• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Intentions for the new beta rules

What are your intentions for the new playtest rules?

• Do nothing, as it would require getting off the couch.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Download and read the rules but that's it!

Votes: 21 19.8%
  • Download the rules and convert an existing campaign

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Download the rules and start a new campaign with them

Votes: 18 17.0%
  • Download the rules and play a few 'one offs' or short campaigns to try them out.

Votes: 85 80.2%

• Poll closed .

Scribble

First Post
I wouldn't mind limiting the play to a few levels but character creation and having parties made up of different class combinations will let the system get tested under actual play conditions.

Basing testing around a single party got us the 3E CR system. Just make sure every group plays Jozan, Tordek, Mialee, & Lidda and its all good. :hmm:

You're insinuating a lot with little information.

By adding more and more variables you're less and less able to clearly see where a problem that crops of is stemming from.

This Does NOT mean that you do a small test and assume everything is cool. You do the test, and if everything is good, then add more and more variables, each time tracking when and where problems cropped up.

You're insinuating a lot with little information.

By adding more and more variables you're less and less able to clearly see where a problem that crops of is stemming from.

This Does NOT mean that you do a small test and assume everything is cool. You do the test, and if everything is good, then add more and more variables, each time tracking when and where problems cropped up.

So you start with a standardized party and they play through the levels just fine and then months later you find out that a party of 3 differently built fighters and two clerics kicks the pants off any other party composition and its back to the drawing board.

Scribble

First Post
So you start with a standardized party and they play through the levels just fine and then months later you find out that a party of 3 differently built fighters and two clerics kicks the pants off any other party composition and its back to the drawing board.

Yeah pretty much. Now you know there's a problem and when it crops up tells you something valuable. Without the baseline to work off of, you know there's a problem, but a million different variables that could be causing it.

Gargoyle

Adventurer
Working on a new campaign setting based on a mix of D&D, Norse, and Egyptian mythology. I figure the playtest will be a good time to launch it, and if we like 5e we will keep it that way.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
I backed Dwimmermount, and I figure I will try to convert what I can and run the pregen characters through it. If that fails, I might try some Ptolus stuff. I'm jumping in with both feet to find out how much it can emulate the feel of older editions.

Thaumaturge.

And that was post 500.

Mengu

First Post
At this point, I don't intend to do anything other than read the rules. If someone in one of my groups wants to run a play test, I might play, but I'm not too terribly interested to do so at the moment.

seregil

First Post
I wouldn't mind limiting the play to a few levels but character creation and having parties made up of different class combinations will let the system get tested under actual play conditions.

Basing testing around a single party got us the 3E CR system. Just make sure every group plays Jozan, Tordek, Mialee, & Lidda and its all good. :hmm:

While not playtesting outside a group of insiders supposedly caused a lot of the issues in 4e.

Let's hope they learned from both experiences.

Also, as pointed out, you have to start SOMEWHERE. Pregens isn't what I want, but as long as they deliver regular rules updates, expand on them and keep the ball rolling, then they are doing it right.

Mind you this is WOTC, so expect minimal communication, irregular rules updates and weird unexplained decisions galore.

To answer my own poll, I will probably do a series of one-offs. I am just starting my first Pathfinder campaign. The first game is next week. I toyed with the idea of delaying it to try the new rules but, finally, I really want to see Pathfinder in action, so I'll just do the one-offs for now.

EDITED to remove sarcastic edition-war bait statement.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Prolly a few one-offs to start, with a part-time campaign (to run alongside my actual current we're-deep-in-it campaign) once more rules (like character generation) are available.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads