• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Insight's "The Isle of Dread" - Chapter One

JustKim

First Post
"I just arrived," the elf replies to Nafije. "Adam was suggesting you might give me a brief summary of what I've missed."
"Yes, of course." Nafije started to organize the pages of the journal, at least what she could find of it. "Holding on to that vellum brought an unexpected boon. When we dried the pages by the fire, they revealed the journal of a sailor, describing a voyage to a hidden island. The Isle of Dread."

Nafije passed the pages neatly to Astra so that she could inspect them for herself. "I've never heard of such a place, but Captain Rex has been there. Barook is speaking to him now," she said. She stood in the doorway and observed Rex and Barook for a moment, as through their camaraderie was something strange and wonderful. "Just now, I spoke to Raef, the owner of Boloum's Books next door. He may be able to help us locate a copy of the map mentioned in the journal. A map of the coast of the Isle and its islets."

She turned and paced back into the room, smiling to Astra. "Isn't this exciting?"

renau1g

First Post
"I'm late," she says peremptorily as she enters the side room...as if it were something she was accusing the others of having caused, "I apologize."

Keharn stops listening into the conversations in the bar at the elf's arrival, a smile crosses his face and even the bear looks happy at her arrival.

"Ah, I was beginning to get worried that some bandit had waylaid you and was about to send Bjarn to find you." the druid jokes, laughing merrily at his comments.

***** after Nafije's comments *****

"If it is true then yes I would find it exciting, but I am more than a little skeptical that this is real. However, I will go along for the ride, it's more fun than sitting around contemplating things." the half-elf says.

Shayuri

First Post
"It's hard to 'hide' an island," Astra points out with a smile. "But I'm sure there's some grain of truth to stories of one... The real queston is not whether to believe in this 'isle of dread,' it is why we should care about it."

"Tales of fantastic treasures, seen but lost, spill from sailor's lips like water from a drowning man's. Each tries to best the tales of the one who spoke before. Whatever truth may lurk in the heart of it all is quickly left behind."

"So tell me, what cities paved with gold does this journal promise those who brave the Isle of Dread?"

Almightyfoon

First Post
"Some other time about the prison island cap'n, you wouldn't happen to still have yer charts for headed that way eh? Or maybe your navigator would 'ave em." Barook says waving the barkeeper to refill the captains drink.

Barook racked his brain trying to remember if he had heard who the Captains navigator was.

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
Captain Rex leans in. "Now, I can tell ye of a prison island thereabouts. Broke a man outta there, I did. Me old first mate, afore Nell." He sits back and looks into his flagon. "Ahh, Nell. Lost her in a bet, of course."

Rex looks into his flagon and frowns slightly. "Ahh, that Nell. She was a keeper. Handy at the sails, fair to look upon, of course, n' quite skilled with the blade. I shoulda bet that son of a dog Roundbottom. Lord knows what that barnacled sea monkey did with her. Probably sold her into slavery. We all know Roundbottom had his gilded eye on the lads!" The last remark sends Captain Rex into quite the laugh riot. A few of the nearby patrons, possibly as drunk as Rex, joined in.

"But just so ye know," Captain Rex said quietly. "The Isle of Dread is a real thing. My ship ne'er set anchor at the place, but I seen it. My men seen it. I think Roundbottom n' his crew o' naughty boys set upon the beach. Per'aps more'n the beach. You'd have to ask him, if he yet draws breath."

"Some other time about the prison island cap'n, you wouldn't happen to still have yer charts for headed that way eh? Or maybe your navigator would 'ave em." Barook says waving the barkeeper to refill the captains drink.

Barook racked his brain trying to remember if he had heard who the Captains navigator was.

OOC: Barook has no idea who the Dastard's navigator might have been. Keep in mind that Captain Rex has probably had several navigators during his sailing days.

"Aye, probably," Rex replies. "Me old mate, Trundy, he stabbed me in the back - LITERALLY! Can't says I blame him, though. I was a right heel to take his sister to sea n' have my way with her. I mean, she asked fer it, dontcha know. But ole Trundy wouldna hear of it." Rex watches as Abel Allard brings over fresh ale. He takes a long draw from the new flagon. "Good navigators are too hard to find. After Trundy left me, I tried to hire Roundbottom's navigator, but the lad retired from sailing. Apparently, this Barbarossa had been to the Isle of Dread n' was too scared to return. Too scared to even return to the sea. Bah. I tried telling the old goat that I had no intention of going to the Isle of Dread, but he wouldna listen."

Last edited:

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
In the other room, Skaros listened, his hands templed. If there was such an isle with dark past, other tales of it... and thus other leads... may have hit the streets. The secret noble had ventured streets both high and low during his time here...

Insight

Adventurer
In the other room, Skaros listened, his hands templed. If there was such an isle with dark past, other tales of it... and thus other leads... may have hit the streets. The secret noble had ventured streets both high and low during his time here...

Skaros has indeed heard of the Isle of Dread during his journeys around Specularum and elsewhere in the known world. Many sailors are familiar with the Isle of Dread, especially since its "discovery" some thirty years ago. Sailors who have actually set foot upon the place and lived to tell about it, well, that's hard to say. Many have claimed to have been there, but offer no real evidence.

In terms of a map, yes, there are tales of such a map existing, and in many forms. In most tales, said map is on a secret page or magically hidden in a sailing man's journal. One tale describes the map as having been tattooed on a man's bald head! But none of these, of course, are in any way verifiable.

That's about all Skaros has heard about the place.

OOC: That's another success towards the first stage of the skill challenge!

drothgery

First Post
Cassi tries to fit everything they've gathered so far from asking questions and reading the journal in with what she knows of the history of expeditions the islands well south of mainland. Perhaps there was a clue there. She thought there would be, at any rate.

Almightyfoon

First Post
"Aye, probably," Rex replies. "Me old mate, Trundy, he stabbed me in the back - LITERALLY! Can't says I blame him, though. I was a right heel to take his sister to sea n' have my way with her. I mean, she asked fer it, dontcha know. But ole Trundy wouldna hear of it." Rex watches as Abel Allard brings over fresh ale. He takes a long draw from the new flagon. "Good navigators are too hard to find. After Trundy left me, I tried to hire Roundbottom's navigator, but the lad retired from sailing. Apparently, this Barbarossa had been to the Isle of Dread n' was too scared to return. Too scared to even return to the sea. Bah. I tried telling the old goat that I had no intention of going to the Isle of Dread, but he wouldna listen."

Barook laughed with the Captain "Ha! Be glad it wasn't my sister ya old rake, you'd be in much worse shape after tha' then a stab in the back." Barook took a drink from his flagon to break the flow of the conversation. "I suppose the stories must be true if that Barbossa feller wouldn't even set sail wit' ya? S'interesting name though, where'd ya find him at?" Barook said refilling both his and the captains drink.

Remove ads