Insight's "The Isle of Dread" - Chapter One

JustKim

First Post
[sblock=ooc]
Do we have a social-type? I think Questor is probably the best, maybe Adam?[/sblock]
[sblock=ooc]Yep, Nafije too, with a +17[/sblock]

The gnome made Nafije laugh, thus encouraging his antics. She was looking around at the other patrons, and began to mention them by name.

"There's a little book store just next door. The owner comes in here, Raef- there he is," she said without pointing. "And Captain Rex, he was a sailor, yes? Maybe he's heard this story before."

Nafije knew them both because the Hog's Breath was a familiar place to the party, and Nafije did not imbibe, so instead she socialized. "I'm going to speak to Raef. I've been in his shop before and seen rolls of parchment. Maybe he can put me in touch with a map trader." Nafije whistled to her macaw, Goldie, and the parrot hopped off onto the back of a chair. Through Goldie, Nafije would be able to hear what the party said even while she talked to Raef. She made no secret of this connection, and often used Goldie to communicate remotely with the party, and to take discrete suggestions.

Nafije politely excused herself and went to join Raef. She sat down and flagged Abel for coffee, her drink of choice. "Hello, Raef," she said, "can I get you a coffee?"

Insight

Adventurer
Nafije politely excused herself and went to join Raef. She sat down and flagged Abel for coffee, her drink of choice. "Hello, Raef," she said, "can I get you a coffee?"

"Caffey, you say?" the half-elf merchant says, perking up. "Ahhh, that old treasure from Ylaruam. I knew it well, during my traveling days. Now, I am content to work in my bookshop, rub elbows with doughty adventurers such as yourselves, and wonder what might have been..."

He stares off into space for a moment and then his gaze returns to the comely enchantress. "Well, few offers of gifts come without something in return. What can I do for you?"

JustKim

First Post
Nafije remained composed. Although she had often noted that this direct and rushed way of doing business was alien to her Ylari sensibilities, she was getting used to it. She didn't even dance around the subject this time. "I hope to spur your curiosity. My fellows and I are looking for a map that may be hard to come by. It may be only the coastline of an island, put to parchment thirty years ago."

She leaned in conspiratorially. "The Isle of Dread," she said, with just the right emphasis to rouse the sense of adventure that seemed to dwell under Raef's surface.

Insight

Adventurer
Nafije remained composed. Although she had often noted that this direct and rushed way of doing business was alien to her Ylari sensibilities, she was getting used to it. She didn't even dance around the subject this time. "I hope to spur your curiosity. My fellows and I are looking for a map that may be hard to come by. It may be only the coastline of an island, put to parchment thirty years ago."

She leaned in conspiratorially. "The Isle of Dread," she said, with just the right emphasis to rouse the sense of adventure that seemed to dwell under Raef's surface.

Raef smiles like a child, unbridled with joy and optimism. "To be perfectly honest, child, I thought adventurers had given up on that place." The half-elf takes a sip of his coffee and nods to Allard. He turns back to Nafije. "A map of the Isle of Dread would be something of a collector's item. If any such map existed. What makes you think I know of such a map?" The bookseller chuckled. "Oh, listen to me. I'm not much for keeping secrets. Perhaps in my younger days... Anyway," The merchant takes another sip of coffee. "A map of that island did pass through my shop. I'm afraid I shouldn't let slip the name of the customer lest they hear of my impropriety and refuse to do business with me again. That would be most unfortunate."

Raef takes another sip of coffee and looks expectantly at Nafije.

Insight

Adventurer
Captain Rex, seated not too far away, SLAMS down his flagon. "The ISLE OF DREAD, ye says???" The erstwhile sea captain stumbles to get to his feet. "Aye, tales o' the Sea a' Dread are too numerous to count on them fingers n' toes!" He takes a few steps, steadies himself against the monstrous oaken bar, and belches. "Now, me lads n' I took a trip down south, an' this woulda been thirty year ago if'n 'twas a day. Me first mate, a sassy lass o' some elf descent, aye, she was quite the purty lass, I must declare."

Rex leans against the bar and sets eyes upon Nafije. "Ye might be the spittin' image of that lass. The other men didna like me takin' on a lass as me first mate. All sorts a' talk of bad luck and misfortune. Rubbish, I say! Nell, aye, 'twas her name, methinks. The lass was useful, as they say. Warmed the bed at night. Ne'er was the captain's quarters quite as warm!" Rex looks at Allard. "Don' jus' stand there, guv'ner. I'm dry!" Rex bangs his metal flagon on the bar for emphasis.

He turns back to Nafije. "Now, this Isle of Blue Pigeons, is it?"

JustKim

First Post
"I respect your discretion," she said to Raef. "You run a reputable business. Just the other day I was in your shop admiring one volume in particular. I went back and forth on the price, but-"

The rest of what Nafije had to say was drowned out by Rex's bellowing. "You have very good ears, Captain," she said by way of compliment. She looked briefly concerned for this Nell, if indeed she were not a figment of the Captain's imagination, and then answered. "The Isle of Dread, as you say. Such a place must be familiar to stalwart sailors, but it's new and exciting to me. I do enjoy stories of adventure."

Insight

Adventurer
"I respect your discretion," she said to Raef. "You run a reputable business. Just the other day I was in your shop admiring one volume in particular. I went back and forth on the price, but-"

OOC: Feel free to make a Diplomacy check using the fancy EN World Die Roller. Maybe you can convince him to be more forthcoming...

The rest of what Nafije had to say was drowned out by Rex's bellowing. "You have very good ears, Captain," she said by way of compliment. She looked briefly concerned for this Nell, if indeed she were not a figment of the Captain's imagination, and then answered. "The Isle of Dread, as you say. Such a place must be familiar to stalwart sailors, but it's new and exciting to me. I do enjoy stories of adventure."

"Aye, 'twas what I said, lass. The Isle of Dread. Thar be strange happenins in that place. I'd steer clear if'n I was you. No fair critter such as yerself oughta be within ten leagues of the place!"

He turns to the barkeep. "Me flagon's not gonna fill itself, ye daft son of a monkey!"

JustKim

First Post
"Yes, of course. Thank you for looking out for me, Captain," Nafije said. She let Rex bang around without intervention and turned back to Raef, restating the obvious: "Who would have guessed? Captain Rex has been to the Isle of Dread."

There was a delay of half a second before Goldie squawked in the side room and repeated those words for the benefit of Nafije's friends. "Captain Rex has been to the Isle of Dread. Isle of Dread, awk!"

"I'll be sure to stop by the store when you're open," Nafije said to Raef. "Something to read would be most welcome if we end up out to sea."

Remove ads