• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Intrigue, plot help.

Roffen

First Post
I want to make an adventure where intrigue is a major factor.

I am not entirely sure on how to do it.

I'm afraid, I'll have to flesh out a lot of major characters, their agendas and motives, foes & friends etc. Seems like a lot of work.

The plot in my campaign so far (just starting up), is that there seems to be a framed person that the characters jsut met. He has told the characters his life-story and the characters trust him somewhat.
I want the plot to involve major city officials, conspiracy and even some backstabbing.

Since we're just getting back into action after a long time away, the first few sessions have been mostly rolling dice and getting back into the rules, so not much plot so far, though there has been some introduction the the plot.

How do I turn the characters onto the trail of corruption? Should I leave clear signs or just subtle clues? I don't want to railroad them too much.
Can I involve some degrees of success, according to their solving of the intrigue?

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Start by making a map of the non player characters involved. City officials, city guards, merchants, clergy, hirelings, and whomever else you are thinking of for the story. Then connect each character to each other. Who knows who, what their relationship is (being blackmailed by, hired by, friend of, co-conspirator, plotting against, underling, someone who saw or heard someone else do something, and so on). Then lay down a track of clues that lead from one to the other (paperwork that proves corruption, list of people to kill with some names crossed out, stolen items, letters between characters talking about the situation, contract that connects a killer to someone, overheard conversation, rumours about a character, etc.).

Really the hardest part is to make the clues easy enough to find, and easy enough to connect, but not too easy.

delericho

Legend

I'm afraid, I'll have to flesh out a lot of major characters, their agendas and motives, foes & friends etc. Seems like a lot of work.

Much of what I learned about intrigue adventures came from running way too much "Vampire: the Masquerade". In particular, I found the original "Chicago by Night" supplement incredibly useful. I also recommend reading the Alexandrian's blog, particularly the posts about node-based adventure design and the three-clue rule.

Anyway...

I would suggest starting by pencilling in the big factions in your setting. For each of them, indicate what they want, their relative strength, and any special resources they have available. Don't bother with lots of detail at this stage - we're talking big picture stuff. So, if the Emerald Claw have access to a few mercenaries, don't bother to list it; if they have a dragon at their beck and call, though, you want to note that down.

Draw a network connecting the factions that know about one another. (Usually, this means connecting every faction to every other faction, but if there's a secret force out there they can be omitted.) On the connections, note down how these two factions relate to one another. Stick with simple relationships here - The Emerald Claw hate the Silver Flame, and vice versa. Lady Catherine is contemptuous of Lord Borric, but Lord Borric is secretly in love with Lady Catherine. And so forth.

Anyway, that's your big picture stuff. Going forward with the campaign, this will give you a feel for how the various factions will react to the events that happen. Basically, the PCs are going to start plucking the strings... and now you know what music will result.

You're then ready to start getting down to adventures.

The plot in my campaign so far (just starting up), is that there seems to be a framed person that the characters jsut met. He has told the characters his life-story and the characters trust him somewhat.
I want the plot to involve major city officials, conspiracy and even some backstabbing.

Okay, what you have here is an NPC who is associated with one of the factions, who has been framed by another faction. Your network diagram should help you here - pick one faction for the NPC to belong to, pick a competing faction to do the framing, and you've got your villains. (Let's assume our NPC was a member of the Silver Flame; he's been framed by the Emerald Claw to discredit that church.)

Now, build your specific villains as members of your 'enemy' faction. These are specific characters, so try to tie them to the faction in some specific way - if the Emerald Claw has a tame dragon available, perhaps one is a half-dragon child?

From there, work out specifically how they've framed your NPC, and what trails of clues can lead the PCs back to them.

Be sure to throw in a few characters who are associated with other factions (either as alternate suspects, as complications, as allies, or whatever). And perhaps one or two others who are unaligned - one of my favourites is basically a clone of Inspector Javert from "Les Miserables", who doesn't really care about intrigues, but has an iron devotion to the law, and an unreasonable reverence for titles.

Oh, and one more thing - try to avoid characters who are obviously utterly good and trustworthy, and characters who are obviously utterly evil and corrupt. That makes for a very simple game where the Paladin just uses detect evil and the party hack their way through the black hats. In my experience, you'll get a more satisfying intrigue campaign if even the best characters have something of a dark side, and even the worst of villains have some redeeming features. Oh, and everybody has something to hide, even if it's just that they're embarrassed to admit they enjoy watching reality TV.

How do I turn the characters onto the trail of corruption? Should I leave clear signs or just subtle clues? I don't want to railroad them too much.

In general, for every secret you want your PCs to discover, you want to plant three clues in locations where they're likely to look. Chances are they'll miss one, overlook the importance of the second, but finally 'get it' with the third.

Making your clues obvious enough without being blatant is a bit of an art. My advice is to err on the side of it being too obvious, at least at the start - bear in mind that what is obvious to you with perfect knowledge may well not be obvious, especially when the players only have parts of the puzzle. Bear in mind also that you can always make the clues more subtle as you go along, whereas if they're too subtle from the outset your players are likely to become frustrated.

Can I involve some degrees of success, according to their solving of the intrigue?

Yes. Perhaps the best way to do this is to have some lesser mysteries leading up to a big mystery. As the PCs solve the lesser mysteries, they face a small "end of mystery" encounter. When they solve the big mystery, they face the BBEG... plus anyone else they haven't faced yet.

