D&D 5E Interesting rumor re: new Ixalan set for MtG

Conquistadores were bad guys tho
Who said that, the enemy powers? I doubt you should trust these as source of information, when we know the impact of the propagandistic war. The stereotype of Spanish conqueror as a slaughter is only a smoke curtain to cover the actions by the other empires. When USA got the independence, and thanks valious Spanish help, how many universities were built in the New World comparing both sides of the frontier? When the vampires from Ixalan wear a helm like the Spanish morrion, it was intentional or not, a stereotype is being promoted. WotC worries about to be politically correct with Vistani from Ravenloft for respect for Romani community from the real life. And what about my ancestors?

And this is even worse, when there is a total silence about the depopulation suffered in Ireland in the times of Thomas Cromwell. That is s double standard. Why have I to be the only one who had to feel guilty and ashamed about the past?

Why not the morriong wore by a group of cool heores?

If a northamerican squad (Stargate movie, for example) finds an alien ship and this is destroyed to save the day then they are heroes who have defeated the bad guys, but the same action by Spanish conquerors to save innocent lives, then these are the barbarians who devastate everything they can't understand.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Who said that, the enemy powers? I doubt you should trust these as source of information, when we know the impact of the propagandistic war. The stereotype of Spanish conqueror as a slaughter is only a smoke curtain to cover the actions by the other empires. When USA got the independence, and thanks valious Spanish help, how many universities were built in the New World comparing both sides of the frontier? When the vampires from Ixalan wear a helm like the Spanish morrion, it was intentional or not, a stereotype is being promoted. WotC worries about to be politically correct with Vistani from Ravenloft for respect for Romani community from the real life. And what about my ancestors?

And this is even worse, when there is a total silence about the depopulation suffered in Ireland in the times of Thomas Cromwell. That is s double standard. Why have I to be the only one who had to feel guilty and ashamed about the past?

Why not the morriong wore by a group of cool heores?

If a northamerican squad (Stargate movie, for example) finds an alien ship and this is destroyed to save the day then they are heroes who have defeated the bad guys, but the same action by Spanish conquerors to save innocent lives, then these are the barbarians who devastate everything they can't understand.

<Insert text of the Requerimiento of 1513>

Lots (most? all?) people are from, or have ancestors from, countries that have done really bad things at some point in the past.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mod Note:
Folks, please take the collected Whataboutism to some other venue, where people don't recognize it as transparently apologetic or dismissive.

If an action taken is a problem, it doesn't become less of a problem if many people do it.

Rikka66

Adventurer
There's not really an interesting rumor in regards to the question of the topic, and Ixalan setting.

I suppose it's possible, but I don't think the point of the set will be to turn Ixalan into a Hollow Earth setting. I think it's more likely for the caverns to be in "ancient temples/dungeons/settlements" vein.

Haplo781

Legend
There's not really an interesting rumor in regards to the question of the topic, and Ixalan setting.

I suppose it's possible, but I don't think the point of the set will be to turn Ixalan into a Hollow Earth setting. I think it's more likely for the caverns to be in "ancient temples/dungeons/settlements" vein.
I mean the guy who called out the return to Ixalan before the announcement said this:

"We're going back to ixalan but we're going inside the plane this time hollow earth style, with Huatli making a return and Quintorius making his debut as a planeswalker in this set.

Showcase art has a very mayan look to it."

Rikka66

Adventurer
Then I take back what I said, my apologies.

Though I would still say that the overall setting wouldn't be defined as a Hollow Earth one. Unless they are going full Kamigawa and cutting out one of the major factions like the pirates.

Haplo781

Legend
Then I take back what I said, my apologies.

Though I would still say that the overall setting wouldn't be defined as a Hollow Earth one. Unless they are going full Kamigawa and cutting out one of the major factions like the pirates.
I get the impression that everyone's headed underground. And honestly, if you're going full "dinosaurs and vampirates" gonzo, why not throw in a hollow world?

