Intra-Class Power feats?

Patlin

Explorer
We know that there are some circumstances in which a character of one class can aquire a power from another class. We also know that warlock powers (some of them) are divided by pact. Anyone know if, for example, a Fey-Pact warlock can use a feat to take a fiendish-pact warlock power?

I'm a little concerned that if most Warlock powers are only available to a third of the warlocks out there, having enough warlock powers to choose from might be problematic. Unless the Warlock Power section is just big enough to compensate, of course.

Cyronax

Explorer
Patlin said:
We know that there are some circumstances in which a character of one class can aquire a power from another class. We also know that warlock powers (some of them) are divided by pact. Anyone know if, for example, a Fey-Pact warlock can use a feat to take a fiendish-pact warlock power?

I'm a little concerned that if most Warlock powers are only available to a third of the warlocks out there, having enough warlock powers to choose from might be problematic. Unless the Warlock Power section is just big enough to compensate, of course.

I don't think this'll be as great a problem as you think. Warlocks will at the least be able to take Wizard powers, which means that these two classes share powers in a way akin to warlords and fighters. For proof look to the ray of frost (wizard attack 1) power on the warlock pregen character sheet from DDXP.

I'm skeptically optimistic. I'm a hater-lover of 4e so far.

c.i.d.

Cyronax said:
I don't think this'll be as great a problem as you think. Warlocks will at the least be able to take Wizard powers, which means that these two classes share powers in a way akin to warlords and fighters. For proof look to the ray of frost (wizard attack 1) power on the warlock pregen character sheet from DDXP.

I'm skeptically optimistic. I'm a hater-lover of 4e so far.

c.i.d.
That's a multiclassed ability from the Half-Elven racial power, not something most Warlocks can normally do.

Stalker0

Legend
R&C did mention that high level warlocks can gain the benefits of two pacts. It would seem that this aspect is similar to the binder. You start out only using one vestige at a time, but eventually gaining more.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Stalker0 said:
R&C did mention that high level warlocks can gain the benefits of two pacts. It would seem that this aspect is similar to the binder. You start out only using one vestige at a time, but eventually gaining more.
Yup what he said, the official quote from R&C is:
As your powers grows, the pact becomes more and more important, granting you powers and perceptions beyond the reach of other mortals. The very best warlocks can establish two pacts, playing the two forces against one another and drawing strength from both.

I love having my R&C and W&M books by the computer :)

Goobermunch

Explorer
Patlin said:

If the rogue preview is any guide, I will wager that Warlock pact powers get bonuses depending on which pact you have.

For example, Positioning Strike (see below) gives a bonus to "Artful Dodger" build rogues, while Torturous Strike gives a bonus to "Brutal Scoundrel" type rogues. Based on that, I'd wager that rogues of either build can take any power, but have an incentive to play to type. Likewise, I'd wager that warlocks can take any power, but will gain bonuses for taking powers within their pact type.

Positioning Strike
Rogue Attack 1
A false stumble and a shove place the enemy exactly where you want him.

Encounter [ ] Martial, Weapon
Standard Action
Melee weapon
Requirement: You must be wielding a light blade.
Target: One creature
Attack: Dexterity vs. Will

Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, and you slide the target 1 square.
Artful Dodger: You slide the target a number of squares equal to your Charisma modifier.

Torturous Strike
Rogue Attack 1
If you twist the blade in the wound just so, you can make your enemy howl in pain.

Encounter [ ] Martial, Weapon
Standard Action
Melee weapon
Requirement: You must be wielding a light blade.
Target: One creature
Attack: Dexterity vs. AC

Hit: 2[W] + Dexterity modifier damage.
Brutal Scoundrel: You gain a bonus to the damage roll equal to your Strength modifier.

Of course, we won't know until the 4e PHB is out whether this is a fair inference, but it seems odd to outline a bonus if only one build can use the power.

--G

Lurker37

Explorer
Hence intra, because the query is about a Warlock sworn to Pact A taking powers from Warlock Pact B using the multiclassing system.

Inter-class would be 'Can a non-warlock use multiclassing multiple times to take warlock powers from more than one warlock pact? For that matter, can anyone multiclass to take a warlock power without first making the appropriate pact, or does multiclassing somehow find a loophole in the pact system?' And you know, now that I've come up with those questions I realise that I don't know the answer. And I'd like to. *sigh*

Last edited:

Patlin

Explorer
Lurker37 said:
Hence intra, because the query is about a Warlock sworn to Pact A taking powers from Warlock Pact B using the multiclassing system.

Yes, my concern is whether a power designated Warlock(Fey) is available to warlocks who are not fey-pact. All inside the same class.

Remove ads