Incanter Base Class.....Comments?

UnDfind

First Post
Here's a new base class I've been messing around with. It requires a little more thought as to how many spells are cast and what levels they are, but allows a lot more freedom to decide which spells of what level to use. I'm trying to make it not easily overpowered, but not underpowered either

>>>>Edited 35 Feb: Subdual damage is no longer an all-day thing.

Come on...I know someone out there likes it or hates it...tell me why!

... Suggestions/Comments/Critiques?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

INCANTER
"My Word Is Power"

>Incanters practice a brand of magic known as incantation, which is highly regarded as the most base and barbaric of all forms of spellcasting. Incantation depends on the ability of the spellcaster to focus on one word. This word can be anything, but is never spoken by the caster, as most Incanters consider the speaking of their personal word of power akin to a blasphemy. Though verbal, somatic, and material components still apply, the Incanter depends most on his personal word of power to aid in the channeling of the raw magical energies that form all spells.

>Adventures: An incanter usually seeks true mastery of his magic through tests of his skill. They tend to see their quests as an opportunity to prove themselves both in combat and any other situations that may arise.

>Characteristics: The incanter does not delicately craft spells, as wizards and sorcerers do, but rather rip it from the ether and force the magic to do their bidding. The effects of this violent approach to magic results in a physical drain on the incanter, who can become severely incapacitated if he casts more than is wise.

>>>Game Rule Information

The game statistics for the incanter are as follows:

>Abilities: Charisma is an important for the incanter because it controls the level of spells he will eventually gain access to, as well as any bonus spells he may learn. Constitution is important because its modifier is added to the incanter’s wind trait, and provides bonus hit points that affect how many spells may be cast.
>Alignment: An Incanter may be of any alignment.

>Hit Die: d6

>Class Skills
Class Skills for the incanter are:
Alchemy (Int), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Knowledge (Religion), Meditation (Wis), and Profession (Wis)

>Skill points at 1st level: (2 + Int Modifier) X 4
>Skill points at each additional level: 2 + Int Modifier

>>>Class Features
The Incanter’s class features are as follows.

>Weapon and Armor Proficiencies
Incanters are proficient with all simple weapons.
Incanters are not proficient with any armor or shields.

>>Special Abilities

1ST LEVEL

>Spells: The Incanter casts arcane spells. To learn or use a spell of any level, the Incanter must have a charisma score equal to or greater than 10 plus the spell’s level (a charisma score of 10 for 0th level spells, 11 for 1st, etc). The Spells Known Per Level chart (Below) shows the spells known for each level. Bonus spells are earned based on the Incanter’s charisma score and are applied to the spells known.

An Incanter is physically drained after using a spell, and takes subdual damage equal to the level of the spell cast (0th level spells do not cause subdual damage in this fashion). Subdual damage dealt from casting spells cannot be prevented or diverted in any fashion, but heals at the normal rate. If the total subdual damage ever equals the Incanter’s remaining hit points, the Incanter falls unconscious until his hit points again exceed his subdual damage.

>Wind: Casting arcane spells is painful and draining for Incanters, and they rely on their endurance and resistance to pain to look past the discomfort. The amount of grit the Incanter can muster to put aside the pain of spellcasting is represented by wind. Wind is a number that is depleted by spells cast. Every arcane spell cast by the Incanter depletes the total wind per day by 1+the level of the spell (thus 0th level spells take 1 wind, 1st level spells take 2, etc).

Resting for eight full hours, and easing the mind of the burden of spellcasting allows the Incanter to regain any wind he may have lost the previous day.

>Summon Familiar: The incanter may summon a familiar as a wizard and a sorcerer can. Refer to the sorcerer entry in the Player’s Handbook for information on familiars.

>Word of Power: At 1st level, the incanter must choose the word of power that will be used to focus all his spells. The word of power may be any word from any language the incanter knows. Incanters generally feel that speaking their word of power once chosen takes away from its potency as a focus. The word of power has no real value in terms of game rules, but is an important part of the incanter’s power.

If the incanter’s word of power is ever forgotten or lost, a new word of power may be found by meditating for eight continuous uninterrupted hours.

8TH LEVEL

>Mana Counterspelling: At 8th level the incanter may use any spell to counterspell another spell of equal or lower level by changing the spell to unformed raw mana, overloading the target spell and rendering it useless. All other portions of the counterspelling action must be followed, including the successful spellcraft check. Mana counterspelling requires wind to be spent and subdual damage to be applied as if the spell used to counterspell was three levels higher then the spell’s actual level (this requirement may exceed beyond spell levels the incanter has access to).

16TH LEVEL

>Mana Emulation: By observing a specific arcane spell as it is cast, the incanter may attempt to cast the same spell once. The target spell must be an arcane spell of a level that the incanter has the ability to cast. A spellcraft check (DC 15 + target spell’s level) must be made while the target spell is being cast, and the incanter may not make any actions other than the requisite spellcraft check while the target spell is cast. On the round immediately following the round in which the target spell was cast, the incanter may attempt to emulate the spell by making another spellcraft check (DC 15 + spell level) to successfully cast the spell. An emulated spell has the same effect and casting time as the original, but any caster level dependant effects are changed to the caster level of the incanter. An emulated spell requires no material components, unless the component has a price listed next to it in the spell’s description. All verbal and somatic components (if any) required by the original spell remain the same in the emulated one. Mana emulation requires wind to be spent and subdual damage to be applied as if the spell was four levels higher than the spell’s actual level (this requirement may exceed beyond spell levels the incanter has access to).

>Base Attack Bonus: As Wizard

>Saves: As Wizard

>WIND: Begins with 4 Wind, and gains 4 wind every level, up to 80 wind at 20th level. The constitiution modifier is applied to the Wind score only once, but the bonus wind gained increases and decreases as Constitution changes.

Spells Known Per Level: I don't want to write a whole chart out, so here's a brief thingy:

1st Level: 0:4, 1:2

10th level: 0:9, 1:5, 2:4, 3:3, 4:2, 5:1

20th Level: 0:9, 1:5, 2:5, 3:4, 4:4, 5:4, 6:3, 7:3, 8:3, 9:3

>>>Well I guess that's it. Don't think I missed anything. The characters I've made so far have worked great, but I'd like other opinions as well.

Last edited:

UnDfind

First Post
No comments so far...

BUMP! :)

I haven't heard from anyone yet :(

Is the idea of spells that deal subdual damage too daunting?

I can't add this class into the campaign for a little while, so I'm looking for new little twists and ideas to make it a little more unique.

Suggestions?

Remove ads