• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Insight's D&DXP Blog

fnwc

Explorer
Rechan said:
The thing I like the most about the magical items is that they give powers. :D
Agreed. These items are more interesting than the standard sword +1 or amulet of health +2.

Insight

Adventurer
Fallen Seraph said:
Insight I was wondering if you could give a more indept explanation of Skill Challenges.

So such things, like; how do the players decide the difficulty? Besides DC difference what else changes with the difficulty? What is the benefit of choosing a higher difficulty?

Yes. The players decide which difficulty level they wish to attempt. They also pick which skill they want to use to attempt to take the skill challenge.

For example, in the preview game...

[sblock]... we were on the run from city guardsmen. My character, a Ranger, was pretty good at Athletics and Stealth. The DM told us to choose which skill we wanted to use, choose a challenge level, and then describe how we were accomplishing escaping the city using the skill we chose. I decided that my Ranger was going to use the rooftops, jumping from building to building, to escape the city. I proposed using Stealth and Athletics to do so.

Since I really didn't know how the skill challenge system worked, I chose 'medium', which turned out to be a roll of 10 or better for me (the Ranger had a +9 in both Stealth and Athletics). Later, I took on another skill challenge and decided to go for a 'high' challenge, and made that roll as well, escaping the city (a victory condition).[/sblock]

In terms of the benefits or drawbacks of the 'low', 'medium', and 'high' challenge tiers, I'm not sure. The DM said that we would get a 'victory condition' if any of us suceeded in a 'high' challenge, which my character made in the preview game. I can't say for sure whether there are any drawbacks to choosing the 'low' condition, since none of us tried that.

Insight

Adventurer
THE PREVIEW CHARACTERS

Here's a list of the preview characters' classes (all level 1) and races:

• CORRIN REEDSON, Halfling Paladin
  • ERAIS THE SUNLORD, Human Cleric
  • KATHRA IRONFORGE, Dwarf Fighter
  • RIARDON BRIGHTVALE, Eladrin Ranger
  • SKAMOS REDMOON, Tiefling Wizard
  • TIRA DUSKMEADOW, Half-Elf Warlock

I have played all of these characters in either a preview or a dungeon delve.

Note that we have the following races represented: Dwarf, Eladrin, Half-Elf, Halfling, Human, and Tiefling. No Elf and no Dragonborn of the PHB races we know about. Interesting that the Elf, which was previewed in an online article, is not present. Thus, we can conclude that the absence of a race or class may have nothing to do with the race or class 'not being ready'. In fact, I theorize that the races and classes already presented online are skipped specifically so that other races and classes can be demonstrated.

We also have the following classes represented: Cleric, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, Warlock, and Wizard. No Rogue (already previewed online) and no Warlord. I think in the Warlord's case, the class truly may not be ready, since we have heard precious little about it from any source. Granted, this could also be the case with the Dragonborn (the only race not previewed online or represented in the preview characters).

*** INDIVIDUAL CHARACTER ANALYSIS ***

I'll take a brief look at each character in the preview with a few thoughts on each.

CORRIN REEDSON, Halfling Paladin: I only played the Paladin once. I'd like to have seen this build have switched the 16 WIS and 12 CON. The higher WIS score didn't make much sense to me. Granted, I have no idea what effects (if any) the lower WIS score would have had on abilities. The Paladin used a short sword. I think this may have something to with being small-sized. I wonder if weapon sizes are gone (yay). If so, this means small characters can use a short sword one handed and perhaps longswords two handed (the Paladin has a shield, so I'm assuming he uses the short sword one handed). The Paladin appears to be trained in 3 skills. He has a -1 INT mod, so I wonder if Paladins have a base of 4 trained skills. Paladin has 11 Healing Surges/day, and has a +1 CON mod, so it could be a base of 10/day for the class. I like the Lost in the Crowd feat (gives you +2 AC when adjacent to 2 larger enemies). I wonder if this is a racial-flavored feat.

