D&D 5E Interview with Wolfgang Baur and Steve Winter about their 5E adventures.

Obviously going to be bigged by the authors but both Baur and Winter have given excellent adventures before so I can;t wait to see these. They look very interesting!

I just hope we can buy PDFs at the same time, otherwise I have to wait the slow trip from Amazon here to NZ :yawn:

DDNFan

Banned
Banned
He's right

The surprising thing that Next made myself and many of my gaming buddies realize is that what we like about D&D is not a complex rules system, but rather the freedom that arises from it polar opposite, simplicity.

Or you could call it, rules terseness. If you can accomplish more with less rules, that's better. Less is more.

5th edition scrubbed off a lot of non-essential cruft out of the system. A lean, mean, fighting machine. I don't even think there will be much room for edition warring after a while, everyone including pathfinder players will eventually migrate over. Simple, streamlined rules with better melee / caster balance but not to the straight-jacket extent that 4th ed took it. 3rd and 4th were definitely going towards ever-increasing levels of complexity and that only benefits a minority of D&D players who are interested in system mastery, I agree with this article so much. I enjoy system mastery myself, but once you master it, you are left at the pinnacle where your teammates, and worse, your DM, cannot keep up. In a simpler system with fewer rules, and rules that both make more sense and have less exceptions and wonky interactions, you have more time to spend enjoying the game itself rather than the rules minutiae (or hating them). A vanilla human warrior, for example, is not something to be trifled with in this game.

Less rules means less rules to hate. If your DM is good, D&D 5th edition will allow players a lot more freedom. All kinds of things, like being able to move attack move, attack the same or different targets after you kill one and still have another attack left but the other target is ten feet away, are simply impossible in both 3rd ed and 4th. Even 2nd, if I recall correctly, had a lot of limitations on when you could benefit from those extra attacks. I've never seen a character in 3rd ed, for example, bother spending the feats to do spring attack. Now all characters (and monsters) have it for free, as they always should have had. The game is far more dynamic than it used to be.

It's like that quote from Lincoln, and the other by Mark Twain about how it's easier to write a long speech or letter than a short one ring true to me. It's easier to write a lot of rules that interact with one another, than to boil down complex behavior into simple rules that convey the same thing.

“I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.” -Mark Twain.

Last edited:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Less rules means less rules to hate. If your DM is good, D&D 5th edition will allow players a lot more freedom.

However, therein lies the biggest potential problem 5E is going to encounter... because as you say, "if the DM is good..."

Less rules means more freedom... but it also means more responsibility on the part of the DM to make smart, fair, and interesting decisions. And if you DON'T have a good one, the game is more likely to be less than you want it to be.

The advantage of "more rules" or "codification" is that a DM can be just a "rules arbiter" if that's all they're capable of... and the game can still turn out okay. Even a not-so-great DM can still run pretty okay games.

But in 5E, we're going to ask more of our DMs. And we have to hope that after all this time of playing two editions that allowed DMs more of a security blanket in how they performed... that they've absorbed enough to now move onto a role that requires more responsibility and that they can accomplish it.

Because if not... we're going to hear a lot of stories of bad games because of bad DMs.

Patrick McGill

First Post
I like that the duo seem to have a lot of good things to say about the ruleset itself. If they got paid a bunch of money to design for a ruleset they didn't particularly like, you'd expect the answers to be a little more dry or cut/paste.

I am glad that they're going to design for 13th Age, Pathfinder, and more for Next if given the chance. It'd be cool if they started releasing adventures with conversion guides for all three.

Cybit

First Post
This is definitely on my pre-order list; I have very high hopes (and good reasons for that hope) about this adventure. Though the human warrior thing was pretty hilarious.

5E is putting the onus back on the DM, but unlike 3E, I don't feel like I have a thousand things to remember. Which makes it much easier to DM.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases