• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Into the Maelstrom... Basic Epicness

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I've recently written a review of Into the Maelstrom, the first "Master Level" adventure in the Basic D&D line and an adventure that I've recently acquired (along with a number of other Basic D&D adventures). I'm hoping to go through each of them writing reviews along the way, but we'll see how it goes.

The actual scope of the adventure interested me, due to the discussion on D&D 4E Epicness and its support. There's little doubt that the "Master" set of D&D was the Epic D&D of its day, so what occurs in "Into the Maelstrom" to make it epic?

* The PCs must lead a large fleet of ships (which is really an extension of the Paragon level leadership of the Companion sets). This isn't that Epic, but the leadership aspect is one mostly ignored in 4E D&D.

* They're being directly manipulated by deities: their land is choking under a poisonous fog and they have to stop it. They believe its due to the magic-users of another nation at first, but eventually they'll work it out. The level of threat is Epic, even if the underlying rationale is suspect. As the adventure progresses, the three Immortals playing with them help in various ways.

* The fleet is transported into an area of space where an ancient empire's magic-users filled space with air: they get to face various threats as they look for a way home. The setting is epic, even if some of the encounters aren't. (4E does it through planar action).

* Eventually they need to fight an Immortal to make their realm safe. That's Epic (and one directly seen in 4E).

Has anyone actually played Into the Maelstrom and can tell me how it plays? It seems to require a lot from the DM and players, and I'm not quite sure if its worth it.

Cheers!

pming

Legend
Hiya.

Never played it, but I have played a LOT of BECMI (I started in '80), and all but one module (Journey to the Rock) have *always* been worth the effort. One thing about BECMI and it's module format...I can still remember, after 30+ years, something about every single one of them I either DM'ed, played in, or both. Even character names. Best thing ever about that system...it *forces* players to think and be imaginative, and it actively encourages role-playing and not rule-playing.

So, uh, yeah, if I ever did DM or play that module, I guarantee it would be worth it. :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Grand_Director

Explorer
So timely! My 4e campaign is set in Karameikos and I’m running a modified “Wrath of the Immortals”. I ran “Nights Dark Terror” at heroic tier and we JUST wrapped up “Red Arrow. Black Shield” for paragon. Naturally I turned to all my Master adventures for epic and I’m struggling to decide how I want to proceed.

Four additional comments about the "Epic-ness" of Into the Maelstrom:
First, the fact that it is clearly and directly based on the Odyssey contributes to the Epic feel in my opinion. I think it also makes it a less good game, but it gives it a resonance. "We still talk about Odysseus roughly 3000 years after the poem was probably composed--your PCs belong in the same category in their world."

Second, it's worth noting that the module is also designed to explicitly start the process of the apotheosis of the PCs--if they succeed in impressing an appropriate Immortal, that Immortal can become their sponsor on a Path of Immortality. The Paths of Immortality are a key part of Master D&D's Epic-ness.

Third, the far off weird worlds and kingdoms aren't just akin to 4E's use of planar settings for Epic--they are a direct antecedent. IIRC, the far off places are explicitly other planes, and they fit in to a general pattern where Basic-Expert adventures are intended to be all on the Prime, Companion adventures introduce the idea of traveling to other planes, but mostly in the context of occasional sojourns to the other Inner Planes (elemental or Ethereal exploits) while expecting that mostly characters will be adventuring on the Prime and being the movers and shakers in their kingdoms, and Master level adventures are assumed to include extraplanar shenanigans at the drop of a hat, including traveling to what are essentially other Primes and to the Outer Planes.

Fourth, I think the mass combat aspects are worth emphasizing. These are a major part of Companion level play as well, but part of what makes Master-level adventures Epic is that you are assumed to be capable of organizing and leading giant armies (sometimes on the spur of the moment), in addition to battling the Epic foes that lead the other armies. In this sense, Companion-level play can be viewed as introducing the idea that you would lead armies and fight wars and rule countries, and then Master-level takes it up to 11: now you rule Kingdoms and establish dynasties, or raise armies at the drop of a hat in a foreign world, or fight extraplanar armies of monsters. The analogy to 4E's structure would be introducing mass combat in Paragon (maybe late Paragon), but keeping it and turning it up to a higher level in Epic, with it maybe fading towards the end of Epic as you move beyond the capabilities of mere armies.

I'm not sure that M1 is a particularly good adventure; but Master level D&D is a great model for how to run an Epic campaign.

MerricB said:
I've recently written a review of Into the Maelstrom, the first "Master Level" adventure in the Basic D&D line and an adventure that I've recently acquired (along with a number of other Basic D&D adventures). I'm hoping to go through each of them writing reviews along the way, but we'll see how it goes.

Great idea and nice review, I look forward to the next one. :)

As regards the Poisonous Cloud in the module, might have made sense to have it cover 50 feet per minute (1 square per round in 4E parlance) as it rolls in from the coast. That adds a clear timeframe for the heroes to work under. It would also be cool if there was something to fight inside the fog (as per the movie); perhaps those killed by the fog rise as (ju-ju) zombies.

Rather than the deus ex machina ending, it would have been nice if you had to run cut scenes (with Players playing NPCs they know) of the fog rolling over major towns and cities. So while the heroes are battling Alphaks, back home, the city is engulfed in a poison fog with NPCs taking to the high ground battling against the creeping poison and the relentless tide of zombies.

This would give you a contrast of power and clearly illustrate the consequences of the PCs actions.

The actual scope of the adventure interested me, due to the discussion on D&D 4E Epicness and its support. There's little doubt that the "Master" set of D&D was the Epic D&D of its day, so what occurs in "Into the Maelstrom" to make it epic?

I remember briefly playing the Master set in around the time we got into AD&D.

* The PCs must lead a large fleet of ships (which is really an extension of the Paragon level leadership of the Companion sets). This isn't that Epic, but the leadership aspect is one mostly ignored in 4E D&D.

* They're being directly manipulated by deities: their land is choking under a poisonous fog and they have to stop it. They believe its due to the magic-users of another nation at first, but eventually they'll work it out. The level of threat is Epic, even if the underlying rationale is suspect. As the adventure progresses, the three Immortals playing with them help in various ways.

* The fleet is transported into an area of space where an ancient empire's magic-users filled space with air: they get to face various threats as they look for a way home. The setting is epic, even if some of the encounters aren't. (4E does it through planar action).

* Eventually they need to fight an Immortal to make their realm safe. That's Epic (and one directly seen in 4E).

Ticks three of the boxes (on my personal epic checklist) no 4E Epic Tier module covers.

1. Scale of Conflict - in this case the fleet combat
2. Scale of Collateral Damage - in this case the poison fog
3. Epic Revelation - in this case the origins of Alphatia: I suppose thats something of a "No...I, am your father" moment.

Remove ads