more succinctly, there are lots of reasons to be annoyed with WotC these days but coming out with a new option like the vampire character class is not anywhere the top of the list in terms of legitimacy. IMHO, of course.

moxcamel

Explorer
Well the DM can do anything he wants, so if vampires burn up in sunlight in your world, then I'd say the party better stock up on some Mordenkainen's SPF 300 sunscreen right quick. :D

Seems like what they're going for with this book though, is adventures in the Shadowfell where sunlight doesn't really come into play. They'll probably present options for sunlight rules, but in the default setting it shouldn't be a problem for your vampire PCs.

Klaus

First Post
This is old news - we've known about this for at least a month. Plus, IIRC, [MENTION=607]Klaus[/MENTION] is the one that designed it - he's done good work.

It may not be my cup of tea, but more options is a good thing.
The vampire class was not my design. I did the vryloka, though.

BobTheNob

First Post
What I would like to see is the design commentry (you know, where they explain design motivations). The one they did for the assassin(/executioner) was sensational and it made me re-read it, and I ended up thinking it was a brilliant class. Also more recently the eladrin knight, which was also a really good article.

Its great to read the commentries on how the class came together, and maybe one for the vampire might put peoples concerns to rest.

Terramotus

First Post
(I do wish it weren't in Essentials format, because I think that the PH approach of more choices for dailies and encounter powers could really allow for further customization of vampire bloodlines, if you will, but so it goes.)
Has that been confirmed? Because Essentials format takes me from slightly interested to utterly uninterested. I just don't like the lack of variety.

Camelot

Adventurer
This could work, on a rare basis. Say an evil PC wants to become a Vampire, (or a Lich for that matter). Previously the way to handle this in other editions was rather messy. Now, they can be a person who sought out being a Vampire from the very start...or perhaps even become one later one.

Of course don't forget you can houserule all you want...for example my first requirement is that they would have to be evil.

This is why I will change it from being a vampire class to being a blood mage or something. Vampires are inherently monsters. They're evil, which is fine if you're playing an evil campaign. I like the monstrous races such as shifters and revenants, because they let you play "monsters" without being a member of an inherently evil race. I like damphyr, and the idea of the new vryloka, because they're not restricted to everything a vampire is. Vampires have certain weaknesses that define their being. And PCs having too many weaknesses goes against 4e design. Thus the result is a vampire without those weaknesses, which just means it's not a vampire. It's a wannabe vampire. And now I want to play Munchkin.

Remove ads