• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Inspiring Paintings

ColonelHardisson said:
I guess he wouldn't be considered "fine art,' but man, there are literally hundreds of Frazetta paintings that inspire me in a gaming way. And in ways beyond gaming.
Beat me to it. I was going to say the exact same thing.

I guess I'll add Howard Pyle and N.C. Wyeth to the list, then.

Last edited:

Warrior Poet

Explorer
Wild Gazebo said:
I've been looking for that image for a long time. Thanks!

I'll add another vote for anything by Frazetta, as well as more Boston MFA favorites: Rimmer's Flight and Pursuit (not gonna link it; as I discovered yesterday, I am unskilled) and Vedder's The Lair of the Sea Serpent.

Others: David's The Oath of the Horatii is very striking. Durer's famous Self Portrait at 28 is very "wizardly" in my imagining. Bosch frequently has that very dream-like, otherworldly, things-man-was-not-meant-to-know, lower-reaches-of-Hell sort of feel.

Good thread!

Warrior Poet

Anson Caralya

First Post
Another post thanking you for a good thread.

I have an illustration from my one published adventure (The Quicksilver Hourglass, Dungeon 123) hanging over my desk. Nothing like an artist's interpretation of your own madness for inspiration.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
This is a link to the Frazetta gallery, where they sell prints. The specific paintings on just this page alone - and there are plenty others on different pages - that I like a lot, which evoke a mood of dark mystery, are - Sorcerer, Apparition, Berserker, Snow Giants, Egyptian Queen, The Silver Warrior, Man-Ape, and...well, pretty much anything Frazetta paints.

http://www.frazettaartgallery.com/gallery/HTML/prints.html

By the way, be warned: Frazetta's art often contains what I consider to be tasteful nudity.

Jeez, the page right after that one I linked to has a ton more good paintings - the Barbarian, for example.

Remove ads