• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Invisibility and Detect Magic

Azazu

First Post
Lets say the party rogue turns invisible. Could an enemy with detect magic active clearly see the rogue. Thats assuming the rogue has magic items on his person.

thanks

Wolffenjugend

First Post
I believe that has been discussed before.

IIRC, the answer is yes; although detect magic takes 3 rounds to pinpoint someone (who will probably move to avoid detection).

So detect magic works, albeit not very well.

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
I believe that a character would be able to locate an creature hidden by Invisibility via detect Magic even if the creature had no magical items as Invisibility is a functioning spell but the invisible creature would still have Total concealment.

allenw

Explorer
Camarath said:
I believe that a character would be able to locate an creature hidden by Invisibility via detect Magic even if the creature had no magical items as Invisibility is a functioning spell but the invisible creature would still have Total concealment.

I believe this is the official answer, assuming that the Invisible person stays in the detection arc of the Magic Detecting observer for three consecutive rounds. The observer wouldn't necessarily know they were detecting an Invisible person, but they'd know there was a magic aura (Illusion, if they made their spellcraft check) in that square.

Thanee

First Post
Yes, but it takes time (3 rounds) and it's only really useful, if the rogue isn't moving.

BTW, there's no need for magic items, the invisibility is magical already.

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Sejs

First Post
Yep, as stated already it can be done, but it takes a few rounds of concentration to do it.

See, this is why Non-Detection and Nystul's Magical Aura are your friends.

Remove ads