Internet in London (UK)

GentleGiant

Explorer
I have a good friend who lives in London. She currently has a dial-up connection (shared with 2 of her housemates), but I was wondering if there's a cheap DSL (or other) connection they could share instead.
So, are there any ISPs in London (or the UK in general) who has broadband/DSL/whateveryouwanttocallit for fairly low prices?
They're currently paying £14.99 a month for the dial-up (which I think is expensive).
The major problem is that it's fairly unstable and I know that over here in Denmark you can get a 64/64 DSL line (or is it cable?) for a little less than that amount (and it's stable, at least as stable as a DSL line can be).

Anyone? Speed isn't that important, stability is... and price, of course.

GentleGiant

Explorer
So... noone from the UK with any helpful advice?
Good or bad ISPs?
Cheap offers?
Any links to other places where UK ISPs are discussed?

paz

First Post
I suggest you try http://adslguide.org.uk/ - this is undoubtedly the best UK broadband information site. They have a large number of discussion boards, and information on most (if not all) UK ISPs.

My ISP is Nildram, who I am quite happy with, but they are fast rather than cheap.

paz

GentleGiant

Explorer
paz said:
I suggest you try http://adslguide.org.uk/ - this is undoubtedly the best UK broadband information site. They have a large number of discussion boards, and information on most (if not all) UK ISPs.

My ISP is Nildram, who I am quite happy with, but they are fast rather than cheap.

paz
Thanks a bunch, I'll look it over!

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
My recommendation would be Pipex, I'm using them at the moment just outside London and two colleagues use them inside London. I jolly good, no-nonsense broadband service from a well established provider.

Cheers

GentleGiant

Explorer
Plane Sailing said:
My recommendation would be Pipex, I'm using them at the moment just outside London and two colleagues use them inside London. I jolly good, no-nonsense broadband service from a well established provider.

Cheers
Well, the fact that they're an established provider is probably their strongest selling point. Their offers are so-so compared to others (not THAT much more expensive, but still just above the lowest offers).
But I take it that they seldom have problems with downtime and faulty connections, right?

Tiscali here in Denmark has had major problems with their accounting department (faulty bills or even bills from connections already closed down), any providers in the UK who have suffered/suffer from the same problems?

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
GentleGiant said:
Well, the fact that they're an established provider is probably their strongest selling point. Their offers are so-so compared to others (not THAT much more expensive, but still just above the lowest offers).
But I take it that they seldom have problems with downtime and faulty connections, right?

I've been using them since last November with no problems; more tellingly a colleague of mine has been using them for his home broadband for over a year without any problems. He is in rented accomodation and when he moved a few months ago it took a little less than a week and no real hassle to get his broadband connected up in the new place, which is much better than the cable operators like NTL have been in other friends experience.

Cheers

Erekose

Eternal Champion
I've been using Pipex for about 2 years with no problems. They are slightly more expensive than elsewhere but i've never had the nightmare scenarios friends have had with other providers.

Remove ads