• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Inteligent Weapons in your campaigns ?

dave_o

Explorer
The Frost.

I once, in a campaign, had several related intelligent magic items. The first, were a set of three books found by one Thaedras (who happened to be part demon, his dark secret). The books ended up shocking him everytime he would attempt to touch them, and one would tell him to 'Cleanse himself before touching'. So, being in a library, he leafed through some older tomes and found he had to bleed on a holy symbol.

Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Eventually, when he had the books in his posession, whenever the name 'Logwyn the Frost' was used, they would all say in harmonious, high-pitched voices: 'Indeeeeeeeeeeeed!'.

Also: Eventually, the party recovered the sword containing Logwyn's essence, which talked in a low, eloquent voice and gave the party much useful information.

So I think Intelligent Items can be exceptionally cool.

And recounting that made me want to revive that campaign. :D

Taloras

First Post
Hmmm...only intelligent items we have had have been blackrazor, whelm, and wave from the module Return to White Plume Mountain. My rogue was the one who picked up the first one we vound (wave). he has the second lowest will save (7 or 8 at the time, party of fighter, rogue, wizard, and cleric). I rolled a 19 on the save, plus 7 or 8, easily made the save, and threw the weapon in a chest. Whelm was no problem, but blackrazor took over our fighter.....almost had to hurt him to get it back.

Moe Ronalds

First Post
Something I always thought would be interesting to see was an extremely depressed and pessimistic cursed intelligent weapon with self-asteem issues. Wait, I'm the DM, I can do that... :D :cool:

Chimera

First Post
The "advisor" to one of the High Priests of the second largest religion IMC is an intelligent Ring of Swimming.

It can also do Clairvoyance once per day and Teleport up to 1000 pounds once every 3 days.

Its creator gave it intelligence just so he could torture it. It got even by waiting until he was naked and in a drunken stupor before teleporting him right in front of a band of human adventurers. The Cleric he now advises was one of those adventurers.

Rashak Mani

First Post
Good Stories !

Any Evil Inteligent Swords/Weapons ?

The one that stuck to my mind was in Piratecats storyhour... they killed some enemies and one had a trident. The trident was pretty vicious and wanted a real warrior to hold it... asked where his former owner was. Nasty. They "executed" it with another sword that was begging for the chance to kill the trident !!!

Zigmutt

First Post
no evil ones here...

but here's a story:
I was Dming a high lvl campaging- and wanted the players to have a lil fun iwth intelligent weapons (they knew they had to give up the weapons after i finished my three weeks of DMing- rotating DM) and so I gave each one 100,000 gp to create a magic weapon that has to be intelligent in some way.

To my surprise, they were mediocre. It seems that the gorup was more interested in boosting their to hit and damage bonuses than to put it into developing amagic weapon. When it was all said and done, they all came out with +4 weapons- that could not talk or vibrate, or shine or anything- but had ability scores...

oh well- you get what you paid for.. i should have had them quest for it and thne maybe they would appreciate a sword that screams a lot more... especially for the rogue who is always trying to move silently... AAAAHHHH!!!!

We once had an ioun stone that called itself "The Admiral". It could do several things but the most memorable was its magic missile ability. Whenever battle was underway, the stone would yell "Fire away!" and would cast magic missile. It sang sailors songs and would randomly say "Ar matey". It made for quite the interesting sessions.

Balsamic Dragon

First Post
In my campaign, the players have two intelligent weapons:

One is a two-handed sword named Dren's Daughter. This is a leveled weapon (from the Dragon article) weilded by the paladin in the party. She is more empathic than actually intelligent, but is getting more communicative as she is leveled up. She is currently a +2 holy sword and sings when she is used in battle against chaotic evil creatures!

The other was created by a ghost in my game out of his own essence (long story, stat-wise, he gave up hit points to make it). It's a simple magical warhammer, but he botched a roll in making it and it became evil and intelligent! Since then, the party has quelled its evil nature by purifying it on an alter of Moradin, but it still has a strong hatred for hobgoblins, the creatures who killed the character who became a ghost...

Balsamic Dragon

novyet

First Post
My character uses an intelligent longsword named Faithhealer, which is NG and dedicated to Pelor. It's purpose is to destroy the undead, and often dominates my character for that express purpose, thankfully it leaves me alone due to an agreement I made with it. ( It was a really lucky diplomacy roll that got that much at least. :) ) The silly thing has got a huge ego score, and I've got a will save of +5, so what the sword wants, the sword gets. :p (Although I just got dexterous will so I should be able to resist it now) Like converting to Pelor, or changing my alignment to NG.

It's really fun to have though, and makes for cool roleplaying.

Rashak Mani

First Post
The sword is trying to convert you ? Is that it ? :)

The only inteligent one we had was a evil sword who more or less kept quiet in order not to reveal its true moral bearing. Whats worse the Paladin was the one to wield it and never ever caught on. My dwarven barbarian character did have his doubts about the sword... but who ever hears what barbarians have to say ?!

Remove ads