Injecting Magic into an (almost) no magic campaign setting

Hautamaki

First Post
As far as my players know, my campaign setting is basically non-magic. They did not have access to magic using characters (though at high levels most of the classes do have magic-like supernatural abilities, for the most part all classes are variants of martial classes), and enemy magic users are extremely rare. I made this choice for many reasons, but the biggest reason is that I wanted magic to actually be magical. And thus, the plan was always to spring magic upon them mid-campaign when they thought that such a thing could never happen.

The second reason I started from a non-magic campaign is that I don't particularly like how 3rd edition magic plays, particularly at high level. There are DMs out there with enough system mastery and enough experience to run logically consistent, exciting, interesting, challenging campaigns with the magical RAW, but I don't count myself among their number. I suspect that number is pretty damn small. At the same time, 4th edition throws the baby out with the bath water by turning all classes into mini-mages with almost the exact same power set up. What I wanted to go for were characters that started as martial characters, but when I introduced magic into the campaign, were able to branch off into focusing on magic if they wished. What I wanted magic to do was something that was different from what martial characters can do, but at the same time simple and straightforward enough that game/adventure breaking side effects were avoided. So save-or-die spells were eliminated, super open-ended spells like wish were eliminated, scrying and teleport are gone (if I really want players to be able to teleport for some reason I put in teleporting altars exactly where I want them), and spells that potentially make mages untouchable like Fly and Invisibility are gone.

The third design goal I had for magic was to make the actual usage of magic in combat more interesting than simply choosing a spell from a list and having it work (or not, if the enemy saved). I think perhaps my favorite magic mechanic from all systems is actually Warhammer's system of Spell DCs, so that was the inspiration I used to create this magic system.

A final note: my players are all first-time players with no fantasy background; not even Lord of the Rings! (only one of them has even so much as watched the movies, and he didn't like them and can hardly remember anything from them. Despite that they are having an absolute blast playing in this fantasy setting). Given that they know next to nothing about the Lord of the Rings setting I decided to shamelessly rob the feel, themes, and even much of the terminology of the setting. (Including the near-non-magicness of it)

That said, here is the handout the players will be getting when they discover an ancient ring of power in a mad elven king's tomb.

Rings of Power

Long ago, in the war of power, the Rings of Power were forged by elves, dwarves, and evil men of the Empire of Bhaal. The Rings of Power were artefacts of incredible power that allowed their wearers to tap directly into the energy powering the universe; the energy of the dead Illuvatar himself. Wearers of the rings became known as the Magi and were great generals on both sides of the wars. Though not as strong as the Valar themselves, these rings allowed even mortals to manipulate the universe. After the victory of the elves and Zenithians, the rings were taken from the defeated Empire of Bhaal to be destroyed, and they passed out of history. The dwarven and elven rings of power are family heirlooms, still passed down by the greatest noble families of those races, and protected jealously. Not all of the rings are in safe keeping however&#8230

Wearers of a Ring of Power gain the ability to use magic powers using the rings and their own willpower. To do so requires the character to take a feat allowing him to use the Ring of Power, and subsequent feats for every power he wishes to learn. Only 1 ring may be worn by a single character. Characters can gain Weapon Skill in their Ring of Power, which, at 5 points, allows them to reroll damage die 1 time, at 10 points allows them to deal exploding damage with powers, and at 15 points allows them to use d8s instead of d6s for their power die. The following is a list of available feats. Making use of a Ring of Power counts as a regular attack action in combat.

Power
Prerequisites: wear a Ring of Power
Effect: Gives the wearer the ability to make use of the Ring of Power through his Willpower score. He gains 1 magic die (d6) per Willpower bonus point that he has. Whenever the wearer wishes to use a power, he must use magic die to meet or beat the power&#8217s DC. The wearer can use as many magic die as he wishes, but cannot later add die if he fails to beat the DC. Once a magic die has been used, successful or not, it cannot be used again until recharged by an 8 hour rest. If the wearer does not meet or beat the DC, the power fizzles and the wearer does 2d6 damage to himself and is automatically stunned.

Light
Prerequisites: Power
DC: 2
Effect: Causes the Ring of Power to emit light as if a very bright lantern. Light lasts for 10 minutes per point of the magic die roll over 2.

Silence
Effect: Causes the Ring of Power to deaden the sounds emitted by the wearer, giving a +5 to Move Silently checks. The effect lasts for 10 minutes per magic die point over 2.

Telekinesis
Effect: Causes the wearer to gain telekinetic powers for 1 round, allowing him to move objects up to 15 feet away. Treat as if the character had strength 3 for telekinetic powers, allowing him to move only light objects.

Spider Climb
DC: 3
Effect: Causes the wearer to &#8216stick&#8217 to surfaces, making climbing much easier. Gain a +5 to climb checks for 1 minute per magic die point over 3. Side effect: gain a +1 to offensive grapple checks.

Dispel Power
DC: 3/*
Effect: Dispels the powers of other rings of power. It can be targeted against a character using a power as an immediate reaction, in which case it adds to the difficulty or mana cost of the power to be used in the amount of the magic die roll. (If the enemy power succeeds anyways, the attempt at dispelling it is treated as if the DC check failed), or it can be targeted against a continuous effect already in place, in which case it succeeds in dispelling the effect on a magic die roll of 3 or better.

Shocking Grasp
DC: 3
Effect: Causes the wearer&#8217s grasp to become electrified, adding d6 electricity damage to attacks transmitted through a metal weapon he is holding or a failed grapple attempt; or 3d6 electricity damage in a successful grapple attempt. The effect lasts 1 round.

Telepathy
DC: 4
Effect: Allows the wearer to communicate telepathically with any character in his line of sight. Communicating telepathically can only be done with a willing participant; you cannot read another&#8217s thoughts against their will, just communicate with them as if speaking. The effects last 1 minute per die roll over 4.

Wave of Force
Effect: Emits a wave of force 5 feet wide from the user that travels 15 feet that deals d6 force damage to all characters in the field and attempts to push them back 5 feet with an opposed Strength of +5 they are pushed back 5 feet per 5 points of winning the opposed roll and take an extra d6 damage per 5 feet. Damage counts double for stun check purposes.

Thunder Flash
Effect: Emits a sudden burst of blinding light combined with the sound of a thunder clap that threatens to stun all creatures within 30 feet. All creatures must make a willpower check against a DC of 4d6 to avoid being stunned.

Flaming Weapon
Effect: Causes a target object to become wreathed in flames which do not affect the person holding it at the time of using the power. These flames last for 1 round per magic die roll over 4 and deal an extra d6 fire damage to any other creature or object struck.

Immobilize
Effect: Attempts to slow down or immobilize a target creature within 50 feet of the wearer. Waves of energy flow from the ring to the target creature, forming shackles about their arms and legs. This power reduces the creature&#8217s agility bonus (affecting their melee attack, dodge defence, movement speed, and any agility check) by d6 points. If the agility bonus is reduced to 0 or less agility bonus, the creature is completely immobilized, rendering them helpless for the duration of the spell. The spell lasts for 1 turn per magic die point over 4. More than 1 creature can be targeted per use of the power by multiplying the DC and dividing the duration accordingly.

Blind
Effect: Attempts to blind a target creature within 50 feet of the wearer. Waves of inky blackness flow from the ring to the target creatures eyes, obstructing its vision. This power reduces the creature&#8217s perception bonus (affecting their ranged attack bonus and damage) by d6 points. If the perception bonus is reduced to 0 or less points, the creature is completely blinded and cannot use any defences for the duration of the spell, and takes a -6 to melee attack rolls even if the creature somehow knows where the enemy might be. The spell lasts for 1 turn per magic die point over 4. More than 1 creature can be targeted per use of the power by multiplying the DC accordingly.

Weaken
Effect: Attempts to weaken a target creature within 50 feet of the wearer. Waves of debilitating energy flow from the ring to sap the strength of the target creature. This power reduces the creature&#8217s strength and vitality bonus (affecting their melee attack damage, parry defence, HP, and wound resistance) by d6 points. To calculate HP loss, reduce the target creature&#8217s HP by 1 point per level per vitality bonus lost. If reduced to 0 Strength or Vitality bonus, the creature is too weak to make any but the feeblest of motions and is helpless for the duration of the spell. The spell lasts for 1 turn per magic die point over 4. More than 1 creature can be targeted per use of the power by multiplying the DC accordingly.

Fear
Effect: Attempts to instil a target creature with crippling fear. An illusion, visible only to the target, is created of the target creature&#8217s worst phobias, emanating from the ring. This power reduces the creature&#8217s willpower bonus (affecting their willpower saves, opposed willpower checks, mana/chi, and other feats which use willpower) by d6 points. Mana/chi loss is calculated by reducing mana by 3 points per loss of willpower bonus. If reduced to 0 willpower bonus, the target creature either flees, if a good escape route is available, or curls up into the foetal position wailing uncontrollably for the duration of the power. The spell lasts for 1 turn per magic die point over 4. More than 1 creature can be targeted per use of the power by multiplying the DC accordingly.

Healing
DC: 5
Effect: Causes a target creature to recover 3d6 HP instantly. Range: 60 feet.

Force Armour
Prerequisites: Wave of Force
Effect: Coats the wearer in armour of pure force, giving them damage absorption of 5 for piercing, slashing, and bludgeoning attacks. It lasts for 1 round per magic die roll over 5.

Chameleon
Effect: Causes the wearer&#8217s appearance to slowly blend into the background, making them much harder to spot. It adds a +5 to hide checks and lasts for 10 minutes per magic die point over 5.

Fireball
DC: 6
Effect: Emits a fireball that travels in a straight line up to 50 feet and strikes a target square and explodes, dealing area of effect damage in a 10 foot radius. Characters caught in the blast can make an Agility save DC 15 to take half damage. Deals 4d6 fire damage.

Arc Lightning
Prerequisites: Shocking Grasp
DC: 8
Effect: Emits a blast of pure lightning from the ring that strikes a target character up to 60 feet away. The wearer must have line of sight to the target, but otherwise never misses. Deals 4d6 lightning damage; count as double for stun checks.

Greater Healing
Prerequisites: Healing
DC: 10
Effect: Causes a target creature to recover 6d6 HP instantly. Range: 60 feet.

Wall of Force
Effect: Creates a wall, 10 feet high, 6 inches wide, and 2d6x5 feet long of pure force. It can be placed in any location as long as no part of the wall is further than 60 feet from the wearer, and as long as the wall is contiguous (separate sections of the wall cannot be conjured at the same time). The wall does not have to be straight. The wall is translucent with a bluish tinge to indicate its dimensions and location, but can be seen through easily. It is amorphous to the touch and does not fully resist pressure until the object is tried to push all the way through the wall. The wall could theoretically be conjured sideways in order to make a bridge or ramp, but due to its amorphous nature it is extremely difficult to walk on and requires an agility+athletics skill check DC 20 for every 5 feet of forward movement in order to keep balance and avoid falling sideways off the wall&#8212and that&#8217s under ideal conditions. If created directly over a creature, the creature can make an agility check DC 10 to determine which side of the wall they wish to end up on; failure results in 50% chance of either side. The Wall of Force has damage absorption of 5 piercing, 10 slashing, 20 bludgeoning, and 20 total hit points per 5 foot section. Attacks that deal damage to the Wall of Force appear to sort of &#8216pierce&#8217 its outer layer and bits of bluish tinged force can be seen to be leaking or bleeding out of the damaged area. If any 5 foot section sustains more than 20 damage points, the entire wall appears to sort of &#8216deflate&#8217 and disappear. The Wall lasts for 1 turn per magic die roll otherwise. Being thrown into or falling onto a Wall of Force does not result in damage; the wall absorbs the impact gently, like a massive feather mattress, and reforms gradually to its original shape.

Wall of Fire
Prerequisites: Fireball
Effect: Creates a wall, 10 feet high, 4 feet wide, and 2d6x5 feet long of pure flames. It can be placed in any location as long as no part of the wall is further than 60 feet from the wearer, and as long as the wall is contiguous (separate sections of the wall cannot be conjured at the same time). The wall does not have to be straight. The wall is immaterial except for its massive flames, and cannot be seen through except near the top. Passing through the wall of fire or being on the square on which the wall of fire is conjured causes any creature or object to take 2d6 fire damage; agility check DC 15 for half damage. Remaining in the wall of fire for a full turn causes the creature or object to take 8d6 fire damage. The wall of fire cannot be doused or put out by normal methods while the power is still in effect; in fact it can even be created over top of water. The spell lasts for 1 turn per magic die roll. After it expires, flames act normally; if it was created on a flammable area/object, that area/object will continue to burn with normal sized flames and can be easily doused by water or smothering as normal.

