• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Indie mechanics in "Traditional" games?

thadrine

Explorer
This particular example was written for Mutants and Masterminds, but could be easy converted to any system, espceacially those with a some sort of meta currency (i.e. Bennies, Artha, Action Points, etc)

There are a few things I have been discussing with people. Here are some things I am deciding to implement into my game. I know that a lot of these are what some might consider to be "Indie game" mechanics. Me and several other GM's are attempting this as a way to incorporate more interesting story telling mechanics into more "Traditional" games. I hope to hear some feed back from you.

Basics:
You succeed....you gain narration over the story. You fail, the GM has narration over the story.

In the future I will set the DC of all actions and tell you them ahead of time. I might add a random die value for some variability, but that is minor. If you beat the DC you gain the rights to narrate what happens, and as long as no one at the table veto's your description it happens just as you say. For every every 5 points that you beat the DC you may add an additional trick.

Example:
DC 25 (to unlock the blast door to the military compound you are breaking into)

You roll a 36. This meets the DC and has 2 additional tricks that may be added to the scene.
You may say that the doors open up (that is the success), then the doors immediately close behind us (that is one trick), and then the doors rearm (that is your second trick).

Advancement:

Every time the GM spends a villain point (bennie, etc) it goes into a central coffer, it does not go to any specific character.

Other players around the table may award the points to another player for something interesting or heroic they have done, or any player may choose to compel an aspect (I incorporate SotC aspects in almost all games I run) of himself or another player. This awarding of Hero Points gives the player a " / " on their Hero Point tracker.

Every time a player spends a hero point, or to activate an aspect, they gain a " \ , " that is written over top of the " / " they got when they earned the point. This makes an " X ", and for every "X" that a player earns they get an experience point. It takes a number of experience points equal to the number of players in that session to gain a character point.

You must convert all XP to character points at the end of a session, but character points need not be spent until desired.

1of3

Explorer
So you got rolling for narration rights and Aspects and kind of a "lasting" type of Fanmail. Because unlike Fanmail in PtA your Fanmail will turn into character points.

I'm not sure whether that's a good idea. Because of that the mechanism becomes less light-hearted. A player who earns much does not only receive a situational bonus but a lasting benefit.

By which standard will the GM set the DCs?

jensun

First Post
I do something similar in 4e skill challenges.

Player success gives them narration rights, failure gives them to me.

It works well for us but we are very used to indie stuff.

Remove ads