That way, if they do well they can take down the enemy network piecemeal. If they do poorly, they have a much harder end battle. Either way they get the same XP and treasure, but the 'successful' route is easier.

Karak

First Post

Since we're just getting back into action after a long time away, the first few sessions have been mostly rolling dice and getting back into the rules, so not much plot so far, though there has been some introduction the the plot.

I still use the Ravenloft Tarot card deck to identify the identities of people in conspiracies and so forth. It is random and that helps me as it keeps my own mind thinking. The more plotted out I write a conspiracy the worse mine seem to get, and locked down.

Instead I go the opposite way of others.
I basically decide there are a particular number of people at the head of the table and then use the cards to identify them(normal playing cards could work too). Then I go down from their. For me, that is when I get the really really interesting connections that I would never have created on my own.

The cop working with the mortician to hide bodies. The doctor who is also working with them simply because the cop has dirt on his weird sexual excesses. His wife who is sleeping with another man who happens to be the cops best friend.

That kind of thing. I tried for years to just make it up. But when I used something random like the Ravenloft cards the worlds just lit up. It made my mind work and when it was working it came up with its own possible clues and they were far less railroady than writing it out.

Some examples of card use
Clubs would have to do with manual labor, physical people, blunt people, action without words
Diamonds would be the elite. Monied individuals and those who thought themselves above others.
Hearts were artists, poets, or in fact people in romances
Spades were the wildcards. The weirdoes, the druggies, the prostitutes, the dark seedy part of life.

2-10 on the cards game me ideas like how much influence they had, or perhaps how many contacts they had.

So if I got a 4 of hearts. I could create a writer in a town investigating a body selling business with 4 potential contacts in town. Or something really odd like, he runs at 4am before he writes. The cards really let my mind just flow.

Cards can be used for businesses as well in almost the same way as above.
8 of clubs would be a local gym where a couple of the toughs who help the body selling business "get bodies" work out. All of them wearing an 8 of clubs tattoo.

Last edited:

Feed each of your players a sheet with character motivations, some secret facts, and a secret goal for their character that will result in significant rewards if achieved.

Then make sure that the goals do not align precisely with each other. It's best if they aren't diametrically opposed, but still conflict in some ways and are congruent in others.

Step back and watch the scheming begin! The players will do most of your work for you if set up right.

Roffen

First Post
Thank you all for the good advice. I've started drawing lines between the guilds & characters, between the ideas and schemes.

Luckily, I will have about 2 weeks before the next session.

I'm afraid some of my players are lurking here, so I won't disclose any details until after they've been encountered :/

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Don't think of plots and such for each NPC but think of the plots and then attach NPC to them, this is just your plot and some bullet items on the level of attachment. There are three types, public (everyone knows), shadow (may or may not be known, whispered about and no proof) and secret (hushed and has not become known).

Example:
Plot 1 - Drug Trade - Public Plot:
  • Control - Gang A
  • Mules (shadow) - Smugglers and some farmers
  • On the take (shadow) - being paid off
  • Dealers (shadow)- those that pass it out
  • Users (shadow) - those that use
Plot 2 - Church X rise to Power - Shadow Plot
  • Control - Church X but as a shadow plot not know by all
  • Sub-plot 1 (secret) - kill the leader of Church Y
  • Sub-plot 2 (shadow) - reduce power of Church Y by propaganda
  • Sub-plot 3 (public) - increase public awareness
  • Sub-plot 4 (shadow) - place supporters in office
Now when you create a NPC you just attach the plot to them. Like if I did the Mayor, I could say see Plot 1 - User, Plot 2 sub-plot 3 & sub-plot 4. This tells me that the mayor is a drug user and is whispered about, part of the church X public awareness program but is also putting people that support church X into office. He is unaware that the church he is part of is also trying to kill the leader of church Y, this could hurt him later.

You only have to come up with a few plots this way. Guilds and Churches always have plots and sub-plots.
General Plot ideas:
Human Trafficking - The control of jobs, work forces and labor (Legal or illegal)
Energy - in a fantasy game more that just coal and wood
Food Production - prices and taxes
Borders - those that control your borders
Trade - Promotion of your goods in other places

Last edited:

Nytmare

David Jose
I've learned that a lot of times, and as long as it isn't happening every time, it matters less that the clues get them to the right place, as long as later in the story they'll be able to look at what happened, and the line of clues they hadn't figured out and have an "Aha! THAT'S why the washerwoman had Lady Broomfeld's necklace in her pocket! If only we had figured that out sooner!" moment.

Ravilah

Explorer
A side note about getting characters involved in the intrigue:

Not all groups are inherently interested in following clues about bureaucratic corruption...unless that corruption has personally screwed them over. For example, if the party saves a messenger from assassination, the faction who sent the assassin assumes they are working for the other. Now they are involved whether they like it or not. Or if the Church forces them to tithe a hefty portion of their treasure when they go to get healing. Or if their favorite tavern gets burned down by extortionists, or a pet NPC gets executed by the new Duke, etc. ect. ect.

If the party has been personally stung by corruption, you won't have to dangle the clues in obvious places. They will actually start looking for the clues and making plans to unearth the venal roots.

Remove ads