D&D 5E [INTEREST CHECK] The Curse of Amberstar

Archon Basileus

First Post
Sorry for the delay. A working day found it's way in between awakening and now, hehe.

At first I'd go for something like this:

Rod of the Pact Keeper ~700 gp

Either an Amulet of Health or Gauntlets of Ogre Power - ~500 gp each

Cloak of Protection ~300 gp

Sentinel Shield ~300 gp

I'm still cooking this up and I'd love to have inputs and suggestions for prices!

EDIT: I've finished going through the sheets, and I'm o.k.ing all of them! ;) We have one last to go and then we can start!

Last edited:

hafrogman

Adventurer
I'm still cooking this up and I'd love to have inputs and suggestions for prices!
Well, I can spare a few moments musing on magic items. It looks like you're more or less using the chart from the DMG, with the exception of the pact keeper rod. Does that represent a philosophical leaning towards defense being cheaper than offense? Or just something specific for that item?

Spoilered so as to not unduly influence anyone else's musings.
[sblock]Mithril armor - the base armor is already outside of the "uncommon" item range, so I assume it's additive. So maybe somewhere in the 900-1100 range total?

+1 Weapons - In my mind, I'd place these as less effective than the 19 stats items (Gauntlets and Amulet) - 400. Or on par with the rod (700) if there's an offense tax.

JustinCase's request for lightning damage - The only real elemental damage thing I saw was the flame tongue (re-skinned to electrical) which goes into the 'rare' category, and the wonderfully vague 500-5000 range. One possibility might be using the javelin of lightning as a template, with a bolt spewing out from a target hit instead of being thrown. Combine with +1 weapon if you're feeling generous.

industrygothica's staff - Not much in terms of spell focus effects on staves, more extraordinary effects.
Staff of the Adder or Python for creepy snake action. (Maybe 300-400?)
Or, if you have the 'Lost Mines of Phandelver' adventure, there are also the Spider Staff and Staff of Defense. (500-700?)
The staff of the woodlands also seems fitting, but rare. However, I think it'd be easy to knock down to a lower level version (+1 instead of +2, less charges [or less recharge], remove awaken and wall of thorns from the spell list, and change into a sapling instead of a tree). Still a powerful item, so maybe 1000+?
[/sblock]

industrygothica

Adventurer
Been looking at magic items for Lyllie. There's not a lot in there that offers just a straight bonus to attack and damage like a typical magic weapon does, so that's taking some getting used to. That being said, I saw a couple of things that might come in handy.

First is a Pearl of Power, an uncommon wondrous item. Basically use it once a day to regain a single spell slot of up to 3rd level. Between 101-500 gp
Also is a Staff of Withering, which fits like a glove with Lyllie's character concept. A rare item, between 501-5000 gp. I'd argue on the lower end of that; it's one of those specialty items that will only come into use on the (hopefully) rare occasions when she gets backed into melee.

Then there's always healing potions.. because you can never have too many of those!

-IG

Shayuri

First Post
Think I'll go with gauntlets, cloak and shield from my list. Focus on melee, though I'll have decent ranged capability as well. Blade Pact after all...sniffle...goodbye cool floating eyebot. We shan't see you until I take Arcane Eye in a couple of levels. :)

Archon Basileus

First Post
So.... Actually I did make some choices, but for the most part they were based on other games. I tend to consider that mostly armor will get a limitation do to setting qualities, but this is not the case here, soooo.. We could bring the Blood Pact down to 400 G.P. Also, let's rise the limit to 1500 GP and use 50 g.p. as base for the multiplier. I guess that would allow everyone to get their wishes and still keep it balanced.

Also, I'm 100% behind your list, [MENTION=8858]hafrogman[/MENTION]!

hafrogman

Adventurer
I went ahead and picked up my mithril half plate and +1 crossbow, suitably renamed with more techy names. Then mundane stuff and couple of potions of healing. Should be 100% set for Yttrian.

Hm. That leaves me with 650gp to spend then.

Must hit the books and see what other objets I might want...
Archon did say he'd lower the price on the pact rod, so you could grab that.

Archon Basileus

First Post
Pretty much! I'm really all for the rod, hehehe! I want you guys to have the characters you imagined, not to cut them short on account of my personal limitations. :)

Remove ads