In terms of his Prayers, Bolstering Strike was pretty much the go-to at-will attack. Some DMs let the Paladin stack the 3 temp HP, but I'm pretty sure this is an error. Divine Challenge is great, but it's already been nerfed from what I understand. In RAW, you have to make some attempt to attack the marked target, or something to that effect. Interesting is that the Paladin heals another by spending one of his own healing surges, whereas the Cleric heals by causing the target to use one of its own healing surges.

ERAIS THE SUNLORD, Human Cleric: The Cleric is fairly typical of a 3rd ed Cleric in terms of ability scores and equipment. We get to see the 'human traits', essentially a Feat: Human Perseverance (+1 to all Saving Throws; I assume this means the saving throws where you are about to die, not the various defenses). It looks like the base Cleric is trained in 5 skills, if INT mod adds its value to the number of trained skills like in SAGA. 8 Healing Surges/day, so if that's altered by Con mod, the base value could be 7 (Cleric has a CON mod of +1).

The Cleric has a lot more Prayers than the Paladin (which makes sense). At-will powers are Lance of Faith, which is the most commonly used, Priest's Shield, and Sacred Flame. It inflicts damage of the radiant type, which seems to do more damage to undead. All of the Cleric's attacks give an ally some sort of bonus or temp HP. Encounter powers are Cause Fear, which attacks Will Defense, some Channel Divinity powers (only one of which is usable per encounter), and Healing Word, which is like the super healing power (usable twice per encounter). The Cleric's daily power is a big attack, which does half damage even on a miss.

KATHRA IRONFORGE, Dwarf Fighter: This is the character I played the most (4 times I believe). She is a fairly typical fighter. High ability scores are STR and CON. WIS is next highest, which could be interesting. Fighter has the most healing surges of any of the characters: 13/day. If this is adjusted by CON mod, the base for the Fighter could be 9/day. Dwarven racials appear to be: Cast-Iron Stomach (+5 to saves vs poison), Dwarven Resilience (Second Wind as a minor action - very nice btw), Stand Your Ground (move 1 less square when pushed or slid, can make immediate save to resist being knocked prone), and Low-light Vision. Feat is Dwarven Weapon Training, which may also be a racial. This is interesting to me because the Fighter has no other feats; clearly, the feat system is different in 4th ed. Trained skills appear to be 4, with no INT mod (if it even applies).

Martial powers are called Exploits, and the Fighter has a few. The At-will exploits are Cleave, which allows you to strike one opponent and slightly damage an adjacent target, and Tide of Iron, which allows you to push a target after a successful hit (and you can jump into their space). Neither of these appears to do extra damage; they just have extra effects above damage. She has one encounter power: Passing Attack, which allows you to shift 1 square between a primary attack and a secondary attack against a different foe. I didn't really get the chance to use this very often. Daily power is Brute Strike, which does a ton of damage. The nice thing is that, if you miss with Brute Strike, you get to try it again, essentially, until you hit (then it's gone).

RIARDON BRIGHTVALE, Eladrin Ranger: The Ranger was my first 4th ed preview character, and he was fun. Lots of ranged stuff, a lot more effective at low level than a 3rd ed Ranger. DEX is highest, and STR and WIS are the next highest scores. 2nd lowest HP of the group (!) and hardly any Healing Surges - 6/day. This almost certainly has something to do with a +0 CON mod. This could mean that the Ranger has a base 6 Healing Surges/day. Feats are Defensive Mobility (+2 AC vs Opportunity Attacks) and Lethal Hunter (gives you the Hunter's Quarry ability, which is a must-have). Neither of these seem to be racial feats, so that sort of throws out the window my idea that all races give a racial feat at first level. Seems to have 6 trained skills, which could be a base 5 with a +1 INT mod. Racial features seem to be Eladrin Will (+5 to saves vs charm), Fey Origin (considered a fey creature), Trance (extended rest is 4hrs instead of 6hrs), Fey Step (the short range teleport), and Low Light Vision.

The Ranger has two at-will attacks: Careful Attack (the one used almost exclusively in our games) and Nimble Strike (which I'm not sure I ever saw used). Encounter powers are the Fey Step and Fox's Cunning (immediate attack against melee attacker, you shift 1 square, then attack, thus you can fire your bow and not provoke). Daily power is Split the Tree, fire two arrows at two different targets, rolling 2 d20s, taking the better roll, and apply better result to both targets (one player got a crit with this power and ended up doing 42pts to two bad guys!)

