WOIN Inflict Condition Secret and Magical Exertion

Howdy. What secrets inflict the conditions listed in the skill? The book says to check the Elements by Attribute table. But I'm missing how that tells what secret causes Blind or Poisoned.

Also, on page 177, at the end of General Enhancements, the Magical Exertion exploit is listed. It's also in Magical Exploits, but I believe that's an editing error to have it in Enhancements. Just as a heads up.

Len

Prodigal Member
Magical Exertion: I also found this a bit confusing. I think you're right, Magical Exertion is an exploit, and it cannot be done by everyone. It may be listed under "General Enhancements" because it is an enhancement some characters can do, but for clarity it should say "if you have the exploit" since the other items in that section can be done by anyone.

Magical Exertion: I also found this a bit confusing. I think you're right, Magical Exertion is an exploit, and it cannot be done by everyone. It may be listed under "General Enhancements" because it is an enhancement some characters can do, but for clarity it should say "if you have the exploit" since the other items in that section can be done by anyone.
I think it's probably just a copy and paste error while they were working on the book.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Conditions are linked to skills not secrets. To charm a beast, you need the secret of beasts.

Conditions are linked to skills not secrets. To charm a beast, you need the secret of beasts.

Inflict. Under affliction "The secret needed for the spell depends on the associated element (see the Elements by Attribute table, above)."

The table is for infuse's enhance attribute, and inflict's drain attribute.

How does that determine which condition inflict can cause?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That doesn’t determine a condition. It determines which attribute is increased (or decreased for inflict) as described in the Drain Attribute (inflict) or Enhance Attribute (infuse).

Last edited:

That doesn’t determine a condition. It determines which attribute is increased (or decreased for afflict).

Inflict [element]
Infliction spells are the reverse of infuse spells. An infliction spell saps a creature, reducing its attributes or other aspects or causing disease.
Inflict spells can also cause the following conditions: Blind, Deaf, Fatigued, Pain, Poisoned, Sick.

Affliction. Cost varies. You inflict one of the allowed conditions (listed above). A standard condition costs 2 MP, while a severe condition costs 4 MP. The secret needed for the spell depends on the associated element (see the Elements by Attribute table, above). The condition is a temporary one which can be shaken off normally; however, you can make it persistent by doubling this enhancement’s MP cost (see page 176).

That's the text from the book. Unless I have a bad copy or something, it's saying the table determines what condition is caused. I'd assume it was just pasted in there incorrectly, and that the secret needed was the secret of the creature being affected, and you just pick the condition you want to cause. But there Inflict skill doesn't work with creatures. Only elements. So, how do we cause a specific condition?

Len

Prodigal Member
(Edit: oops I lost the race)

That doesn’t determine a condition. It determines which attribute is increased (or decreased for afflict).

Morrus, can you please review this paragraph from page 196, under "Inflict":

Affliction. Cost varies. You inflict one of the allowed conditions (listed above). A standard condition costs 2 MP, while a severe condition costs 4 MP. The secret needed for the spell depends on the associated element (see the Elements by Attribute table, above). The condition is a temporary one which can be shaken off normally; however, you can make it persistent by doubling this enhancement’s MP cost (see page 176).

That really looks to me like it's about inflicting a condition, not decreasing an attribute score.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yes, Affliction is a different enhancement to Drain Attribute.

Drain Attribute reduces an attribute based on the Elements by Attribute Table.

Affliction inflicts a condition, and does not use that table. I see what you mean by the line "The secret needed for the spell depends on the associated element (see the Elements by Attribute table, above)." That text belongs in the Drain Attribute enhancement, not the Affliction attribute.

Inflicting conditions is dealt with in more detail on page 176.

Yes, Affliction is a different enhancement to Drain Attribute.

Drain Attribute reduces an attribute based on the Elements by Attribute Table.

Affliction inflicts a condition, and does not use that table. I see what you mean by the line "The secret needed for the spell depends on the associated element (see the Elements by Attribute table, above)." That text belongs in the Drain Attribute enhancement, not the Affliction attribute.

So, how DO you determine which condition you cause with a spell? Should inflict work with creature secrets, as well as elements, and you just pick a condition, or what?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases