• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Inquisitor - Your Experiences

Papa-DRB

First Post
I believe they are *assuming* you meant the complete Inquisitor list and are pointing out that each Inquisitor only knows a sub-set of the complete list.

So, there is no preparation, but there is a small number known only, just like the sorcerer for arcane.

-- david
Papa.DRB

tylermalan

First Post
Dictionary.com:

spon·ta·ne·ous/spänˈtānēəs/Adjective

1. Performed or occurring without premeditation or external stimulus

Paizo PRD:
"An inquisitor casts divine spells drawn from the inquisitor spell list. She can cast any spell she knows at any time without preparing it ahead of time, assuming she has not yet used up her allotment of spells per day for the spell's level."

I am pretty sure without preparing ahead of time = sponatneous.

Wow, that's pretty asinine. I wasn't trying to say that they don't cast spontaneously. With my phrase "spontaneous Cleric," I was trying to describe something that doesn't exist (as far as I know), something that you are positing - a character who "knows" every spell from his spell list like a Cleric but casts them on a whim like a Sorcerer, without needing to choose certain spells to prepare ahead of time.

Did you even read Hammerhead's post? Read the title of the table.

From the PFSRD:

"She can cast any spell she knows..."

"An inquisitor’s selection of spells is extremely limited. An inquisitor begins play knowing four 0-level spells and two 1st-level spells of the inquisitor’s choice. At each new inquisitor level, she gains one or more new spells as indicated on Table: Inquisitor Spells Known."

"An inquisitor casts divine spells drawn from the inquisitor spell list."

afreyed

First Post
Dictionary.com:

spon·ta·ne·ous/spänˈtānēəs/Adjective

1. Performed or occurring without premeditation or external stimulus

Paizo PRD:
"An inquisitor casts divine spells drawn from the inquisitor spell list. She can cast any spell she knows at any time without preparing it ahead of time, assuming she has not yet used up her allotment of spells per day for the spell's level."

I am pretty sure without preparing ahead of time = sponatneous.

denseAdjective/dens/
1. Closely compacted in substance.
2. Having the constituent parts crowded closely together: "an estuary dense with marine life".

kkthx

masshysteria

Explorer
I haven't seen this discussed yet, so I'll chime in...

Wisdom seems overrated.

The inquisitor deals damage through STR or DEX and stacking on judgements and bane. To keep up on damage, you'll probably want to use your stat bump levels to increase STR or DEX.

The Inquisitor can easily pick spells that don't require a save. And they will probably never get the spell DCs that full caster classes can get.

Wisdom really just gets you bonus spells, so you can probably get away with just a 10.

The inquisitor also makes for a pretty good skill monkey with above average INT. Also, if you can get inquisitor as your favored class, grabbing the extra skill rank rather than hit point can push the skill monkey idea further. Of course, they don't have use magic device as class skill, so that is a bit unfortunate.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
You need a wisdom of 10 + spell level to cast a spell of that level, so at a bare minimum, you'd want to have a 16 eventually, and start with at least an 11, 12 preferably.

Int should be 10-12 depending on point buy / rolls, it's not that important.

I think wis should be at least 14 starting. Ideally, you'd get a race that gives +2 wis and +2 str or dex (depending on if you're doing melee or ranged).

Ultimate Combat update: UC finally added some ranged teamwork benefits. A whopping total of...2. One requires BAB +6 (ie, level 9+), the other requires having a teamwork feat already. So it seems all ranged Inquisitors, if people even bother to make them anymore, will have the following teamwork feats:

Level 3 - Lookout (useful to anyone / what else can you take at 3?)
Level 6 - Enfilading Fire
Level 9 - Target of Opportunity
Level 12+ - Hell if I know! Hope the game is over by then?

tylermalan

First Post
Hahaha...

Yeah, so I've got a 10 Int I think with a 13 or 14 Wis. I'm going melee, so my Str is my highest stat, boosted higher by my racial bonus for being a Half Elf.

I am becoming something of a skill monkey, which I like. We're level 2 now, and both levels I have taken the extra skill rank instead of the extra hit point (but probably won't be doing that anymore starting next level). The Inquisitor has a lot of class skills, which is nice.

I can't wait to get that teamwork feat next level! Lookout is high on my list, but there was one other feat that I was considering taking but I can't remember what it is...

Speaking of the skill thing, is there any reason to NOT have a rank in every single skill that is a class skill for you by the time you reach level 3? Putting a single rank in a class skill gives a total +4 bonus, while increasing a skill that you already have ranks in only nets you a +1. Am I missing something? Seems like a no-brainer to me.

masshysteria

Explorer
You need a wisdom of 10 + spell level to cast a spell of that level, so at a bare minimum, you'd want to have a 16 eventually, and start with at least an 11, 12 preferably.

WIS 12 probably isn't a bad idea. Most games I've played in have ended before getting 6th level spells, so maybe I have a bias.

Speaking of the skill thing, is there any reason to NOT have a rank in every single skill that is a class skill for you by the time you reach level 3? Putting a single rank in a class skill gives a total +4 bonus, while increasing a skill that you already have ranks in only nets you a +1. Am I missing something? Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Depends... I like doing it to pick up a few "flavor skills". If the skill is based around a stat that I know I'm going to be bumping up as play progresses, than it makes the skill more useful. Also skills with static DC (like Ride and quick dismount) that +4 is a lot more helpful. Skills with DCs that scale up based on level, the +4 isn't quite enough at high level.

So that was a long answer to say, every class skill probably isn't worth it, but many are.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Burst of Speed from the Ultimate Combat is an awesome spell.

You need to set up for Seize the Moment Teamwork Feat. That feat is a must have now.

tylermalan

First Post
So, I just hit level 3 with my Inquisitor, and am considering my feats. I'm thinking about taking Judgment Surge, but I have a question. In the Judgment entry of the class, it says:

"Destruction: The inquisitor is filled with divine wrath, gaining a +1 sacred bonus on all weapon damage rolls. This bonus increases by +1 for every three inquisitor levels she possesses."

Does this mean that, at level 3, the total bonus when I use this Judgment is +2?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads