In the Works: February and Beyond

Honestly, I see all the reasons why it makes sense to have Vampire as a class. Yet it still seems wrong. Granted Vampire isn't exactly a race, but in general I think monster races should be well, RACES. If that doesn't work mechanically with the existing races, then change/extend the way races work! I don't think they should be races out of some narrow pedantic view of the way the game should work either. I just think race-as-class in general is at best awkward. The Vampire is sort of an oddball case, but even so making it a class is awkward.

Really, what is wrong with a race that has a whole bunch of racial features/powers? Just make them swappable with class powers. This is perfectly sensible and would be the most natural way to implement monstrous PCs.

phloog

First Post
Five page arguing about a class we haven't seen, does that say more about us, or about the lack of products in this preview?

Sure - I think it says that we like to talk about our hobby, and that we don't feel like a topic is off-limits just because of WOTC's release schedule. I'm not saying "WOTC should be sued!" or "I'm betrayed!" because they want to release a vampire...just saying that I'm leery of the idea. And from my OWN perspective and based on my own experience, I don't like the idea of the vampire as a class no matter HOW they execute...but it should be noted that I'm soured on all the conflicted Drow emphasis that comes up way too often. Just a game style thing.

Zaran

Adventurer
Honestly, I see all the reasons why it makes sense to have Vampire as a class. Yet it still seems wrong. Granted Vampire isn't exactly a race, but in general I think monster races should be well, RACES. If that doesn't work mechanically with the existing races, then change/extend the way races work! I don't think they should be races out of some narrow pedantic view of the way the game should work either. I just think race-as-class in general is at best awkward. The Vampire is sort of an oddball case, but even so making it a class is awkward.

Really, what is wrong with a race that has a whole bunch of racial features/powers? Just make them swappable with class powers. This is perfectly sensible and would be the most natural way to implement monstrous PCs.

I like this idea alot but we all know that the eVampire class will not be multiclassible just like the rest of the eClasses. Without WotC giving us the ability to mix Essentials into Core you will probably have to begin with the class.

JPL

Adventurer
Actually, I sort of like the idea of "racial classes" as a throwback to the days when you didn't play an elf fighter or an elf ranger . . . you just played an elf.

I think this idea might be better implemented by stuff like the eladrin knight article from last week, though: a custom list of class features and abilities for an existing class, rather than starting from scratch.

A dwarf racial class would basically be some variant of a fighter; an elf racial class might be some variant of an Essentials ranger. I actually see the swordmage as the best framework for building the quintessential eladrin (you'd need an Int / Dex build).

Scribble

First Post
Then why cannot races do the same thing?

Because a Vampire has enough special vampire powers that focusing on improving/mastering them is a full time experience in itself.

Most of the normal races don't have enough added abilities to do this, so they can focus on using their racial talents to improve other aspects of their life.

IE the elven knight we saw earlier, or racial feats, or powers, etc...

Or since, this is a game after all- when someone decides to write up a penultimate ELF class or or something, then we'll be able to use that character.

Klaus

First Post
A DM only needs to say "in this campaign, only elves can become Seekers, only Eladrin can become Fey Hexblades, etc" and presto, you got "racial classes".

Scribble

First Post
I think it might be neat though to go all Basic style and make classes for the races that are just them focusing on their racial abilities.

Dausuul

Legend
So? Just agree on a set of parameters for the setting you're going to play. Not all races have to be used in all games. Why are dwarves, elves, and halflings somehow not creating the same issues, yet nobody complains about them.

I've been complaining about them since 2E. :) And I'm not the only one--anybody else remember the Talislanta ads in Dragon Magazine?

[size=+1]Talislanta.[/size]
[size=+2]No Elves.[/size]

Remove ads