Into the Mother Lands: A Sci-fi RPG by PoC Designers

When Eugenio Vargas spoke to us on our podcast back in November about this Afrofuturist RPG, it was still months away. Now the game has hit Kickstarter, and has made over $100K in the first couple of days!

Imagine if African explorers had set sail for the New World long before Europeans did... but got transported to a new planet instead! This planet is developed by a civilisation of African descent.

1A0A38F1-68E9-4936-A255-955D391E35CB.jpeg

Choose from five cultures and several professions such as the Bio Priest or the Spine Ripper.

The team behind Into the Mother Lands is a group RPG designers, all people of colour, led by Tanya DePass, the founder of the non-profit group I Need Diverse Games.

You can pick up the PDF for $25 or the hardcover for $50, plus an array of dice, screens, maps, sheets and more.

473D92C1-6D5B-4708-876B-F3E586794352.jpeg

Last edited:

imagineGod

Legend
Don't know her well. Looked up her wikipedia page

Which says:

and

Think she was also a guest on DRAGONTALK recently

Not anti-D&D
You're projecting
Probably, English is not your basic language. That s okay. But when someone actually posts "absolutely NOT D&D, " that is not just to state no, but to clarify a strong no with the word "absolutely, " and especially "NOT'," which was typed in all Capitals for further emphasis.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Probably, English is not your basic language. That s okay. But when someone actually posts "absolutely NOT D&D, " that is not just to state no, but to clarify a strong no with the word "absolutely, " and especially "NOT'," which was typed in all Capitals for further emphasis.
Yes, it means it’s emphatically not D&D. Nothing more, nothing less.

imagineGod

Legend
I guess that’s up to them. The KS is doing incredibly well and looks like it will come in at about a third of million dollars, so they’re doing something right.
That is because the creator is a known personality and it is Afro-Fantasy.

My friend that also Kickstarted Afro-fantasy but did not have a big Twitter following, did not do so well in terns of hundred of thousands of Dollars but was still successful.

This sort of shows the right crowd following is more important than your game system.

Strangely, right now Green Ronin is struggling to break 50,000 for Blue Rose romantic fantasy 5e. Thought Green Ronin has more clout with Players.

mcmillan

Adventurer
It could be an emphasis due to a lot of people asking if it's 5e rather than any negativity towards 5e itself.

Hard to tell without context.

Anyway I wish them best, but there's no way I'd back without knowing the system.
The screenshot cut out the context of this being specifically a response to someone asking if it would be 5e because they wouldn't be interested if so
1623776171133.png

The screenshot cut out the context of this being specifically a response to someone asking if it would be 5e because they wouldn't be interested if so

For what it's worth, they transferred that answer over to the FAQ, in an update:

Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 9.53.45 PM.png

Not trying to read anything into that update, just mentioning it.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases