Inspired by Lords of Madness (Updated with 65% more ideas, and 74% more confusion)!

I've been slowly reading through this book. ("Slow" not because it's not grabbing--it very much is--but because I'm working it in around my writing.) And I just read the section in the aboleth entry about their attitudes toward mind flayers.

(If you want to keep yourself in suspense about a rulebook :confused: , I suppose what follows could be considered a spoiler.)

Anway, I read this line:

"In a way, the aboleths and the illithid are like cosmic bookends: two similar races with similar goals, one from the ancient past and one from the doomed future."

And the thought that immediately occured to me was this:

Two ends of the universe? Or two ends of an evolutionary process??

Think about it. Assuming a fantasy world in which evolution holds true, life on land would have originated from creatures of the sea. We know that the aboleth can briefly survive on land, and they've already spawned one amphibious offshoot. They're races that both have four tentacles that don't really map to the limbs of "normal" creatures. They've similar personalities, similar goals, even some similar abilities. What if the aboleth and the illithid are not merely the alpha and omega of the universe, but are literally two ends of the same cycle?

I'm not 100% certain where I'm going to take this idea, but I'm nearly certain I'm going to use it somehow. I wanted to throw it out there, and see if any of you folks had any thoughts on the matter, or if it might inspire you in turn.

(Of course, I'm going to feel really stupid if somebody comes along and tells me the book actually talks about this possibility later on. I'm only a very short way into it. :heh: But dang it, at least for me, it is an original thought.)

Last edited:

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
OK, that's cool. Especially if the aboleths are the opposing force that the illithids were fleeing from the future. Think about it. The illithids are a race of mutant upstarts, perhaps created when an aboleth savant tried to spawn clever skum servitors (we already know that the process of making skum is an invasive and disturbing procedure- only a step removed from ceremorphosis). The servitors rebelled, and eventually overcame their creators. Until the final waxing of the cyclic aboleth empire brought the two races into planet-spanning conflict.

The aboleth are trying to destroy all illithids, in addition to trying to prevent themselves from accidentally creating them. The illithids are purposefully plotting to be created by the aboleth savants.

Mmm... temporal paradox...

Demiurge out.

Edit: And no, I don't remember anything about a connection between aboleths and illithids.

Flyspeck23

First Post
And there I thought I wouldn't need or even enjoy LoM... damn.

Mouseferatu said:
Think about it. Assuming a fantasy world in which evolution holds true, life on land would have originated from creatures of the sea. We know that the aboleth can briefly survive on land, and they've already spawned one amphibious offshoot. They're races that both have four tentacles that don't really map to the limbs of "normal" creatures. They've similar personalities, similar goals, even some similar abilities. What if the aboleth and the illithid are not merely the alpha and omega of the universe, but are literally two ends of the same cycle?

Cool idea. And it might fit my homebrew, so thanks :)

Liquidsabre

Explorer
Wow, I love that phrase "Cosmic Bookends!" :p

And THAT is a really cool idea there Mouse. Thanks for sharing it! The fact that the LoM has such neat snippets in it is heartening and I can't wait till I finally pick mine up!

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
When the hell did this come out??? I've been wanting this book since it was announced (with the cool name, but let's not go there).

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Mouseferatu said:
Two ends of the universe? Or two ends of an evolutionary process??
Actually, this was my exact thought when I read that line. However, given that illithids had an empire at the end of the universe....perhaps the illithid ARE aboleths or at least what they become eventually.

There's some interesting points here. The aboleth's apparently conquer the universe every so often, then lose it again. The illithids rememeber a time when they HAD conquered the universe and are waiting for that time to happen again.

It makes perfect sense. I just don't know how to work it into a story....Hmm, I AM running the RttToEE right now, and my players are level 10...sounds about the time to start dropping hints for a post adventure continuation involving this somehow.

Remove ads