• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Into the New World, Chapter 1: Amongst the Verdant Towers

Zurai

First Post
Enko looks at Artimisia. "She... seemed to know you. Or at least of you. I'm not entirely sure if it was my thoughts or hers though... erm. Hm.
"The spirit knew me? I can't imagine why; I don't think I've ever seen that particular tree before. And what thoughts would you have about me that would color the spirit's message, hmmm?" Artemisia asks, arching an eyebrow at Enko with a teasing smile on her lips.
[sblock=OOC]Sorry for the brief "update"; I was headed out the door but saw an opportunity to have Artemisia tease Enko that I couldn't resist. I'll have a real update in a couple hours, I swear.[/sblock]

Dire Lemming

First Post
Enko looks a bit like a deer who's just heard a hunter as he stares at Artimisia, though he is considerably redder. "I..." He quickly realizes however that there is little else he can say without making himself look foolish, so simply fall quiet, and waits for any further questions.

Shayuri

First Post
"So..." Erin presses impatiently. "Did she say anything? Travel tips? Advice? Did she know what this...thing you've got on sticks and blankets is?"

Dire Lemming

First Post
"She um, well. No, not really. She said something about following a guide. All I can think of that she might mean is my spirit guide." Enko shrugs.

Zurai

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Because of the extended break, I'm going to interject a bit of time into the game as well. We pick up with the heroes about a week's journey from where we left them - in other words, 8 days' travel into the Noonshadow forest. At this point, they are far past the farthest anyone from Cuirlen has gone to and returned from.[/sblock]

The past week has been equal measures agonizing, tedious, thrilling, and tense. Everyone is fully aware that everything you have seen for days has been new. You have seen wondrously beautiful scenes of natural beauty, such as the pristine forest glade with the miniature waterfall spilling into a crystal-clear pool of water, untouched by the ashfall; at the same time, you've seen things that make even the most hardened hunter cautious - trees with massive claw marks fifteen feet off the ground, swaths of underbrush trampled by creatures that must be of immense size, strange and frightening hoots and calls at night.

And yet, nothing significant has happened. Your progress has been slow but steady as you blaze a trail through the forest in a generally northwesterly direction, towards the distant mountains. You've managed to hunt and gather enough food along the way that you havn't needed to eat into the supplies given to you by the Council. The weather has been relatively pleasant, with only one rainstorm, on the fourth day of your journey, which presumably cleared away most of the lingering ashes, as you havn't seen any since then. All told, things have been tiring but almost pleasant.

This day, Artemisia volunteered to be the forward scout for the party, with Thane watching behind the group. Travel is uneventful again for the first half of the day, but when the main group stops for their mid-day rest and meal, neither scout returns to the camp, as is the usual procedure. Even by the end of the hour break, there has been no sign of them.

Last edited:

Dire Lemming

First Post
Enko, who always seemed a bit unsettled when Artimisia left is now quite obviously worried. Constantly shifting and looking out into the trees. "Um... I think we should go look for them. They should be back by now, but what if they got hurt or something?"

Zurai

First Post
[sblock=Flashback: Journey Day 4]The constant steady rainfall and distant rumbling thunder set the mood for the day in the pre-dawn hours. By the time of the mid-day rest, everyone is tired, irritable, and soaked to the skin - everyone, that is, except for the paralyzed creature captured from the raid on the camp the first night in the forest. It has almost seemed to wilt with every passing hour and by mid-day it hangs limp in its stretcher, not even bothering to lift its eyelids. Its skin had gradually drained of all color until it seemed almost translucent, and its breaths were sparse and ragged.

Finally, it gave one final breathy gasp and ceased all movement. Enko's healing spells and herbs were of no avail; the creature was dead. Not sure what else to do, he insisted on burying it. However, even before he was finished digging the grave, Enko noticed a small glowing light dancing around the creature's corpse. A closer inspection revealed it as a sourceless ball of light - it appeared to have no physical or spiritual presence whatsoever. As everyone watched, another light appeared and hovered over the fallen creature, then another and another. After a few moments, all four lights dipped and spun in the air, then darted away into the trees. Attempt to follow them failed - the lights vanished without a trace into the dreary boughs.

No one knew what the lights were, where they'd come from, or where they'd gone to. The creature did not seem to be affected by their presence, and the lights ignored the party while they were present. Finally deciding that they needed to get moving, the toothy creature was buried and the party continued their journey.[/sblock]

WarShrike

First Post
"I agree" says Ryon. Ryon begins searching for Artemisia's tracks a ways further on. "In theory, tracking Artemisia should be easier. If she's still ahead of us, her trail should be fresh and unblemished, whereas Thane would be walking along our trail and mixing his tracks amoung ours. We should catch up with her first. If Thane got lost or something, well, Artemisia will probably have an easier time finding him than i would."

Remove ads