• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Intra-Class Power feats?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Patlin said:
I'm a little concerned that if most Warlock powers are only available to a third of the warlocks out there, having enough warlock powers to choose from might be problematic. Unless the Warlock Power section is just big enough to compensate, of course.

I think this may be making an assumption that there is no overlap. I could easily see invocations that belong to multiple pacts, and some basics that are in all of them.

It could also be like the rogue preview where there is just one list of powers, but some have additional effects depending on your pact. That would be in keeping with what we saw as the rogue, but would make it hard to add additional pacts in the future.

Cheers,
=Blue(23)

Dunamin

First Post
Stealing powers

Now as to inter-class powers, I can definitely see a paragon path that allows the character to steal powers (particularly suitable for rogues, of course). Something akin to the Spellthief and similar classes and prestige classes in 3.x, but now much more broad and thus useful.

Ten

First Post
I would imagine it would be something like what we have seen with the rogue, as mentioned.

Pew Blast of Pew
Warlock Attack 3
You charge and subsequently fire lasers.

Encounter [ ] Arcane, Implement
Standard Action
Target: One creature
Attack: Charisma vs. Reflex

Hit: 2d8 + Charisma modifier laser damage.
Pixie Pact: During your turn, you may fly up to twice speed. If you do, forfeit your standard action.
Evil Thing Pact: The damage is fire type, and if you hit the target bursts into flames for ongoing 1d6 fire damage til they save.
Cthulu Pact: You awaken Cthulu. You are immediately allowed one turn to curl into a ball and cry before the game ends permanently.

Something like that.

Dark080matter

First Post
Dunamin said:
Now as to inter-class powers, I can definitely see a paragon path that allows the character to steal powers (particularly suitable for rogues, of course). Something akin to the Spellthief and similar classes and prestige classes in 3.x, but now much more broad and thus useful.

Well since Magic and Martial and Psionics and whatnot are all going to be an integrated whole in the new Power system, this class sounds kind of like a "Blue Mage" who can Copy powers he has encountered/been the target of in the past... rather than a straight-up Spellthief or Combat Mimic or anything so narrow.

I wonder what kind of Power Source one might put such a class in... well, actually, something as utterly impressive (and potentially game-breaking) probably ought to be its own Epic Destiny. Think about it, a hero of great power who can assume the identity, form and powers of anyone or anything... and his ultimate (level 30) goal is to become a unified Gestalt (dictionary definition) of every form of life on Earth and merge with the Lifestream... wait I'm mixing my fantasy metaphors aren't I?

Dunamin

First Post
hong said:
Inter-class powers is basically the multiclassing mechanic, isn't it?
Ah, but what I am suggesting is a paragon path and/or epic destiny that gives you attacks that momentarily grants you one of the powers of a target you hit, while making it unavailable for that foe (effectively, "stealing" it for a while).

Dunamin

First Post
Dark080matter said:
I wonder what kind of Power Source one might put such a class in... well, actually, something as utterly impressive (and potentially game-breaking) probably ought to be its own Epic Destiny.
I did intend for it to be a paragon path and/or epic destiny, rather than a class in its own right (because these abilities are only effective when you have foes with powers worth stealing).

hong

WotC's bitch
Dunamin said:
Ah, but what I am suggesting is a paragon path and/or epic destiny that gives you attacks that momentarily grants you one of the powers of a target you hit, while making it unavailable for that foe (effectively, "stealing" it for a while).
Mmm... blue mage....

Quickleaf

Legend
Lurker37 said:
Inter-class would be 'Can a non-warlock use multiclassing multiple times to take warlock powers from more than one warlock pact? For that matter, can anyone multiclass to take a warlock power without first making the appropriate pact, or does multiclassing somehow find a loophole in the pact system?' And you know, now that I've come up with those questions I realise that I don't know the answer. And I'd like to. *sigh*
I've though about how inter-class multiclassing could be handled through a feat. Here's my rough draft...

Witch-Blooded
Heroic Feat
Prerequisite: Must be taken at 1st level
One of your recent ancestors was a witch who passed on the “gift” to you, and you may bear a witches’ mark. Other witches treat you as one of their own, for better or worse. You have an intuitive understanding of witchcraft; gain a +2 bonus to Arcana checks and you may substitute one of your powers with a corresponding (at-will/encounter/daily) Warlock power. You may select another Warlock power at Paragon and Epic tiers. Most witches are Fey-pact Warlocks, though a few serve more nefarious masters.

Stalker0

Legend
Yeah, looking at the rogue I agree the warlock's powers may work that way.

Warlocks choose their pact, gaining 1 pact ability, and then certain powers will be enhanced by that power. Seems straightforward enough.

Remove ads