D&D 5E Interesting (if you like geeky analysis) little anomalies in the 5e NPC statblocks

ccooke

Adventurer
So, I mentioned a while back that I'm working on a tool that applies racial (and other) templates to statblocks. (I'm still working on it, albeit slowly; too much work recently. I was hoping to get it able to automatically pick spells this week (cantrips for High Elves, replacement cantrips for casters with races that provide cantrips they already know, cantrips and 1st level spells for Variant Humans with the Magic Initiate feat, etc)). Oh well, that can be next week.

The code I have derives everything in the statblock from values you enter. Here's the simplest statblock definition:

Code:
npc "Commoner" do
  stats 10,10,10,10,10,10
  uses :Club
end

(I think this is safe to share ;-) )
The code assumes that the npc will be level 1, challenge 0, have one language (which will almost certainly be generated as Common), etc.

So why am I boring you with this?

Because there are a couple of small anomalies that I found in importing all the statblocks, and I have this strange belief that some people might find them interesting. As to why the anomalies exist, pass. I've used all but one of these statblocks in games, and they all feel balanced. Maybe they were tweaks to get the balance right. Maybe they are the fossil record of changes in the MM statblocks - little things that weren't updated when some changes were made.

First up, the actual anomalies:
  • The very first NPC - the Acolyte - is listed as a 1st-level spellcaster, but has 3 1st-level spell slots (the slots a 2nd-level spellcaster would have). In every other case, where a statblock says that an NPC is a Nth level spellcaster, they have the spell slots of a level N PC spellcaster.
  • The Assassin has an effective challenge rating of 9, although it is listed as 8. That is, every creature in the MM has a proficiency bonus that is calculated from challenge rating, using the same table that a PC would use. A creature (Or PC) with CR 8 should have a proficiency bonus of +3, but the Assassin uses a +4
Second, some observations
  • NPC statblocks are built in a similar fashion to PCs. they have levels, proficiencies, saves, even expertise.
  • Every NPC uses d8 hit dice. All of them express their hit points as "Hit Points: <average roll> (Xd8 + Y)", where X is the level and Y is their CON modifier multiplied by X.
  • Every NPC has a proficiency bonus calculated from their Challenge Rating, using the standard PC table (barring anomalies)
  • If Skills are listed, the NPC has either proficiency or expertise. It's easy enough to see which :)
  • Standard attacks and damage are all worked out in the same way PCs calculate them. Additional effects are not. For instance, NPC effects that do something on a hit have a DC of 15. One of these is the Gladiator's Shield Bash attack. If that uses the normal Shove action, it would be a DC of 1d20 + the Gladiator's Athletics of 10 - an average DC of 20. It looks like the Shield Bash is a version of the bonus action shield bash option in the Shield Master feat, but simplified and balanced for use by the GM.

There. That's got this out of my head. Now I can just sit back and discover that I really am the only one who finds it interesting :)

Last edited:

treebear

Villager
I have noticed some of those also, and I think there maybe a few monsters where it crops up as well, but I cannot recall a specific one.

Paraxis

Explorer
I thought this was going to about things like the assassins crazy poison on its weapons, or the lizard folks spiked shields that they dual wield without any penalty gives them the AC bonus, and does 1d6 damage.

Astrosicebear

First Post
I think someone else on this forum was doing a monster analysis for CR. I think they found a Kua toa shaman thats like an 8th lvl spellcaster with 61hp and a CR1.

am181d

Adventurer
The very first NPC - the Acolyte - is listed as a 1st-level spellcaster, but has 3 1st-level spell slots (the slots a 2nd-level spellcaster would have). In every other case, where a statblock says that an NPC is a Nth level spellcaster, they have the spell slots of a level N PC spellcaster.

Is it possible this is another case of a simplified feat snuck in? (In this case, the one that grants the extra 1st level spell?)

ccooke

Adventurer
Is it possible this is another case of a simplified feat snuck in? (In this case, the one that grants the extra 1st level spell?)

Not in this case.

The Acolyte has exactly the number of spells prepared as a 1st-level Cleric would (1 + 2 from the Wisdom modifier). The Magic Initiate feat actually gives the character innate spellcasting, with one slot per day that can only be used for the extra spell. WotC has confirmed that it's fine to consider innate spells to be "prepared" (That is, if you have innate spells and spell slots, you can use a spell slot to cast an innate spell without using up one of the X-per-day innate uses), but that would still look different here.

jrowland

First Post
  • The very first NPC - the Acolyte - is listed as a 1st-level spellcaster, but has 3 1st-level spell slots (the slots a 2nd-level spellcaster would have). In every other case, where a statblock says that an NPC is a Nth level spellcaster, they have the spell slots of a level N PC spellcaster.

I think in this case one should read "acolyte" as "cleric" and assume the bonus spell is a domain spell ;-)

ccooke

Adventurer
[/LIST]

I think in this case one should read "acolyte" as "cleric" and assume the bonus spell is a domain spell ;-)
Cleric domain spells are extra prepared spells. The acolyte gets an extra 1st level spell slot.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no way in the system to get extra general-purpose spell slots other than taking a level in a class that provides them. Even items like the ring of spell storing merely allow you to cast the stored spells.

(Technically the Sorceror can create slots, but you only get that power by taking levels in the class, so the above wording still applies)

Remove ads