Intimidate, or "whoops I wasted my skill points"

How would you like to see intimidate treated in 4e?

• I'd like to see it stay as a skill to directly threaten people

Votes: 71 34.3%
  • I'd like to see it broadened to cover any use of fear to get my way

Votes: 99 47.8%
  • I have a third option which I'll explain in my post

Votes: 21 10.1%
  • I never take intimidate anyway, who cares?

Votes: 16 7.7%

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
D'karr said:
But in this case the particular poster had already made up his mind that "Intimidate sucks". So there is not causality. If he is already predisposed that the skill does not work as he would like, then why would he spend additional resources on it?

Most of the problems ascribed to the skill, in this thread, are really problems with the gaming group or the DM and not with the rules.

Hmm, let us objectively compare diplomacy, bluff or intimidate, shall we? We'll use the 3.5e rules.

Bluff - can either cause the target to behave how you want them to behave for a short time, or believe something you want them to believe with no limit on duration. It's opposed by a skill that most people don't actually have. Can also deliver secret messages, allow you to hide in combat and deny your opponent his dex to ac (both fairly major combat impacts with the right circumstances). Takes 1 round+ to perform.

Diplomacy - can permanently change the attitude that NPCs have towards you. Can pleade cases and negotiate deals. Resisted with a static DC that does not scale with level. Has the potential to backfire. Takes 1 round+ to perfom.

Intimidate - can change a targets attitude to you for a short period of time. Has the potential to backfire. Automatically screws up your relationship with the target over any longer period of time. Has penalties for being smaller than your target. Opposed by a score that everyone has that scales proportionally to your skill, forcing you to max the skill out and even then only have a small edge. Can also be used to effectively waste your turn (ie - you spend your turn intimidating, which may or may not work, and the effect of a success is your opponents actions are slightly impeded for his turn). Doesn't work on anyone immune to fear. Requires at least a minute except for the waste your turn option. Takes 1 minute to perform

Now, without even considering other issues - which of the three skills above are:
a) Useful in the majority of social situations
b) Useful in the roles that they are appropriate for
c) A good use of skill points to ensure that you can take part in social situations

Intimidate is useless in the following situations from a mechanical standpoint
1) You want to keep good relations with the target (ie - the target is important in any way and is not already unfriendly or worse).
2) The target is hostile and an in a superior position to you (because they're unlikely to let you stand around for a minute making threats when they could just roll for initiative).

This basically restricts intimidate to being used in the following scenarios
1) interrogating a captive after you've beaten his fellows.
2) avoiding fights that you would have won anyway.
3) interrogating someone that you could easily overpower (which is basically 1+2)

Now, there's a couple more things to hamper it's use that are not mechanical, but certainly seem widespread.
1) DMs tend to frown on players using intimidate in any public venue unless it's against NPCs who are considered extremely disreputable (which makes it difficult to sue in scenario 3).
2) DMs tend to be more prone to deciding that an NPC simply cannot be intimidated than they are to decide that an NPC cannot be bluffed or diplomed(?).
3) DMs tend to be willing to allow diplomacy or bluff to invade the space of intimidate. If an implied threat is not real, a DM is more likely to call for bluff than intimidate. If the NPC is being offered a plea bargain - diplomacy.
4) It strains credibility and hurts the campaign for captured NPCs to NEVER speak simply because noone in the party has intimidate.

Now, honestly and even before the final section - which of the three skills are worth having?

Fifth Element said:
Once more, with feeling. It'll stick eventually.
It's also totally irrelevant. The original post didn't say "the duke in the example was immune to intimidate" it said "DMs like to make their NPCs immune to intimidate", which in my opinion and looking at the posts on this board is true. A large proportion of DMs feel that if their NPC has the upper hand in any way (higher level, comparatively unhurt, numerical superiority, obviously muscly compared with the 'weakling mage' etc) then they can just ignore or harshly penalise an intimidate check.

The same is rarely true of bluff or diplomacy.

AntiPaladin

First Post
I've definitely wasted my skill points on Intimidate before. You'd think it would be a key barbarian ability, but even wit the BoNS it's just... no.

I am looking forward to 4.0 where skills are ftw!

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
DandD said:
Intimidate is useful when you don't care that the NPC will be hostile to you later, but you don't want to be bothered to fight it out with him or waste valuable magic compulsion effects on him, and it has an immediate effect, and in many cases a low DC, especially if they're already hostile or unfriendly to you. Not every NPC will try to actively oppose you. Most will just leave and hate you for the rest of their miserable low-level existence. They will never bother you, because although they hate you, they still value their life and will let that incident be.
Normally, you use Intimidate against weaker enemies.
Weak enemies who are hostile will berate you at best, flee in general, and just wimper at worst. Bullying small kobolds, goblins, dretches, cultist NPCs with NPC-classes like Commoners, Experts, Aristocrat who just suck and other weaklings is a good use for Intimidate.
Either you spill out the beans to the party and might at least get a fair sentence by the local court, or get even to leave in one piece, or Thorgar the Ever-Knuckling shall break your little finger-bones.
That's by RAW. Everyone who still has problems with that in 3.X really just has a problem with their own gaming group.

That's not RAW. RAW says intimidate in any scenario other than Demoralise takes a minute to do, while bluff or diplomacy takes less time.

Even ignoring that - you're saying that the main use of intimidate is to avoid fights that you would win.

Wow, really seeing some value there.

Ahglock

First Post
I think intimidate needs a comparative increase in power to the other social skills but maybe not a overall or actual increase in power. IOW maybe we need some nerfing. Intimidate should be basically as solid of a choice to make for a skill as any other skill, and especially equally viable to diplomacy and bluff. How we get to that point I don't really care.

mmadsen

First Post
Saeviomagy said:
Even ignoring that - you're saying that the main use of intimidate is to avoid fights that you would win.

Wow, really seeing some value there.
Winning fights without fighting should be extremely valuable -- even assuming they're all fights you would win -- but D&D's odd that way. Hit points and healing magic make combat surprisingly safe.

mmadsen

First Post
FireLance said:
How would you make Intimidate roughly as useful as Diplomacy in 4e?
As I said before, intimidation is a huge part of real-life combat, and morale has always mattered more than the things we consider so important in D&D combat. Intimidation should have the power to panic enemy troops.

Remove ads