SKAMOS REDMOON, Tiefling Wizard: I only played the Wizard once. 20 INT, DEX is the next highest ability score at 14. Only a 9 Wisdom. I would hazard to guess that Tieflings get a big bonus to INT (not a big stretch I guess). 6 Healing Surges/day, with no CON bonus, so perhaps 6 is the base for Wizard. The Wizard's feat is Skill Training: Stealth, which is curious. Skill Training is a feat found in SAGA, so this means the two skill systems may be very similar. As to WHY the Wizard needs Stealth, who knows (why not pick a more wizard-y feat?). The Wizard appears to have 3 trained skills apart from Stealth (which comes from the feat). Interesting, because the Wizard has an INT mod of +5. Racial features are Bloodhunt (+1 racial bonus to attacks vs racial (?) foes), Fire Resistance 5, Infernal Wrath (+1 power bonus to next attack roll and damage against an enemy who hit you since your last turn; this is an encounter power), and Low Light Vision. The Wizard appears to have the following class features: Arcane Implement: Wand of Accuracy (1/encounter, +2 bonus to attack roll), Cantrips, Ritual Casting, and Spellbook (when you begin the adventure, pick one of two daily spells - see below).

At-will powers are Ghost Sound (a cantrip; minor illusion power), Magic Missile (the Wizard's main attack form, counts as a basic attack), Light (another cantrip), Mage Hand (another cantrip), and Scorching Burst (a burst attack that does fire damage). Encounter powers are Force Orb (an attack that allows you to strike one primary target and an adjacent target, inflicts force damage) and Infernal Wrath (listed above). Daily Powers are one of the two spells Acid Arrow (inflicts acid damage and an ongoing effect to primary target and each adjacent secondary target) or Sleep (burst effect that slows target and causes them to sleep if they fail a subsequent save).

TIRA DUSKMEADOW, Half-Elf Warlock: I played the Warlock at my last game. Interesting class. Pretty much focuses on one target at a time. CHA is the highest ability score (18), with CON and INT the next highest. 9 Healing Surgest/day, with a CON bonus of +3, so the Warlock could start with 6 Surges/day. Feat is Action Surge (+3 to attacks gained from action points), which almost everyone forgot to use. Seems to have 4 trained skills, or 2 if the INT mod adds to the number of trained skills (that seems low; I'm willing to bet that INT mod doesn't add to the number of trained skills). Racial features are Group Diplomacy (+1 to Diplomacy checks for all allies within 10 squares), Prime Shot (if none of your allies are closer to the target than you, +1 to ranged attack rolls), and Low Light Vision. Class features are Fey Pact: Misty Step (when you down an enemy, you can teleport 3 squares as a free action), Shadow Walk (if you move 3+ squares on your turn, you gain concealment until the end of your next turn), and Warlock's Curse (this is used all the time; minor action, place a curse on one target, +1d6 damage on a hit).

At-will powers are Eldritch Blast (attacks reflex, pretty much the main attack), Eyebite (attacks will, inflicts psychic damage, makes you invisible to the target until the start of your next turn), and Ray of Frost (attacks fort, does cold damage). Interesting to note that the Warlock can attack any defense and do a lot of different damage types. Encounter power is Witchfire (attacks reflex, fire damage, gives target -4 penalty to all attack rolls until the end of your turn). This appears to be a fey pact specific power. The daily power is Curse of the Dark Dream (attacks will, does psychic damage, you slide the target 3 squares, you can sustain the slide effect on subsequent turns by spending a minor action).

Last edited:

Shroomy

Adventurer
While they may not be completely finished at the time of the DDXP, I think that the warlord and dragonborn are probably being held back for previews between now and the June release. WoTC can't release every goody this weekend!

Bandreus

First Post
thanks a lot for the good info. this skill challenge sounds fun, more importantly it seems to push in the way of interactive storytelling for both the players and DM. Maybe skill challenges are designed in a way that different things appen depending on the challenge level you choose and the result of the check. could you possibly find out more?

Knight Otu

First Post
Insight said:
[EDIT] Implements: Some spellcasters use implements to cast spells or use powers. An implement is something like a wand or a staff. Our characters started with wands (Warlock and Wizard) or a holy symbol (Cleric). Normally, implements don't do a whole lot, other than that you can't use the power/spell without the implement.
As an addendum to this, WotC_Miko has confirmed that this was done for simplicity in the pregens only. Warlocks and Wizards don't seem to need implements, but get unnamed drawbacks without them.

Insight

Adventurer
Magic Items List #2

This item list was handed out after completing the second preview adventure.

+1 VICIOUS LONGBOW [LEVEL 2]
This is a good weapon for a ranger to wield.
Enhancement: Attack rolls and damage rolls with weapon.
Critical: +1d12 damage.

*** ANALYSIS ***
When we had a List #2 in the group, the Ranger always took this item. Heck, a few times, the Ranger traded their own list for a #2 so they could get the Vicious Longbow.

+1 SYMBOL OF LIFE [LEVEL 2]
This is a perfect implement for a cleric to use.
Implement (Holy Symbol)
Enhancement: Attack rolls and damage rolls with implement.
Critical: +1d8 damage
Power (Milestone): Free action. Activate when you use a power that heals damage. Add +1d6 to the healing provided.
Recharge: Milestone.

*** ANALYSIS ***
This was THE Cleric item. It's very nice, and basically essential for any Cleric. I could see a Paladin using it as well, depending on the circumstances. Not sure what 'milestone' means. Perhaps someone who used this item could clarify.

+1 DWARVEN PLATE ARMOR [LEVEL 2]
This armor is good for a paladin. (not sure why a Fighter couldn't use it, but w/e)
Enhancement: AC
Property: Gain a +1 item bonus to Endurance checks.
Power (Encounter): Free action. Regain hit points equal to your healing surge value. You don't spend a healing surge when you use this power.

*** ANALYSIS ***
Another level 2 item, and frankly, more useful on first glance than the level 3 armor item presented in List #1. This item was very popular with paladins and fighters when we had the chance to use it (we had way more List #1s than List #2s in our groups).

+1 CLOAK OF RESISTANCE [LEVEL 2]
This amulet is suitable for a character of any class.
Body Slot: Neck
Enhancement: Fortitude, Reflex, and Will Defenses.
Power (Daily): Minor Action. Gain resist 5 until the start of your next turn.

*** ANALYSIS ***
Cloak is a 'neck' slot now. Interesting. This is really, really valuable as a low level item.

BELT OF VIGOR [LEVEL 2]
This belt is suitable for a character of any class.
Body Slot: Waist
Property: You gain a +1 item bonus to the healing provided by your healing surges.

*** ANALYSIS ***
This is a damn handy item for low level characters, especially fighter types who get 13 healing surges a day.

+1 HEAVY SHIELD OF PROTECTION [LEVEL 3]
This shield is good for a fighter or paladin to use.
Body Slot: Arms
Enhancement: Armor Class and Reflex Defense.
Power (Encounter): Standard Action. You and an adjacent ally gain resist all 5 until the end of your next turn.

*** ANALYSIS ***
A level 3 item that provides 5 resistance (all). This lends more credence to my theory that resistances are in groups of 5, and less credence to any notion that the amount of resistance has anything to do with the item's level.

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
Bandreus said:
thanks a lot for the good info. this skill challenge sounds fun, more importantly it seems to push in the way of interactive storytelling for both the players and DM. Maybe skill challenges are designed in a way that different things appen depending on the challenge level you choose and the result of the check. could you possibly find out more?

I can try, and believe me, I'd like to. The problem seems to be that not all of the rules are finished, so sometimes, the DMs don't really know how everything works yet.

Knight Otu

First Post
Insight said:
CORRIN REEDSON
MALE HALFLING PALADIN
LEVEL 1 GOOD

WotC has posted the character sheets online already. I think it'll be sufficient to relate your experiences and thoughts on the characters. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads