• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Introductory Dungeons & Dragons

S'mon

Legend
Inspired by a post on Grognardia, my 1-page d20 D&D rules. Planning to use these with my son once he learns to talk. :D

Introductory Dungeons & Dragons

I recommend Basic Fantasy RPG as the template, but any OGL version of d20 D&D should work (eg 3e D&D, C&C), as long as it uses "higher is better".

Task Resolution Mechanic: Roll Target Number or higher on d20+Level to succeed.

Combat: PCs normally act first, unless surprised, then alternate. A hit inflicts 1 Wound.

PC Fighters
Level XP Wounds to Kill
1 0 2
2 20 3
3 40 4
4 80 5
5 160 6
6 320 7
7 640 8
8 1200 9
9 2400 10
10 3600 10
+1 +1200 +1/2 levels

Base AC: 17 (heavy armour), 15 (medium armour), 13 (light armour), 11 (no armour)
Shield: +1 AC.
2-handed weapon: +1 to-hit.

Fighting Defensively: Add Level to AC rather than to Attack roll.

Multiple Attacks
Level Attacks
1-6 1
7-12 3/2
13-18 2
19-24 3
25+ 4

Magical weapons and armour bonuses apply normally.
Healing potions restore 1 wound.

D&D monsters may be used normally. A monster's Level = its Hit Dice

Monster Attack Bonus & Wounds both = monster Level

Damage: Monsters normallly inflict 1 wound per attack. For BFRPG, S&W etc those that do 2d8 on a hit can inflict 2 wounds, 3d8 3 wounds, etc.

XP: Monster XP totals are divided by 10 (1 orc = 1 XP). Optionally 100 gold = 1 XP.

Sample monster stat block:

Orc: Level 1 AC 14 XPV 1

abhorsen950

First Post
It sounds fine to me but ive only been playing with DnD starter set 4ed

But i found that quite easy to follow.

Nice to see people making the effort to get youngbloods into the hobby.

ABH

Aus_Snow

First Post
I like it. Actually, just a week ago (or so) I was thinking of a superfast Hits-to-Kill system for d20. . . and since then have encountered two takes on it here on EN World! However, only this one is anywhere close to what I was contemplating.

Are those multiple attacks specific to the Fighter? And how are they determined for other classes (if differently) and for various monsters (same again) ?

Also, how will things like magic, poisons, and so on work?

Kazoo

First Post
I've been playing Dungeon!, the old TSR Boardgame based on D&D, with my 5 year old. He loves it. He even plays by himself sometimes.

S'mon

Legend
I like it. Actually, just a week ago (or so) I was thinking of a superfast Hits-to-Kill system for d20. . . and since then have encountered two takes on it here on EN World! However, only this one is anywhere close to what I was contemplating.

Are those multiple attacks specific to the Fighter? And how are they determined for other classes (if differently) and for various monsters (same again) ?

Also, how will things like magic, poisons, and so on work?

There's only the one PC class (Fighter) - this is designed to be playable by 5 year olds. :) Wizards etc are intended to be NPCs.

Monsters normally get the number of attacks in their stat block, wherever you take it from. Eg B/X Trolls will have 3 attacks (Level 6 AC 16 ATT: 3, regen 1 wound/round after 3 rounds, except from fire/acid). If that would overpower the monster, give 1 attack per full die of damage - eg troglodytes (Level 2 AC 15) have 3 attacks doing 1d4, I'd lower that to just 1 attack in ID&D, same as most 2 hd creatures like gnolls.

Magic works normally - swords give you plusses to hit, magic armour raises AC, magic potions turn you invisible or heal a wound, etc.

Aus_Snow

First Post
There's only the one PC class (Fighter) - this is designed to be playable by 5 year olds. :) Wizards etc are intended to be NPCs.
:( Oh.

But no, that does make sense of course. Guess I was looking forward to seeing what the Wizard (etc.) would look like, is all. Heh, ever curious.

Looks quite neat, all up. :)

S'mon

Legend
:( Oh.

But no, that does make sense of course. Guess I was looking forward to seeing what the Wizard (etc.) would look like, is all. Heh, ever curious.

Looks quite neat, all up. :)

Since you insist, here's the ID&D M-U, based off the BFRPG Wizard:

Magic-User to Level 10

Level XP Wounds Spells by Level (1-6)

1 0 2 1 - - - - -
2 25 2 2 - - - - -
3 50 3 2 1 - - - -
4 100 3 2 2 - - - -
5 200 4 2 2 1 - - -
6 400 4 3 2 2 - - -
7 800 5 3 2 2 1 - -
8 1500 5 3 3 2 2 - -
9 3000 6 3 3 2 2 1 -
10 4500 6 4 3 3 2 2 -

The Magic-User cannot wear armour and cast spells, so AC 11.
The Magic-User only adds 1/2 their level to rolls, including attack rolls.

NB I gave both Fighter and Magic-User 2 Wounds at 1st level as dying in 1 blow is no fun, especially when you're 5 years old. Their low AC still makes them plenty vulnerable.

Remove ads