D&D 5E Initial D&D Next Releases Showing Up on Barnes & Noble Website

delericho

Legend
You know I have been thinking about what Jester Canuck said, and trying to see that perspective. And since you see that point as well, I guess that means I am missing something.

From our perspective, I think the big thing that was lost was certainty. The fact that the information came from B&N meant that there's all sorts of speculation (is this accurate? Does it mean a $150 core trio, or one $50 book, or...?). And with the listing now being removed, that just adds yet more confusion. Whereas if the information was directly from WotC, and assuming it was actually competently presented, most if not all of that confusion is eliminated.

Many of us are (understandably, I think) keenly interested to know when the game will be released and in exactly what form.

Putting on a different hat for a moment, and looking at it from WotC's point of view, I can't imagine they're too happy about the way this has come out, either. Because it was their news, and their hype to generate and control. I rather suspect they were themselves gearing up for a big (-ish) announcement of all of this information, probably with significant fanfare... and now it's old news. (And I suspect that's the reason the B&N listings have disappeared - WotC probably contacted them and said something to the effect that they were keeping the news embargoed. But the damage is done, so I would now expect a formal announcement imminently.)

(Incidentally, your hypothetical announcement is reasonably decent. But, really, I'm less interested in the why's of the release, and more interested in the concrete details - what products (exactly) at what price points. Oh, and a really big one for me - what are they doing about the DDI? I can wait for answers, of course, but I would really like to know. :) )

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
What *might* have happened is that WotC reserved the spots at B&N, Amazon and the like with the lead time they needed to, but have a very specific and expensive marketing plan planned for Spring. That marketing plan likely includes all the details, pretty pictures, previews, videos, all sorts of exciting stuff. The exact message they wanted to send.

And maybe B&N weren't supposed to publish the info yet.

Agamon

Adventurer
Darn, the box set is still there. I was hoping the price on that was wrong, too. 30-40 bucks would give something more like SW:EotE or PFBB. Instead we're going to get something more like 4e Basic. Ugh.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Darn, the box set is still there. I was hoping the price on that was wrong, too. 30-40 bucks would give something more like SW:EotE or PFBB. Instead we're going to get something more like 4e Basic. Ugh.

You really can't know that from the price. Particularly since it never said box set, it said starter set. That could just as easily be a single book, or a shrink-wrapped two-book set with a map and no dice or box. The format was not mentioned.

darjr

I crit!
You really can't know that from the price. Particularly since it never said box set, it said starter set. That could just as easily be a single book, or a shrink-wrapped two-book set with a map and no dice or box. The format was not mentioned.

All true. And without maps and tokens there could be a lot more game in there. Though it being named 'starter set' makes it sound like it won't be a limited level stand alone game. Which is what I was hoping for. But that's just a guess.

Shadowsoul

Banned
Banned
I also hope I am not going to be paying more money for more and better art. I buy D&D books for their words, art is just gravy which I can do without, except for the MM.

Agamon

Adventurer

That would be more disappointing, honestly. Starter Set implies something more than a book, though.

Star Wars is called a "Beginner Game" and doesn't say box set either. So I don't think it's too much of a stretch.

Maybe they can put something decent out for $20, but I doubt it, unless it's being sold at a loss.

Agamon

Adventurer
I also hope I am not going to be paying more money for more and better art. I buy D&D books for their words, art is just gravy which I can do without, except for the MM.

I have to disagree. Nowadays, with all the betas that are released, sans formatting and artwork, I've come to really appreciate the more nicely laid out final versions. Gaming books need to look like gaming books and not instruction manuals.

Shadowsoul

Banned
Banned
I have to disagree. Nowadays, with all the betas that are released, sans formatting and artwork, I've come to really appreciate the more nicely laid out final versions. Gaming books need to look like gaming books and not instruction manuals.

Art is fine but if it causes the books price to increase because they decided to increase the art budget then no thanks. I play the game using rules, not colourful art.

Remove ads