I hope we are coherent about the politica correctness, then if a character from the side of the bad guys shows something linked with a community from the real life, then a positive token should be showed in the other side. And it is not valid if a character from the villains changes the faction to be in the side of the good guys. That is not fair. For example a vampire can't wear a turbant, for respect t the turban-wearers from the real life, but if there is a positive token of turbant-wearer in the side of the good guys. It would be really sad to watch a double standards, "to use two different sticks to measure" when somebody tells me about what I should feel guilty and ashamed.

Itxalan as a spiritual succesor of Maztica, Red Steel/Savage Coast and Hollow Earth(Mystara) is not really a crazy idea. But then WotC should start from zero for a complete world-building, or at least to desing the "empty space" for future expansions. What if Hasbro wants a zone with megafaun from the ice age? And it wouldn't be only to create the unexplored regions with wild life, but also the nations from the "Old World" and historical timeline.

And here the DMGuild could become troublemaker, because players from different countries with their own points of view about History could create characters and plots inspired in History from the real life. One could create a "rip-off" of pope Borgia, but other about Martin Luther or John Calvin as "sinnister minister" antagonists, or Barbarrosa, the famous pirate... from the Otoman empire. A module could be based in the battle of Lepanto, where Spain and allies defeats Otoman empire.

What if there are societies from Itxalan ruled by the coatls? Or "feather dragons", the D&D dragon version of the god Queztacoatl, nothing compared with the armless rain-dragons from Maztica.

Other point is if there are civilitations in the world of Itxalan based in the trope of crashed alien spaceship. Then we could see fraals (little grayskin men) and other PC lineages linked with the psionic powers.

Or Hasbro to sell toys about bugs could ask the creation of a new continent with giant vernims.

Remathilis

Legend
I hope we are coherent about the politica correctness, then if a character from the side of the bad guys shows something linked with a community from the real life, then a positive token should be showed in the other side. And it is not valid if a character from the villains changes the faction to be in the side of the good guys. That is not fair. For example a vampire can't wear a turbant, for respect t the turban-wearers from the real life, but if there is a positive token of turbant-wearer in the side of the good guys. It would be really sad to watch a double standards, "to use two different sticks to measure" when somebody tells me about what I should feel guilty and ashamed.

Itxalan as a spiritual succesor of Maztica, Red Steel/Savage Coast and Hollow Earth(Mystara) is not really a crazy idea. But then WotC should start from zero for a complete world-building, or at least to desing the "empty space" for future expansions. What if Hasbro wants a zone with megafaun from the ice age? And it wouldn't be only to create the unexplored regions with wild life, but also the nations from the "Old World" and historical timeline.

And here the DMGuild could become troublemaker, because players from different countries with their own points of view about History could create characters and plots inspired in History from the real life. One could create a "rip-off" of pope Borgia, but other about Martin Luther or John Calvin as "sinnister minister" antagonists, or Barbarrosa, the famous pirate... from the Otoman empire. A module could be based in the battle of Lepanto, where Spain and allies defeats Otoman empire.

What if there are societies from Itxalan ruled by the coatls? Or "feather dragons", the D&D dragon version of the god Queztacoatl, nothing compared with the armless rain-dragons from Maztica.

Other point is if there are civilitations in the world of Itxalan based in the trope of crashed alien spaceship. Then we could see fraals (little grayskin men) and other PC lineages linked with the psionic powers.

Or Hasbro to sell toys about bugs could ask the creation of a new continent with giant vernims.
Or, here me out.

They can take Greyhawk and replace all the sentient races with different types of birds! Parrot, Ravens, Eagles, etc. They could use the aarakroca, kenku and owlin as models for the races (and the aven? MTG crossover) and maybe other Hasbro IP (does Hasbro own the Silverhawks? If not, they can buy them, can't be that expensive). Anyway, the City of Greyhawk is the neutral avian city where the different races of birds meet in War and Peace, constantly under threat by the threat of Iuz the Vulture demon and his vrock soldiers or the nefarious cult of the Raven Queen.

Or, ya know, we can use settings as they were designed to be. IDK.

Remove ads