• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Inhabitants of Oz

ml3

First Post
Beginning with the dreaded Flying Monkeys.
Not monkeys at all, but magically degenerated Munchkins, these creatures were created and enslaved by the Three Witches- East, West and South. Their twisted smiles and garish clothing are a cruel mockery of the happy little people they once were.

The heavy atmosphere of the Oz Demiplane makes it possible for their undersized wings to carry them aloft quite capably.

oz_monkey.jpg

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Sweetness.

Love the face and the pose... oh and the cool outfit. Can't be caught serving evil in plain old black, gotta be snazzy when working for evil.

ml3

First Post
Sialia said:
more of this please, especially with the commentary.

I'm glad you like it. More is on the way. These are going to be interpretations of what was shown in the movie and cartoon sequel. There are over 40 Oz books, many of which contradict each other "historically" or contain elements that are easily reproduced with existing d20 material, or just downright too silly.

Tin woodsman should be next.

kirinke

First Post
ml3 said:
I'm glad you like it. More is on the way. These are going to be interpretations of what was shown in the movie and cartoon sequel. There are over 40 Oz books, many of which contradict each other "historically" or contain elements that are easily reproduced with existing d20 material, or just downright too silly.

Tin woodsman should be next.

Hmmm. Don't forget the Return to Oz movie circa 1980ish. That was a pretty dark movie in of itself. The Nomes portrayed in it reminded me more of rock elementals than anything else. The Nomes in the books reminded me of a dwarf variety than a true nome. With maybe Ruggedo the Nome King being Neutral Evil. Very self serving he was and quite nasty.

Ooo. And I liked the piccie. :)

ml3

First Post
Tin Woodsman

The Tin Woodsmen were created centuries ago to clear the central forests of Oz of the encroaching tree men. Considered to be expendable workhorses, Tin Woodsmen were created from little more than raw tin plating and primitive steam-driven motors, and as a result were given to failure and to severe rusting. More intelligent Tin Men took up the practive of bringing their own oil cans along with them but their inflexible limbs and slow reflexes often prevented them from using the lubricants fast enough to prevent seizing up.

Because the trees they were created to destroy were living, thinking things, the heart of a tin woodsman was regularly removed once it became animated to avoid emotional conflict. Some of the last created woodsmen were spared this procedure, wether through design or chance. Tin men whose hearts were left in tact often did not know it ,and felt the "loss" deeply.

tin_woodsman.gif

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads