D&D 5E Indiana Jones The Last Crusade

GwaihirAgain

Explorer
For my next session Im looking to have my players retrieve a holy artifact, Id like it to be guarded by some traps, much like Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

"Only the Penitent man shall pass..."

Are there any modules that have good examples of this sort of thing?

G

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Not so much a module but take your pick from any of the 500 mostly ludicrous traps from this boi.

Attachments

• grimtooth.png
    grimtooth.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 110

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Yawning Portal has Tomb of Horrors. You could skip time and just tell the players they are dead and roll up new PCs though.

The Yawning Portal version is significantly less deadly than earlier editions!

It has quant things like saving throws and moderate damage, and even allows investigation checks. As opposed to did you turn left when you should have turned right? Sorry your PC is dead!

The traps in ToH are not creative or interesting. They are poor and simple ports from the original.
Their is an old Unearthed Arcana article on traps in 5E that isn't a bad start for laying them out. I believe Xanathar's has another stat block/approach on traps as well. Then there are numerous products on the DMsGuild of various quality that are trap resoures/compendiums.

Quickleaf

Legend
Tomb of Annihilation has one. It's not perfect, needs a little work, and you're getting a whole lot of book just for one section... but the one I'm thinking of is the 3-page House of the Man and the Crocodile.

The answer to most of the puzzles is "get on another player's shoulders and work as a team." It feels a little like the "two footsteps in the sand became one when I was carried by the Lord" parable.

The setup needs better a better myth/riddle to foreshadow it & there needs more thought put into the explanation (see below), but if you do it could be awesome:

Camp Righteous (House of the Man & Crocodile)
Why does “get on my shoulders” avert the traps? As an alternative to “it’s magic”, I propose:

6A. Concealed pit trap
The concealed outline of the pit trap is immediately visible when viewed from 9 feet up (e.g. “man and crocodile” team, arcane eye, enlarge, flying/climbing, familiar, etc), due to vantage point. A gust of wind cast here will clear leaves and vines, revealing the pit trap’s outline too.

6B. Blade trap
The blades are triggered by a 10’x10’ pressure plate covering the entire floor. The first creature or object weighing at least 40 pounds to step on the plate triggers the trap. However, if 200+ pounds (e.g. “man and crocodile” team) are placed on the pressure plate at once, it angles very slightly and locks into place, preventing the trap from being triggered for 1 minute.

6C. Puzzle floor
The glowing tile is only visible when viewed from 9 feet up (e.g. “man and crocodile” team, arcane eye, enlarge, flying/climbing, familiar, etc), due to vantage point.

6D. Puzzle door
Door is 9-feet-tall, with tiles reachable by a “man and crocodile” team (or mage hand, etc).

6E. Treasure & trapped stairs
Glyph of warding with specific trigger

overgeeked

B/X Known World
For my next session Im looking to have my players retrieve a holy artifact, Id like it to be guarded by some traps, much like Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

"Only the Penitent man shall pass..."

Are there any modules that have good examples of this sort of thing?

G
If you’re asking for traps, Grimtooth’s is the answer. And it was already mentioned. 3E’s Book of Challenges also has a few. And a few funhouse dungeons like Tomb of Horrors.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Use one of the Indy traps (the 'big seal on the floor which the artifact may not cross' seems good) and see if any of the players recognize it / identify the source.

Tomb of Annihilation has an Indiana Jones -themed background, if you want to introduce an NPC (rival?) as an additional challenge.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases