Into the Mother Lands: A Sci-fi RPG by PoC Designers

When Eugenio Vargas spoke to us on our podcast back in November about this Afrofuturist RPG, it was still months away. Now the game has hit Kickstarter, and has made over $100K in the first couple of days! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cypheroftyr/into-the-mother-lands-rpg Imagine if African explorers had set sail for the New World long before Europeans did... but got transported to a...

When Eugenio Vargas spoke to us on our podcast back in November about this Afrofuturist RPG, it was still months away. Now the game has hit Kickstarter, and has made over $100K in the first couple of days!

Imagine if African explorers had set sail for the New World long before Europeans did... but got transported to a new planet instead! This planet is developed by a civilisation of African descent.

1A0A38F1-68E9-4936-A255-955D391E35CB.jpeg

Choose from five cultures and several professions such as the Bio Priest or the Spine Ripper.

The team behind Into the Mother Lands is a group RPG designers, all people of colour, led by Tanya DePass, the founder of the non-profit group I Need Diverse Games.

You can pick up the PDF for $25 or the hardcover for $50, plus an array of dice, screens, maps, sheets and more.

473D92C1-6D5B-4708-876B-F3E586794352.jpeg

Thomas Shey

Legend
No, but there they go with another word with negative connotations "concerned"

If they don't want to go into the mechanics, but have been getting some negative reactions to whether it was going to be 5e based, hard to see how they could respond to that without some negative framing.

imagineGod

Legend
If they don't want to go into the mechanics, but have been getting some negative reactions to whether it was going to be 5e based, hard to see how they could respond to that without some negative framing.
So imagine if 5e was never mentioned, and the Kickstarter ended without any backers knowing the system in use.

Then backers who hate 5e kearn the system in use is 5e. Outrage!

Now consider some backers who do not like PbTA, myself for one. And the system turns out to be PbTA. I would feel cheated and want a refund.

Or imagine that instead of Cortex the creators go with BRP, and some backers hate BRP.

When you pledge money upfront, more clarity is a kind gesture to your backers, especially when you have funded over $300,000.

Notice, some cancelled pledges, but a drop in the sea of success, anyway.

Thomas Shey

Legend
So imagine if 5e was never mentioned, and the Kickstarter ended without any backers knowing the system in use.

Then backers who hate 5e kearn the system in use is 5e. Outrage!

Now consider some backers who do not like PbTA, myself for one. And the system turns out to be PbTA. I would feel cheated and want a refund.

Or imagine that instead of Cortex the creators go with BRP, and some backers hate BRP.

When you pledge money upfront, more clarity is a kind gesture to your backers, especially when you have funded over $300,000.

Notice, some cancelled pledges, but a drop in the sea of success, anyway.

I'm in no way defending being overly coy about the system. I'm just noting that the "Not 5e or D20" posts may be in response to very specific questions they've gotten; if that's what they've received, that's what they're going to respond to (personally I'd be equally put off if it was 5e or PbtA based, or various similar takes, which is why I'm not going to back it even though I think the setting conceit is clever. I may buy it later when I'm not getting in as blind).

imagineGod

Legend
Just goes to show that that's not what most people (including me) care about.
I also know many people just buy RPG books to read and never get them run on the table. I stopped doing that. It was becoming more like charity instead of a purchase.

John Wick's 7th Sea was a popular example of that. So few public games of 7th Sea run by Independents and private GMs not affiliated with John Wick. With over 11000 backers, I thought to see more 7th Sea in the wild. Guess many just bought the books to read at home or play in home groups and not run public events that attract even more Players

That is where 5e shines, despite it receiving negativity on Into the Mother Lands Kickstarter, there are many 5e games run in public.

imagineGod

Legend
I will not name and shame, but I know serial Kickstarter backers that have more games than they could play in their lifetime.

There are only 24 hours a day, and at leat 6 used for sleep daily, then work for 5 days, 8 hours at least each of those work days, then the commute, though lick down cut that, still, based on how long a session lasts 3 to 4 hours, and some Campaigns those people backed of every third party Kickstarter I know, they cannot play them all.

And apart ftom RPGs, those people purchase boardgames like Twilight Imperium that takes 6 to 8 hours one session. Not enough time for working adults to get through all their Kickstarter.

So just purchasing like a charity gift to the creators.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I will not name and shame, but I know serial Kickstarter backers that have more games than they could play in their lifetime.
So? Why does this bother you? Just worry about yourself and buy what suits you. Some of us like to collect games, or read games. We know we can't play them all. We're not buying them to satisfy you.

I've used less than half the official D&D 5E books I've bought.

imagineGod

Legend
So? Why does this bother you? Just worry about yourself and buy what suits you. Some of us like to collect games, or read games. We know we can't play them all. We're not buying them to satisfy you.

I've used less than half the official D&D 5E books I've bought.
I did not ask you to satisfy me.

I just calculated the average free time of working class people who also socialize without games. travel on holiday, watch movies, maybe do sport or some daily exercise, and then compared that time to what is required to play all the games they have, and realized it is not practically possible.

Just an observation of play time. Not about telling others how to spend money.

Remove ads

Remove ads