Immolate
Prerequisites: Fireball
DC: 12
Effect: Causes a target creature or object up to 30 feet away to catch fire and take 5d6 fire damage per round until the flames are extinguished. The target creature can extinguish the flames as a full round action by dropping to the ground and rolling. An Agility save, DC 15, gives half damage by allowing the creature to drop and roll immediately.

Force Blast
DC: 12
Effect: Emits an explosive blast of force that travels out from the user 5 feet wide and 15 feet long that deals 4d6 force damage and blasts all characters backwards with a Strength of +15. They are thrown back by 5 feet plus another 5 feet per 5 points of winning the opposed roll and take an extra d6 damage per extra 5 feet. Damage counts double for stun check purposes.

Haste
DC: 14
Effect: Causes a target character to move at double speed, allowing them a second turn in the initiative order. It lasts for 1 round per point of magic die.

Chain Lightning
Prerequisites: Arc Lightning
DC: 15
Effect: Emits a lightning bolt that unerringly strikes a target character up to 60 feet away and deals 4d6 lightning damage to the target; count as double for stun checks. If another target is within 10 feet of the initial target, the lightning then arcs to that character, dealing 3d6 lightning damage, again counting double for stun checks. The lightning can then strike a third character for 2d6 damage and a fourth for d6 damage.

Superior Healing
Prerequisites: Greater Healing
DC: 20
Effect: Causes a target creature to recover 12d6 HP instantly. Range: 60 feet.

Last edited:

Gilladian

Adventurer
Sounds interesting and well-thought-out.

However, it sounds like the one pc who has such a ring will sort of become the be-all and end-all of power in the campaign. He'll also be the one having all the fun of figuring out the cool powerz he's gotten while everyone else sort of sits there wishing they could have equal fun.

You could try making some of the powers reliant on having extra people to draw on to power them, or allowing boosts to DCs and such when extra people join hands with the ring-bearer. Just an idea to make the other PCs feel less left out.

Also, and this is just MY opinion - even when drawing on themes and ideas from tolkien, invent your own proper names! It will confuse people MUCH less if they ever do go read the source material.

Hautamaki

First Post
Sounds interesting and well-thought-out.

However, it sounds like the one pc who has such a ring will sort of become the be-all and end-all of power in the campaign. He'll also be the one having all the fun of figuring out the cool powerz he's gotten while everyone else sort of sits there wishing they could have equal fun.

You could try making some of the powers reliant on having extra people to draw on to power them, or allowing boosts to DCs and such when extra people join hands with the ring-bearer. Just an idea to make the other PCs feel less left out.

Also, and this is just MY opinion - even when drawing on themes and ideas from tolkien, invent your own proper names! It will confuse people MUCH less if they ever do go read the source material.

Thanks for the thoughts Gilladian. At this point only one player has expressed any interest at all in magic, but if it turns out that the other players' interest is perked, other rings can certainly be found. As far as balance goes, the powers are really not actually more powerful than standard attack actions these players can currently do. I use slightly larger numbers for everything than D&D, mostly because that way you can scale things more precisely.

Also, the way magic die work players will really only be able to use about 3 powers a day on average, and if they push their luck at least one of those is likely to be a failure. Right now the players are averaging about 4 encounters per day when out exploring, so I don't think this will significantly affect the balance. What we have found is that a few of the characters which got significantly luckier on character creation and level-up rolls are starting to dominate combat, so what I'm really hoping happens is the ring is given to one of the weaker characters to bring them up to speed.

In any case, the system isn't like 3rd edition or AD&D where all fighters do is swing their weapon and the only tactical choice is which enemy to charge first. All characters have access to a myriad of special attacks that add a lot of tactical depth to combat, so throwing the ring in won't result in a single character suddenly having exponentially more combat depth of choice than before.

Remove ads